carefresh

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missnikki

I am wondering if natural carefresh brand bedding is safe for my new rat. I used the colored carefresh in past with mice with no issues, however the mice didn't like the "natural" carefresh. What do you use for bedding with your rats?

I've never liked carefresh but only because it's very dusty and that's something to avoid with most rats. However a lot of people use it and it doesn't affect their rats.

MissGuardian said:
Not to steal the thread, but what´s carefresh made of, and why is it so popular?

It's made out of wood pulps that are too short to make into paper. Some people (including myself) like it because it absorbs odours fairly well and is soft/fluffy and is comfy for rats/mice to walk on and burrow into.

missnikki said:
I am wondering if natural carefresh brand bedding is safe for my new rat. I used the colored carefresh in past with mice with no issues, however the mice didn't like the "natural" carefresh. What do you use for bedding with your rats?

I have used both the Ultra (comes in white or colours) and the Original and find the first is not dusty but doesn't absorb odours as well as the original. I like them both, and still use them with my mice but I switched to fleece with the rats a few years ago.

I find it too dusty.
Ultra is the best to use, if you decide to use it.

If I were you, i'd use Yesterdays news or shredded news paper (provided it's made with soy based ink)

I have always used Carefresh since learning the toxic issues with wood, and having almost all my rodents - at the time - being allergic to Aspen. I've never had much problems with it and my ratties always loved burrowing into it, etc.

Asheka said:
I have always used Carefresh since learning the toxic issues with wood, and having almost all my rodents - at the time - being allergic to Aspen. I've never had much problems with it and my ratties always loved burrowing into it, etc.

How did you determine your rats were allergic to aspen?

smilez_n_hugs said:
Asheka said:

How did you determine your rats were allergic to aspen?

Well, it's personal opinion cuz I found the Carefresh too expensive at one point and switched to Aspen cuz the one pet store sold "bulk" bags of it and they all started sneezing immediately once I switched them and as soon as I switched them back to the Carefresh no more sneezing...*shrugs* I didn't want to try it again afterwards....

Talked to my vet and she informed me that Carefresh is good - also said there is a corn base litter good for rats as well.

If the corn based litter is Corn Cobb, then it's not very good for rat's as it causes bumble foot because of its very tiny and hard.
Carefresh is only good if your rat's dont have sensitve resp tracts.
Personally I find it smells and it's very dusty.

Ratty Momma said:
If the corn based litter is Corn Cobb, then it's not very good for rat's as it causes bumble foot because of its very tiny and hard.

And they may eat the corn and corn dried corn can contain toxic mold i think for all rodents(i think even worse once wet?).

lilangel said:
Ratty Momma said:

And they may eat the corn and corn dried corn can contain toxic mold i think for all rodents(i think even worse once wet?).

Corn bedding is actually corn cob bedding and I don't think there's a risk of mold because it has been heat treated/cooked BUT the ones I have tried were scented and not labeled as such. I also doubt they'd be the best bedding for rats as it is very fine and would not provide them with the same ability to burrow or nest with it. I personally don't mind Carefresh (love it for my mice) but prefer fabric bedding and Yesterday's News in the litter boxes for my rats.

CrocHunter said:
dried corn is not bad for rats. Even Jo will reiterate that.

Fresh corn is okay, but not dried and the bedding is terrible, I just rescued two rat's that were kept on corn cobb bedding, Number 1 they had bumble foot, Number 2 once it's pee'd on it STINKS,.

http://www.petratscanada.com/forbidden_foods.htm

dried corn It can have high levels of fungal contaminates which can lead to liver cancer. A little fresh corn is fine.

Ratty Momma said:
CrocHunter said:
dried corn is not bad for rats. Even Jo will reiterate that.

Fresh corn is okay, but not dried and the bedding is terrible, I just rescued two rat's that were kept on corn cobb bedding, Number 1 they had bumble foot, Number 2 once it's pee'd on it STINKS,.

http://www.petratscanada.com/forbidden_foods.htm

dried corn It can have high levels of fungal contaminates which can lead to liver cancer. A little fresh corn is fine.

Yes this was covered in the forbidden foods thread, however, there are many contradictions to this. Including the forum founder. Not to mention all of the lab blocks are made with dried corn.

Back