Brigit Had to Stay at My Vet's Last Night :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

Brigie is a 17 month old rescue girl, whom I got along with her mom and her other 5 week old identical sister. They were the last rats in a large rescue situation, and HAD to find homes, so I squeezed them into my colonies and my heart :D

Everything went well, they weren't sick or had any troubles beyond girly skittishness, until Brigit (who used to be the spookier one) changed. First she lost a little weight, but she was a wheel runner so I didn't think that much of it. Then her coat changed. It went from normal beige standard coat to a soft plushy feeling and look. I tried feeding her outside of the cage, adding more vitamin rich foods to her diet, putting her on a course of doxy/baytril, dosing with Revolution, etc. Then she lost more weight, but there was still no URI, and she was active, eating, happy and playing. Unfortunately every time I thought of taking her to my vets a real emergency would pop up. :( Then my vet went away for a month, this of course is when things really changed. She lost drastic amounts of weight, and is now around 330 grams no matter how much she eats. She also developed bumblefoot and a mild URI, so she got popped on baytril orally and I am using wonderful fuciderm ointment on her bumbles.
Well I got her to my vet yesterday, and got a call after she was examined. Beyond a mild URI (known) there was something else really going on, and my vet asked for permission to anesthetize her to get some blood. Now my vet is very supportive of my efforts, and really tries to keep the cost down for me on lots of thing (for eg. instead of x-rays for possible CHF, we'lll do the diagnostic dosing etc.), so when he suggests blood work (very expensive) then its truly NEEDED. So Brigit and Keely (sister) stayed overnight at the clinic, since the results should be back today and if its something that needs treatment, then my vet can start right away. :undecided:
What do they look for in bloodwork for rats?

Normal Brigit
Bridgetmay21.jpg

Her head starting to thin out
Bridgetnov23.jpg

Her body following suit
Bridget1.jpg

Keely and Brigit
KeelyandBridget2jun2.jpg

Bridgetjun2.jpg

Now
KeelyandBridgetaug28.jpg

Bridgetaug28.jpg

:shock: Didn't you post about her before because you were worried with her face getting thinner?

I cannot believe how skinny she looks! she looks like some kind of wierd rex.

I hope they can find the problem and fix her. Sometimes its hard to tell just how much a rat is changing (especially if you see them every single day), unless you have pictures to compare to.

Keep us updated

the poor, little, fuzz-face. :(

None of my boys have ever had blood taken so I don't know what a doc would look for.

I hope she's ok. Give her head kisses for me. :love6:

ryelle said:
:shock: Didn't you post about her before because you were worried with her face getting thinner?

I cannot believe how skinny she looks! she looks like some kind of wierd rex.

I hope they can find the problem and fix her. Sometimes its hard to tell just how much a rat is changing (especially if you see them every single day), unless you have pictures to compare to.

Keep us updated

I've been quietly worried for awhile even with no real symptoms of illness, and many times was planning on taking her to my vet for a look-see, but then someone would get seriously ill, or someone needed surgery, or there was some other type of emergency that took precedence. When my vet went away she was thin but stable, then the URI, bumblefoot and a big drop in weight happened. :sad3: I showed her to several people when they came over a few weeks ago, and they all said, she's thin but she looks "healthy" otherwise. It was a tough call. :(

She's incredibly sweet and feels like a funny plushy soft rex.

I should PM Tarah/Good Karma and see who else adopted Maline's (mom I have here) babies, and see if anyone else is experiencing this as well. :shock:

lilspaz68 said:
I should PM Tarah/Good Karma and see who else adopted Maline's (mom I have here) babies, and see if anyone else is experiencing this as well. :shock:

That sounds like a really good idea. Even if you find out they arent, its something else that you can tell your vet

If some other baby from the litter is having the same issues, we know its genetic and maybe if its treatable we can save another rat from this. I just PM'd Good Karma :)

Sigh, it was only yesterday...

keelyandbrigitfeb23.jpg

Gosh, that is a change...

If her fur changed, could it *maybe* be because she's some kind of latent rex, and that the rex fur is growing in? It's an utterly wild guess, mind you, so do disregard it if it seems too out of left field...

I'll admit though, I'm stumped. I'm gonna keep her in my prayers though!

Well I finally got the call from my vet. He did an x-ray and discovered Brigit’s liver was enlarged.
undecided.gif

The blood work showed elevated liver enzymes. The CBC showed a more serious anemia and reactive lymphocytes (I will be googling all this soon). Her hemocrit was 23 and normal levels are 37.6 to 50.6. There were some immature blood cells which means her body is trying to fix itself, but it points to internal bleeding, and most likely there’s a mass inside that is bleeding. If there had been no blood cells, then we might have considered a bone marrow issue.

Since there is no cure, and she could very easily and very quickly go downhill, collapse and bleed out, I decided to let her go while she was still comfortable. So tonight sadly I will be picking up Brigit as well as Faith’s body (she’s been in the vet’s freezer until my next visit).
sad.gif

My vet told me that she was very happy and the clinic staff loved them being there, they were spoiled with healthy treats and many flavours of baby cereal…hehe. My vet also has a spare gift box that I put my rats in after they are gone, and will put in some of his own change, etc for my Ritual. :’)

Do they know if anything specific has caused or causes all these problems?? (i dont understand some of the terms/issues youve listed and im thinking about the genetic side again and any siblings).

That is a lot of problems for a tiny little animal. poor girl :(

Your vet is very kind giving you the box and the change.
Sorry for your loss Shelagh

Back