CCRR's newest rescue craziness ---Just Got Waaaayyy Worse

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eagle said:
Staci, I can foster a couple for you. Sounds like you will still need foster help.

Thanks! Once I get a train worked out to KS I will let you know. I have a couple of other people down there who want to foster as well.

Staci

OldsGal said:
eagle said:
Staci, I can foster a couple for you. Sounds like you will still need foster help.

Thanks! Once I get a train worked out to KS I will let you know. I have a couple of other people down there who want to foster as well.

Staci

No problem, depending on your stock of Harlan I will need to order that also. Worse case I can always make a trip up there also, I still remember the way.

Ok I don't want to jinx myself but I thought I would update the qwest for e spays. We have found a vet here locally who said that he has done spays on rats before. He actually works with the local zoo on all of their animals so he truly is an exotics vet LOL. In any event he said it had been a while since he had done one but he is willing to try it again. He also is willing to work with the rescue on the fees for the spays. He is agreeing for somewhere around the $75 mark that we had been quoted before by other vets. He also works nights (which I had no clue this vet was there nights...How sweet is that for emergency stuff).

So I am going to take two rats to him on Thursday night for him to try some spays on to refresh himself before he commits to much more. From there he will let me know what he thinks he can handle and how many he can crank out at a time. He also said that there is a good chance that he can also lower the rat even lower then $75 but he wants to do a couple first just to be sure.

So far no one is looking mega pregnant just yet. The ones who did have already had their babies or are already placed in foster homes to have their babies there.

I am going to take the high whites in first as they are the biggest worry. So fingers crossed that he can handle this and that they make it through the surgery. I am hoping that he can get these cranked out quickly and he is talking about possibly doing 15 at one time. That would be awesome. And if he is willing to do that and everyone comes through I think I might have found a new vet for the rescue! Woot!

A huge thanks goes out to one of my local adopters/supportes who isn't on this forum but she is the one who did all of the leg work and phone calls to make this happen. This is actually her vet. We had called this clinic previously and been told that no they didn't do spays on rats and if they did they would want $300.

So there is the update. Please work out! Please work out! Please work out!

Staci

I'm so crossing my fingers for you!! This would be excellent if he can do it. I know that with my vet it didn't take long for her to become an expert at spays.

your house is AMAZING!!!!
:cheeky:
That's something Peter and I wanted to do too, but with Cole being a year old when we had to move out of the city, we didn't have the time to do any work.
So when he moves out in like 20 years, maybe... :giggle:

Wish us luck! We have two of the first e spays tonight. The girls are tucked away here at work with me. I brought the girl with the black strip down the back and white head as well as the split cap girl from the first batch taken out of Jungle Exotics. I am a bit worried about the white headed girl as she is a bit congested sounding. Hopefully she makes it through the surgery. But she is top priority on spays as her litter if she is pregnant is high risk mega colon.

I have never had a rat spay before so I am a bit nervous. I am thinking I am going to ask them to send me home with some surgical glue just in case since I live so far out.

Also these girls are getting the best of the best working on them tonight. The vet said he is going to pull in his Zoo Vet Tech to assist him tonight! Just so long as they don't return as monkey's I will be fine! LOL

Staci

I just got an offer on another forum for a rat train to Chicago. She is from the Chicago area and is willing to drive from Chicago to Lincoln next week some time and then deliver them back to Chicago so anyone in that area who is interested let me know and I will get your in touch with the right people.

Staci

Wow! I have to say that your house is competely amazing, you have to have a lot of imagination to see what a School could turn into...I would have never thought of that!!!!

Glad to hear the e-spays are starting! I hope the best to everyone, and I really hope you can get the funds to get everyone done! I wish I were closer, I would totally help with fostering!!!

Back