Dash attacked...need Prayers. pics included GRAPHIC!!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KrazyKritterz

So this evening Blaze 1 of my 3 Blue and White brothers attacked Dash. I need hopes and prayers for him He's in bad shape called My vet and the clinic on call for them doesnt see exotics so he is going in as soon as they open tomorrow morning. I have pain meds here at home that I was instructed to give him a very small dose of. Its for pain and inflammation and its helped. Hes fighting all cuddled with mom. They are 13weeks old and were getting neutered next month after my Daughters Birthday. They normally sleep together and do everything together and I came home to my husband staying He just heard them fighting and found dash like he is and Chase was hiding and Blaze was on top of Dash. Nothing they were fighting over like for or anything. Im posting pics but WARNING THEY ARE GRAPHIC.This is about 1 hr after the medications on swelling went down alot. I gave him Baby food and pedilite for extra. He is urinating ok and having Bowel movements but they have some blood in it. I know he has internal bleeding so I need prayers for him.I do know that Blaze He's always been biggest and mostvoutgoing. Dash was next biggest and Chase was runt but recently chase weighed more then Dadh and he's felt skinny so He had a appt for next week to check for parasites etc. Im not sure if someyhing else os going on to make Blaze attack...im so upsetHe has several bite wounds on his back and sides but his stomach got the worse of it. His abdomen was swollen and dark purple and his testicals were darker then in picture. I Cleaned his wounds and applied neosporin per vet amd gave pain meds.
15zo8bl.jpg
e9hkdt.jpg
w1a78p.jpg
9719ww.jpg

2s9al3k.jpg

It's good you've used the pain meds and that inflammation has come down. Rats can actually heal very quickly from even deeper bite wounds. Your vet may put him on a basic antibiotic, like amoxicillin to counter any bacterial infection. For the time being, if you've gently cleaned the area (you say internal bleeding; what makes you think it's internal versus regular bleeding from the immediate first layer or two of skin); just keep him warm, hydrated, and as calm as possible. About eight weeks ago one of my boys bit another of my boys deep in the abdomen, just above the penis. He removed a chunk of skin about the size of a large pencil eraser that went deep into the meet of the abdomen. I cleaned the area with some mild soap and water and put Polysporin on the wound, which my boy licked right off. I put him on amoxi for two weeks. It took a good four to five days for it to scab over well, and he still has a scar there - but unless the wounds are so deep that they require stitches, they will begin to congeal and scab over overnight so that most bleeding stops. I just wonder if, if there's a chance of internal bleeding, if an NSAID might thin the blood? Perhaps others here can advise. I hope your little one mends soon. Sending healing thoughts his way.

Where did you get that baby from? He looks younger than 13 weeks. At 13 weeks males are the size of a small female if not bigger.

Did you introduce them on scary grounds and then neutral? that rat who attacked him meant business with that wound and the placement of it.

Where did you get that baby from? He looks younger than 13 weeks. At 13 weeks males are the size of a small female if not bigger.

Did you introduce them on scary grounds and then neutral? that rat who attacked him meant business with that wound and the placement of it.

I had 3 brothers. Dash is the smallest. He weighed onky 187 grams today. I have had them for 6 weeks and they were 6-7 weeks when I got them. Hes on special diet. Hes been back and forth to vet. Hes been loosing weight. I also was given and dewormer for him too to give in a few days just in case. Chase and Blaze are bigger...and orginally Chase was the smallest.

Sorry I had to wait til after class. Good news hes gonna be ok. On pain meds, antibiotcs and probiotics, he is on some baby food and block mush. But going bathroom ok and eatting and drinking hes being a trooper.
Also Blaze was sperated and is now living with my friend. He cannot hurt anyone there. Shes gonna get him neutered asap.

I am really sorry Dash was in that situation (scary for him) and I hope he heals quickly!

That said I am not trying to be negative or lay blame at all...I'm really just trying to help...

I went back and read a few of your other posts, and noticed you have added a lot of rats in a fairly short period of time. You had Chase and Kiwi...then added a week later, Dash (Chases brother?), and then about week later again you added 'rescues' Blaze and another black self male....and then the poor little stowaway, who appeared sick when he came home...he was introduced to your boys and then rehomed, due to them not getting along...(all in a couple of weeks, if that) the girls....plus you have another brand new male rat pup

You mentioned at the time, you got the two 'rescues' that Dash was not bonded to you, or really his cage mates, beyond sleeping together. And who ever bonded Chase (who you were bonded with) would stay.

You also mentioned in your rescued girl Kiwis name change thread, that your landlord only allowed you one cage, and in your new cage thread you mentioned you could not have a cage bigger than the new one....but you kept your females cage hidden....you only had Kiwi then, but now have even more females? (In another post where you offering a black hooded male ? For adoption. You mentioned you have guinea pigs, mice, and a hamster...)

Anyways, I did bring all that up for a reason...I think this might go a bit beyond simple hormones, and girls that can cause this type of behaviour suddenly with boys... I think with so many rats coming and going, that are not being quarantined properly in some cases, and do not seem to be introduced properly and slowly. At a period when your boys are hitting puberty, is likely making them feel a tad insecure and more likely to attack anyone, even cage mates they once got along with.

The fact it was so aggressive, says to me at least....that they are feeling insecure and feel threatened. I have seen lots of graphic fight pics, and noticed in my experience that this serious of wounds, usually happen after a few hiccups or near misses, that the owners thought might be workable...but weren't. Not a first fight types of wounds. Which is why I think they are feeling insecure and threatened.

I think right now, you could likely remove some of the tension by giving them more room, even if it means they all or some live in smaller cages...but get more roam time...Stop bringing home any new rats, unless they do not upset the boys club.

Anyways, I really am not trying to be negative...or harsh. Sorry if it comes across that way.

I hope Dash is better soon!

Last edited:
Right now I have Chase, Dash and Saphyra & my other Blue Girl. They are kept at my home. The Boys are in my cage as posted in the new cage I posted about.
So updates on all
Kiwi A.k.a Spaz,(never had any babies-just chunky) I finally my friend from my CNA Class (Creedence) took her and she got her a Nice PEW friend from Petco they are doing Great. Plus the stowaway as I posted in that thread I found a Home for. He has been neutered and added to my Friends two Girls with Spaz and Grace (PEW'name)
Onyx the Black Self. My Brother Charles took him and He is taking Kasper as My Daughter Dubbed The new (Beige and White) rescued Pup. He is spending his quarenteen here. He has only a few days left and was also vet checked. he will be joining my brother and Onyx. He also has owned rats and nows all the intro procedures. Both are getting neutered once Vet agrees they are ready.

The post I made about the Rescue from petco with cage said in post that if anyone could take him I would go get him but No one replied and when I got to Petco He had been adopted. So I never got him.

ok so please dont think im mad or anything but i will explain myself. I dont always post everything and sometimes I forget that I need to post on threads that the ones I rescued all cannot stay so I quarentine everyone they all get vet checked and once clear I find new homes.
First I understand that your trying to help thats all but as siad in 1of my very First posts that I was back after years. Back in 2008-2009 etc... I ran a rescue for rats. I am familiar with rats. I have also worked at a vet hospital the one that cares for my rats for 8 yrs. Also I have attended Vet Tech School and Animal and Business Management which everyone knew when I was a member years ago. My name at that time was TwilightRatz I even attended at gathering in Toronto with Lauren (Lilratsy) from here one year and meet some of the people on this group. Still have my shirt lol. But I couldnt remember by login info cause it was so long ago. I had to rehome all my babies in 2010 when me and my Ex split I had to move into my parents home and they wouldnt allow the rats. Lauren she got some of my rats and the others went to my friend Michelle. But I lost touch with Lauren.
With all that said again Im not upset but i figured I would explain my situation. I stopped working at the clinic 2 weeks ago and am currently working on CNA Classes to go on to be a medical assistant. I tryed to remove the threats that were no longer needed like the Male I was putting up for adoption ididnt even get as said he was adopted from petco already.
Now I spoke to my Landlord regarding that there were orginally nothing stating we couldnt have rats. He was scared of them. I introduce d him to my boys and he saw they are not like wild rats and He did ok and we even signed agreement that I can Have a larger permanent Rat Cage and tha as long as I only Kept the one large cage of rats he didnt care how many are in there. I am getting a Large cage that I will be posting about but lost my though with everything going on. For now its dividable. girls on bottom and the boys are on top but I am making divider to keep them seperate Until Chase and Dash get neutered then My girls and them will intro together.
The cage I had is going to my brother for Oynx and Kasper.

He told me that if I have rescues thats ok but they cannot stay for long. They stay in quarentine in and homemade cage in my daughters room they arent even in my living room where My boys are. So they arent even close. My rats are only introduced to those I keep. Although they did meet Spaz (Kiwi) orginally. I had intro Chase and Dash and Blaze (they were brothers) Dash has been bonding with be and Chase well ive done one on one with him. And he even comes to his name and snuggles now. but once again I just dont post all. Blaze now has been taken back by my breeder friend He came from. she is getting him neutered and will tro to intro him to her mischief if that doesnt work she will find a nice home for him. If you read in his rescue post you'll see he was returned to her supposedly because owners were moving but the only returned him and she siad they had mentioned having a friend for him. So we arent sure if thats why he was really returned of if he did something to her other rat.

Also i do have a Guinea Pig-Popperz and a Hamster-Elsa and also a colony on mice. But its wasnt cages that was the problem it was Rats that were the problem so thats why he said only one rat cage. Hes mire ok with them now but they scared him at first so he was worried.
Im sorry its long but it updates all and explains all my situations. I will update my post and also make a update Post then everyone will know.

Also Dash is well today. Eating, running around and even chewing on his toys he is seoerate right now in a smaller cage ( about 2ft x 2ft. This was vet preference while he heals.

Thanks all for thoughts and prayers.

Update of Dash. Good and Bad news. Eating and Drinking well. Bathroom habits good. Gaining weight and active. Gwtting meds well however begining last week he chewed his scab alot and started to bleed. Making scab larger. Did good until today...completely chewed scab off and his abdomen is open. No blood but I can see unside. Pictures tomorrow. Cannot get him to vet until beginning next week (not on sunday ER clinuc doesnt do rats). Good thing ive worked for a vet for 8yrs and I have supplies here. But Im not sure who to get him to stop chewing at it. Im keeping it clean and covered with his ointment. He is still on meds. Any ideas on how to get him to stop chewing off scabs. Otherwords he wont heal.....

Did you try a body wrap? I know they hate it but it works well as long as you can help with eating and vertical mobility.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Did you try a body wrap? I know they hate it but it works well as long as you can help with eating and vertical mobility.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Does anyone has photo of this wrap. I know we've tried before on rats at the clinic and they chew it off or get out of it.

Back