Buggies? Barbering? Allergy?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
Mamarat's two beautiful lab boys have some funky looking scabbing on their skin.
One of them, Jedy formely known as Zeus (but he told her he wasn't impressed with that name) is scabbing is on his front paws/arms which I'm pretty sure that one is self barbering:

Now, try to pay attention to the lesion site and nevermind that sweet white face:

labboyspaw.jpg

His brother Dewi also called DouxDoux (pronounced doodoo) has his lesions on the ear and neck.
We are thinking that since Jedy is barbering himself, he may be doing the same to Dewi.

Again, please pay attention to the lesions, not that sweet looking pew:

whiteboys1.jpg

labboysear.jpg

labboysneck.jpg

Another thought came to mind, lilspaz, does that look like what Peri had? :(

I just dose them with Revolution, just in case it's some sort of parasite.

Anyone else know what this might be?

jorats said:
Mamarat's two beautiful lab boys have some funky looking scabbing on their skin.
One of them, Jedy formely known as Zeus (but he told her he wasn't impressed with that name) is scabbing is on his front paws/arms which I'm pretty sure that one is self barbering:

Now, try to pay attention to the lesion site and nevermind that sweet white face:

labboyspaw.jpg

His brother Dewi also called DouxDoux (pronounced doodoo) has his lesions on the ear and neck.
We are thinking that since Jedy is barbering himself, he may be doing the same to Dewi.

Again, please pay attention to the lesions, not that sweet looking pew:

whiteboys1.jpg

labboysear.jpg

labboysneck.jpg

Another thought came to mind, lilspaz, does that look like what Peri had? :(

I just dose them with Revolution, just in case it's some sort of parasite.

Anyone else know what this might be?

OK *squeaaal!!!!* those boys are soo beautiful and big!!!!

Alright look away from the lovely PEW's Shelagh!!! Lesions! Concentrate! :scolding:

Jedy's is definitely barbering, normally you don't see those scabs where they are getting too enthusiastic on themselves. And on Dewi, my first thought was that if Jedy barbers scabs on himself, what would he be like if he didn't actually feel the pain he was inflicting when he was powergrooming Dewi, since the head near the ears and the chin are those extra special spots they love to power groom. Gimme that head...over here!!!
I would treat with Revolution just in case since you have it. But I would seriously spend some time just lurking near the cages and try to figure out if its self or rat inflicted. If it starts to spread then you should definitely think of allergies etc. And you know to remove everything from their diet, put them on the plainest bedding, bring them down to the bare basics until the dermatitis is improving and then adding things slowly back in until you find the trigger and remove it from their life forever.

mamarat has told me that she does indeed see Jedy flip Dewi to chew on his neck.
But... animals are attracted to hot spots, so it was hard to tell if he's barbering Dewi thus causing scabs or scabs show up which attracts Jedy to barber him?

Which came first? the chicken or the egg? :lol:

jorats said:
mamarat has told me that she does indeed see Jedy flip Dewi to chew on his neck.
But... animals are attracted to hot spots, so it was hard to tell if he's barbering Dewi thus causing scabs or scabs show up which attracts Jedy to barber him?

Which came first? the chicken or the egg? :lol:

Slap some polysporin ointment on there and see if it helps anything. I had something similar on Vesta's neck, and I did that and it went away. :)

lilspaz68 said:
Slap some polysporin ointment on there and see if it helps anything.
That's what I was gonna say! Also, with Savanna's owies (which you know of Mamarat) when polysporin didn't help the oribiotic ointment (that I had to get from the vet) did.

Slap some polysporin ointment on there and see if it helps anything. I had something similar on Vesta's neck, and I did that and it went away.

Polysporin is safe for rats? I was wondering because of PEW Chimo has some of the same spots, I thought it might be the food, or the bedding was too drying on his skin (yesterday's news) or his brother Coal overgrooming him because Coal (who's a berk) doesn't have any scabs and he tends to pick at Chimo. if Polysporin is an option that would be great :D

Jedy's leg looks exactly like Bobo's over here. He's decided he wants to start giving himself and everyone haircuts, but unfortunately he needs some lessons :lol: I put polysporin on the little lesion and it's healing up fast.

chicky82 said:
Slap some polysporin ointment on there and see if it helps anything. I had something similar on Vesta's neck, and I did that and it went away.

Polysporin is safe for rats? I was wondering because of PEW Chimo has some of the same spots, I thought it might be the food, or the bedding was too drying on his skin (yesterday's news) or his brother Coal overgrooming him because Coal (who's a berk) doesn't have any scabs and he tends to pick at Chimo. if Polysporin is an option that would be great :D

You could try the polysporin to heal the scabs but it won't prevent it.
I would also do a mite treatment, just in case.

Dewi is going to the vets today. I had separated the boys but the "wound" around his ear is spreading down to his eye. The one under his chin though looks a bit better. The boys are now back together.

mamarat said:
Dewi is going to the vets today. I had separated the boys but the "wound" around his ear is spreading down to his eye. The one under his chin though looks a bit better. The boys are now back together.

Good luck little Dewi!!

I hope its just something simple :(

I took both boys to the vet and she thinks/hopes it is mites. Both are on baytril for the next 30 days to prevent infection. And I have to do another mite treatment in 7 to 10 days. If it doesn't heal within that time she will do a biopsy on Dewi.

You wouldn't think they'd have got them in a lab, but maybe they got them after they left the lab.
You couldn't have a better vet! so I hope she is right and the bugjuice clears them up. Then they should get even more full of vim that vaccuums your vigor! Oboy!
:D

Back