Connect two cages

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found this thread and I'm amazed it's not more popular or hasn't really been active for ages. Or is everyone using Critter and Ferret Nation cages and I'm the only one connecting cages... :D

So here are the cages I'm connecting - a bird cage at the bottom and (I think) a rat cage on top. (Please note that it's still a work in progress. :) )

I'm still trying to decide whether I want to use the top cage's bottom part in the middle or not. It would solve the problem of the wire "floor" in the middle but would probably be a pain trying to attach it.
The cages aren't actually connected yet but the plan is to create a nice sized door on the roof of the cage on the bottom.
At first I was also planning to connect the cages with zip ties but I'm trying to find another solution because I want to be able to get the cages apart easily when cleaning and decorating.

So I guess that's all for now. What do you guys think? Your ideas, thoughts, anything? :)

I've never connected two cages so I have no tips but it looks like it is going to be great!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

We have a 'frankencage' that my hubs made for when our boys outgrew the baby one storey cage. Two guinea pig cages, one bottom. Its not huge and now its the 3 old girls cage but its handy and sturdy.
We used cage clips to attach, wire cutters and metal file to ensure there were no sharp edges! So no taking it apart but I find it easy enough to clean.
The top section now has a plastic panel inside instead of the fabric as eventually that got gross and chewed up. Tried a few different 'floor' options a a Rubbermaid lid ended up working well.

2ytugama.jpg

de6ytasa.jpg

Last edited:
1511049_10154010965655611_6717211126729482053_n.jpg

This is my current frankencage for my two boys c: I use clips and zip ties to secure it. I also use these stick on floor tiles to cover the cage floor parts to the rats have a solid surface to walk on.

Last edited:
Those cages look so nice. :) Thanks for posting!
I've also been thinking about using somekind of a plastic lid thing on the wire floor. I don't think I'm going to use any fabric material (except for hammocks) since they'd get so bad so fast.
Actually it's not even that common to use fabrics in cages in Finland. So it's been kind of new to see how many of you use the fabric stuff to cover floors! :D

(Sorry if this message is a total mess. Got up a while ago so I guess I'm still half asleep. :D)

Back