Critter Nation cage for just two rats?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Francis

Hullo!

So I'm off the waiting list at the local rat breeder now, and finally getting two baby rats on Nov. 22! (once they've reached six weeks old)

I've more or less decided on the Critter Nation cage as their new home. Just wanted to get your thoughts on whether it's possible to have TOO MUCH space for a pair of rats? =)

I think it will help keep life interesting for them while I'm not around, as I work full time during the day.

I also wanted to ask you whether the square frame holding each panel of wire mesh looks like it could be disassembled and the mesh removed? I want to do this because I would prefer to get the mesh powder-coated white to improve the appearance of the cage. I'd get the cage either way, but I'm curious whether this would be doable.

Thanks for your opinions and information!

Francis

Are you getting the single or the double CN? Single is perfect for 2 rats and maybe even a couple more friends. A double for 2 rats might be a bit of over kill, but the more space the better gives you more space to decorate.

First, very nice choice on a cage. Critter Nations are amazing cages for rats!

I don't think its possible to have "too much" space for rats. As long as it it well decorated and full of stuff, they should have a blall with the choices of what to play with, where to hide/sleep, etc.

I don't think the mesh can come out of its framing easily, or if it will go back properly once its out. Besides, I don't think powder coating something that is already coated would work, and would just fall off after a short period of time, look really bad, and (most dangerously), be available for your rats to ingest, which is a really bad idea.

Have you considered rescue over getting from a breeder? It is much more fulfilling to know that you helped a few homeless rats find homes, and rescue rats often make the best pets! I love my three rescue girls immensely, and was so glad I found a rescue before I found a breeder (because I was looking for one as well!). Good breeders (ones that track health and temperment for generations, to make sure their offspring is the best they can be) are next to impossible to find in Canada, and most will not produce offspring that are up to par every time. The vast majority of them will just buy rats at the pet store and let them breed without tracking anything. It's really unfortunate, but rescues can guarantee the health and temperment of their rats better than breeders (since they spend so much time with them, and know them really well).

I personally think its wrong to pay for more rats to be brought into the world when there are literally thousands out there that are unwanted and need homes. Little Mischief rescue is literally on your doorstep and is a wonderful rescue with lots of rats available, including babies. I urge you to at least look into them to see if rescuing might be right for you.

Here is their website: http://www.littlemischiefrescue.org/index.html

I have 3 rats in a royal savic cage(pretty much identical to a double CN), and they aboslutely LOVE it!
In my opinion, rats can´t get too much space..
Mine mostly use the upper half, but I have food and veggies + play stuff in the lower half..

The more space the better!

I have 7 in 2 double FN's joined together.
Although I do find, rats like the top half more :giggle:

I agree with Liz... at the very least do a little more research into the breeder you are getting your rats from. There are a handful of very questionable breeders in your area that talk a good game. I'm sure your rats will LOVE a CN, whether it's a single or a double.

If you are looking for faster cleaning, less time tidying up and more time playing, the single CN would be perfect for two girls. But if you have lots of time and want to give your rats a paradise home, the double CN will be appreciated.
Once you see the CN, you might not even want to change anything. It's a very nice cage, nice colour, well coated.

I agree that you couldn't have too much space for the ratties to roam in. It all depends on how much cleaning you want to do.

I would also encourage you to look at some rescue rats. If you have your heart set on two already set aside for you, you will have so much space.... ;)
maybe add one or two rescues to the two you are already getting.

We currently have our 3 boys in a double CN, although we hope to get a few new fuzzballs in the new year.

Also, shameless plug for MomRat Magic Fleece Liners here. :)

Wow! Thanks everyone for your great replies! That's a lot more input than I was expecting, what an active forum! Now I know where to come when I have rat questions... and I do already have some more :)
(I'll start other topics for them though.)

eagle said:
Are you getting the single or the double CN? Single is perfect for 2 rats and maybe even a couple more friends. A double for 2 rats might be a bit of over kill, but the more space the better gives you more space to decorate.
Yes, I forgot to specify, the double CN cage. I was thinking it could be a bit overkill too. What I've decided, though, is I'd rather spend the extra for the larger cage and have them possibly not really need all that space, and then just convert it to a single storey if I needed to, rather than buying just the single and wishing I'd got the double after all.

MMak said:
I have had 2 boys in a double FN for 8 months now and it's worked wonderfully :)
Do they still tend to spend time together or does all that space make them less sociable with each other? Do you think males generally take up more space than females or make use of the space more? (I'm getting two females.)

lizmo1221 said:
First, very nice choice on a cage. Critter Nations are amazing cages for rats!

I don't think its possible to have "too much" space for rats. As long as it it well decorated and full of stuff, they should have a blall with the choices of what to play with, where to hide/sleep, etc.

I don't think the mesh can come out of its framing easily, or if it will go back properly once its out. Besides, I don't think powder coating something that is already coated would work, and would just fall off after a short period of time, look really bad, and (most dangerously), be available for your rats to ingest, which is a really bad idea.
Thanks! Haha I think I'd agree with you about having "too much" space for rats... impossible :) If I got the mesh powdercoated, I'd first have the existing finish sand-blasted off. (You can't actually apply powdercoat over another finish.)

MissGuardian said:
I have 3 rats in a royal savic cage(pretty much identical to a double CN), and they aboslutely LOVE it!
Mine mostly use the upper half, but I have food and veggies + play stuff in the lower half..
Hmmm I'm a little worried this might happen, where the additional space would become a bit redundant... but it sounds like you found a good way to keep them interested both parts of the cage, and I like the idea of there being a food/snack area (and where I'd also keep the litter pan (yes I plan on toilet training them! haha)) and the play/leisure area up top. Why do you think the rats like the upper area more? Better lit? Better ventilated?

Ratty Momma said:
The more space the better!

I have 7 in 2 double FN's joined together.
Although I do find, rats like the top half more :giggle:
Again, I wonder why! haha

victoria said:
I agree with Liz... at the very least do a little more research into the breeder you are getting your rats from. There are a handful of very questionable breeders in your area that talk a good game. I'm sure your rats will LOVE a CN, whether it's a single or a double.
Well, let me tell you which breeder my rats are coming from! It's Evergreen Rattery. I did try to do my research, just by checking out the breeders' websites, their policies, and the other breeders they associate with, but I didn't actually get any external input from people like you, and all the other rat-lovers here! You can have a look at my rats (or rather, the ones reserved for me) if you like, on this and this page ... Samba and Requiem! (they have my name below them)

DadRat said:
We currently have our 3 boys in a double CN, although we hope to get a few new fuzzballs in the new year.

Also, shameless plug for MomRat Magic Fleece Liners here. :)
Haha, I'll look into those ;) Thanks!

jorats said:
If you are looking for faster cleaning, less time tidying up and more time playing, the single CN would be perfect for two girls. But if you have lots of time and want to give your rats a paradise home, the double CN will be appreciated.
Once you see the CN, you might not even want to change anything. It's a very nice cage, nice colour, well coated.
ryelle said:
i am down to two rats now and just changed my CN/FN type cage from two to one just for ease of cleaning
Joanne said:
I agree that you couldn't have too much space for the ratties to roam in. It all depends on how much cleaning you want to do.
Yeah if they don't really use the extra level that much then it wouldn't be worth the additional cleaning time, so in that case I can just downsize it. But yeah, jorats, I might find that I like the look of it anyways, so then I wouldn't need to go to the trouble of refinishing it!

lizmo1221 said:
Have you considered rescue over getting from a breeder? It is much more fulfilling to know that you helped a few homeless rats find homes, and rescue rats often make the best pets! I love my three rescue girls immensely, and was so glad I found a rescue before I found a breeder (because I was looking for one as well!). Good breeders (ones that track health and temperment for generations, to make sure their offspring is the best they can be) are next to impossible to find in Canada, and most will not produce offspring that are up to par every time. The vast majority of them will just buy rats at the pet store and let them breed without tracking anything. It's really unfortunate, but rescues can guarantee the health and temperment of their rats better than breeders (since they spend so much time with them, and know them really well).

I personally think its wrong to pay for more rats to be brought into the world when there are literally thousands out there that are unwanted and need homes. Little Mischief rescue is literally on your doorstep and is a wonderful rescue with lots of rats available, including babies. I urge you to at least look into them to see if rescuing might be right for you.

Here is their website: http://www.littlemischiefrescue.org/index.html
Joanne said:
I would also encourage you to look at some rescue rats. If you have your heart set on two already set aside for you, you will have so much space.... ;)
maybe add one or two rescues to the two you are already getting.
Hmmm, I have already decided against getting rescue rats. Thanks for your suggestions/concern, though!

So, generally, it sounds like the cage is a go! I'm hoping to order it tomorrow from Flower Town Chinchillas, once I hear back from them whether the ones they have in stock have the updated shelf design.

Thank you all for helping me decide!

MissGuardian said:
I have 3 rats in a royal savic cage
This cage looks better than the Critter Nation!! It has proper sides to contain the bedding! Rather than having to get the aftermarket bedding trays for the CN. I'm going to have to look into whether these are distributed in Canada or even the US. Anyone know?

Some comments on your post:

Yes, I forgot to specify, the double CN cage. I was thinking it could be a bit overkill too. What I've decided, though, is I'd rather spend the extra for the larger cage and have them possibly not really need all that space, and then just convert it to a single storey if I needed to, rather than buying just the single and wishing I'd got the double after all.

I agree. Its also great that when you fall in love with rats, you have the space to get up to 10 more, since you already have the room! If you find you don't use one half at all, you can always sell it on kijiji or somethng as an add-on for a nice price.

Hmmm I'm a little worried this might happen, where the additional space would become a bit redundant... but it sounds like you found a good way to keep them interested both parts of the cage, and I like the idea of there being a food/snack area (and where I'd also keep the litter pan (yes I plan on toilet training them! haha)) and the play/leisure area up top. Why do you think the rats like the upper area more? Better lit? Better ventilated?

Keeping the food and toys on the bottom is a great idea to make full use of the cage, but I wouldn't reccommend putting the only litter pan down there. If rats have to go way out of their way to take a poo there, they won't bother and just poop anywhere (my girls will even poop where they sleep sometimes so they dont have to go the eight inches to the litter box!). Especially when you are training them, and even after that, having at least one litter box in each half would be best. Personally I think they won't really use the full cage. I had six female rats in a double CN before (the max number of females you can have in a SINGLE CN, and they hardly ever used the bottom, even with all of them. But like I said above, having the extra space would be nice if you want to get many more, or you can sell it.

Also, don't count on food and toys staying where you originally put them, haha! Rats love to stash their food wherever they want and redecorate their cage. I would spread food and toys out evenly to make things easier on you and them.

They like the upper area more because it is closest to you! They love to come to the front of the cage and say hi, lick your fingers, etc, and just watch you as you go about your life. I think for some rats, like my girls, also like to sleep as high as possible. Not really sure why.

Hmmm, I have already decided against getting rescue rats. Thanks for your suggestions/concern, though!

May I ask why? I am not trying to be argumentative I am actually quite curious. Why you would be against such an amazing avenue for getting animals?

So, generally, it sounds like the cage is a go! I'm hoping to order it tomorrow from Flower Town Chinchillas, once I hear back from them whether the ones they have in stock have the updated shelf design.

They do. I was one of the first to get the new design, and I got my cage in July. I love it!

Thank you all for helping me decide!

You're welcome! :D

Francis said:
MissGuardian said:
I have 3 rats in a royal savic cage
This cage looks better than the Critter Nation!! It has proper sides to contain the bedding! Rather than having to get the aftermarket bedding trays for the CN. I'm going to have to look into whether these are distributed in Canada or even the US. Anyone know?

Not likely. They were manufactured by Savic for the European market because CNs and FNs are not available there. Even the smaller Savic (and Ferplast) cages are quite pricey here because they are imported. I know quite a few people have made pans for their cages from coroplast or had metal ones made for a reasonable amount of money. Maybe you can make a thread asking for advice on doing that.

Francis said:
Do they still tend to spend time together or does all that space make them less sociable with each other? Do you think males generally take up more space than females or make use of the space more? (I'm getting two females.)

I have two girls in a single CN and they love it. I open it up almost every time I walk by just to play "hand-tag" with my hyper ratty. She's able to run and jump over stuff - really helps with her energy level. lol
As far as making them less sociable with each other - I don't think so. I'll find them sleeping in different areas than the other, but I think that's normal and good for them. Even when I had a smaller cage, if there was only one hut in it, I'd often find one ratty curled up in the corner of the cage by herself. Everybody needs space sometimes. They still snuggle and clean each other often.

If you're debating getting a double and you aren't concerned about the cost, I'd do it. Even if you don't use it right away.

They still sleep with each other all the time. I don't think it changes their socialization at all.. if anything it should help calm things mood-wise as they have room to get away if one of them is bothering the other.
Bucks (males) are generally larger in size then does (females)...so theoretically bucks do take up more space. However, females are known to be more hyper, so probably would make "more use of the space".
:)

Francis said:
MissGuardian said:

You also have the advantage that if two rats don´t like each other that day, they have a big enough cage so they don´t HAVE to be in eachothers face.
I also have toys and stuff in the lower part. They still use the upper part the most, but they have done that with every cage I´ve ever had, no matter the size(from barely big enough to two males permanently, to this cage that holds up to 10 rats..(we generally calculate with more space per rat than you do I think).
I think mine like it better because there are less "dangers" on top, and they have a better view of things..

There MAY be savics over there, or you might get it shipped(I know of people getting CN´s shipped here), but it would probably be expencive..

Think of it this way... if you could live in a bigger house with more entertainment - would you?

Back