CCRR's newest rescue craziness ---Just Got Waaaayyy Worse

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck and I'm hoping the rat spays go well.
My vets use intra-dermal sutures with spays & other surgeries and we've never had any problems with chewing or anything significant.

I just thought I would take a few minutes and update you all with what is going on here. The spays unfortunately never worked out. But it is great to know that we found another option for a good rat vet.

The litters weren't as bad as we thought. We ended up with 11 total when we could have had 37.

We are now working out adoption fairs with different businesses in the area. Today is our first event so wish us luck. I set it up for just a few hours at first to see how things go. Hopefully we can find lots of great homes this way. But I am nervous about approving adoptions on the fly. Normally my adoption process takes a week or longer due to all of the screening I do. However, when you have over 100 rats and have lost count you really do have to be creative on your rehoming. Especially when my comfort level numbers are somewhere more around 30 rats looking for homes.

But all in all we are doing well. We have a few rats who are battle respritory issues who are being treated and all of the socializing that we have to do. But OMG can baby rats eat and poop. Not much different then human children I guess. Just eating and pooping machines. So cage cleaning is no longer just on one day as it used to. Cage cleaning is EVERYDAY! LOL.

Thank you again to everyone who has supported the rescue through all of this. It is so appreciated.

Staci

It's good to hear you're getting some help to get them adopted out! That's great and so lucky there were only 11 babies lol wow did you get lucky there!
Keep up the great work~!

i think its 11 litters out of a possible 37.

how many rat babies did 11 litters bring you too? it must be so busy there, is it foolish to ask if you have any pictures?

Yes it was 11 litters....And honestly I lost count of how many that is. I just know it is triple digets at this point. Before babies started popping out I had 97 rats. The average litter in this group was 8. Some had less and a few had more. I don't think I can bring myself to count for fear of fainting. Plus I have some in foster homes and they keep changing their mind weekly on who is keeping who and how many LOL! Gotta love those failed fosters! And pics.....Um ya....Didn't happen. I think my fosters have taken pics. I will see if I can get some links from their photobucket accounts and post them if I can.

Staci

Back