Broccoli

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noel

Hi everybody! This is Rinky's mom, Noel. Can anyone tell me if I have to cook broccoli before giving it to my rat, Rinky? Also, while I'm here, he seems to be a fussy little eater! Example, when I give him spinach, he actually takes it out of his food bowl to get the things on the bottom and refuses to eat the spinach. Also he doesn't like string, kidney or pinto beans. He loves peas, corn, carrots, and cooked tri-color pasta. Again, he doesn't like pasta unless cooked.
Please help!

You do not need to cook broccoli. My rats love it
Rats also love baby kale and mixed greens.
Make sure corn is not GMO - organic corn is safe, because GMO corn has poison in the kerrals designed to kill rats

However you do need to cook kidney and pinto beans …… mine love cooked kidney beans and cooked chick peas - but only get a few as a treat because rats need low protien.
They also love cooked sweet potato, baked/cooked squash, baked/cooked pumpkin
and some rats like cauliflower (cooked or raw)

Here is some info https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/food-dos-and-donts.22782/#post-343892

You do not need to cook broccoli. My rats love it
Rats also love baby kale and mixed greens.
Make sure corn is not GMO - organic corn is safe, because GMO corn has poison in the kerrals designed to kill rats

However you do need to cook kidney and pinto beans …… mine love cooked kidney beans and cooked chick peas - but only get a few as a treat because rats need low protien.
They also love cooked sweet potato, baked/cooked squash, baked/cooked pumpkin
and some rats like cauliflower (cooked or raw)

Here is some info https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/food-dos-and-donts.22782/#post-343892
Thank you once again SQ

Noel I was typing up info you need about the beans and corn & spinach and broccoli when I noticed it's not the most important thing right now, because of today's date: If you don't get a baby rat in the next couple days you might regret it.
Once he turns 12 weeks old, getting him to get along with a new rat may be long & difficult.
I missed my own such deadline, & for your sake hope that you don't.
If the sound is illness, it may be because he had no rat to help keep him healthy. If it's communication, it may be a call trying to find his family or just anyone to be with, in hopes there are others outside who can hear him. And either way, a trip to the vet would be easier on him with company.
It might be good to get him from the same place you got your 1st, since there's no time to quarantine (though most I've spoken with don't believe in quarantines anyway, at least not for two baby rats).

A full quarantine in a separate air space (separate building) is essential to protect rats you already have, however, most people are unable to do one.
Therefore it is a good idea to get rats that have already been quarantined (good rat rescues), or rats from low risk situations (where they have not been exposed to new rats, people do not go to pet stores etc) or get rats from the same place soon after getting the previous rat. http://ratguide.com/health/basics/quarantine.php

Back