Connect two cages

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Synnøve

At the moment i have a cage that is going to be too small for the girls soon. So I have to find a solution. I found a pretty cheap, used cage that's a bit bigger than the one I have now. Since it's so cheap i don't have to sell the other one. Therefore I thought i might try connecting the two together.

The one i have now is actually a big hamster cage. On the top of the cage there are two rectangular openings, and in each there is a plastic "thing" with a hole in it, where the tube that is on top of the cage is connected. ( God, i have crappy explanation skills :oops: )
I've thought i might be able to in some kinda way make a bigger tube fit in those holes, and than connect that tube to the cage which has no tube opening... ? Jeez, i don't know..
Or maybe I could take the bottom of the smallest cage, and place it on top of the other one?

Any suggestions on how to do this?

That's what I would do, remove the bottom of the smaller cage, so you can put the top on the bigger cage and they can have access through the hole for the tube, if it's big enough.
Pics would surely help.

It's the smallest cage that has the tubes on the top, so i would probably just find a way to close them. The big one has an opening on the top, so if i removed the door, and put a ramp or something like that in there, they could climp up. But is it hard to clean "double cages" like that?

There's the bigges cage(the blue and white one):
79_-788081474.jpg

And here's the smallest (the one i have now):
bur2-1.jpg

(this is not how the cage is decorated now, and of course i don't use that bedding :wink: )

Naah isnt hard to clean, when i had temporarily 2 connected cages; i connected my smaller cage with tie wraps on the bigger one. removed the upper door and they had a whole lot of space. mostly cleaned it out by putting it onder the shower and dry it with a towel, or sometimes remove the tie wraps for a good clean. no problem at all. But the white cage looks very timy to me, and small doors are not a plus. And you have to remove the tie wraps every week to clean the cage well. But you will found out the best way if you have the cage(s).

I think that's a great idea, I've connected cages often. As long as the doors are big enough, it should be easy to clean.

Here are pics of how I have connected 2 cages:

Two martins R695s connected side by side
2connectedQuicke-mailview.jpg

Two super pet cages connected one on top of the other:
(The top cage, which was given to me, doesn't have a pan but I am going to try to get one.)
Jan10hookedtogether.jpg

By cutting holes in the sides of the cages in order to connect them, I do not lose any floor space. I am going to order small doors from martinscages.com to attach so that both cages can revert to being stand alones if I want to do that at some time.

This is how I connected mine. I have 3 1/2 cages together. I don't keep the trays, just use the roof of the other cage for the floor.

Oldcagecart.jpg

mamarat said:
This is how I connected mine. I have 3 1/2 cages together. I don't keep the trays, just use the roof of the other cage for the floor.

Oldcagecart.jpg

I know this is an old post but I was wondering what you used to connect the cages?

I am not sure but I am thinking she probably used cable zip ties...that is what I have used in the past when connecting cages, tubes etc in my rat cages,

I have found that gardening wire that is coated in plastic is read handy for connecting cages together also. My girls were in a hamster and bird cage i joined together it was a good temporary home before I got their huge cage.

Having a wire bottom to the cage can cause bumblefoot and other injuries in your rats! If you do this you should use plexiglass (or some other plastic/wood) to cover the wire floors to make sure your rats feet stay healthy!

Last edited:
Having a wire bottom to the cage can cause bumblefoot and other injuries in your rats! If you do this you should use plexiglass (or some other plastic/wood) to cover the wire floors to make sure your rats feet stay healthy!

If you look at the photos, you will see the floors are covered. For your information, wire floors alone do not cause bumblefoot - hard floors that are not cushioned (or bedding like YN everywhere), bacteria, obesity, genetics and immune vulnerability are all contributing factors. Using wood to cover the floors would make it much more likely a rat would develop bumblefoot or serious respiratory issues!

You should also note this thread is very old and no one has posted in almost a year.

Back