Blood in Mouth - Back from Vets (serious tongue injury)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shelley

Yikes! I was just sitting here and noticed Sparrow didn't look too good. I just picked him up and he was limp.. he's not himself. He had some blood on his fur and when I picked him up I noticed he had blood in his mouth :shock: I don't know what it is from, I can't tell. I don't know if he's actively bleeding or what not. Oh god, I have to leave in very soon too. What should I do? :(

Edit - He seemed a bit dehydrated, I don't have any baby cereal left so I mixed up some oat meal since he wasn't interested in water. He's happily eating it right now, so hopefully that will help give him a boost of energy. I'm going to have to pick up some food on my way home tonight, my sister will be back in the afternoon so I'll have to call her then and see how he's doing.

Okay, got it sorted out. He's going to the vet at 3 along with his brother who is showing respiratory problems. Will update when I get home later.

Yeah, I was planning to take Vincent to the vet on Monday, so I'm glad I can take them both in earlier. Vincent started losing weight and I wasn't sure why, but today his breathing is just terrible. :cry: But on a good note.. I get to meet Dr. Munn for the first time!

Shelagh - How do I get there? Lol. I'm trying to figure it out right now. I asked on the phone, but the girl didn't really know. She explained where it was, but I'm still not entirely sure. I hope my sister gets back early so I can borrow her bus passes.

Shelley said:
Yeah, I was planning to take Vincent to the vet on Monday, so I'm glad I can take them both in earlier. Vincent started losing weight and I wasn't sure why, but today his breathing is just terrible. :cry: But on a good note.. I get to meet Dr. Munn for the first time!

Shelagh - How do I get there? Lol. I'm trying to figure it out right now. I asked on the phone, but the girl didn't really know. She explained where it was, but I'm still not entirely sure. I hope my sister gets back early so I can borrow her bus passes.

the best way is to take the Bloor Subway line to Donlands station, then take the Jones 83 and get off at Gerrard (about 5 min bus ride). You cross the street, turn right and walk one teeny block...she's right on the corner.

The only issue with that is timing since the Jones 83 runs every 20 mins most of the week but every 1/2 hour on weekends. Time your journey so you can catch the right bus. :)

I just peeked and you should catch the 2:36 at Donlands and be a bit early.
On the way back you have the 3:58, 4:16 and the 4:34 :)

Btw the Bruschetta Chicken Parmesan slices at Pizza Pizza on the corner are very yummy :D

Alright - I'm back.

Vincent is on Baytril/Doxy, he has a resp infection like I thought.

Sparrow on the other hand... managed to stump both of us with how he hurt himself. She said she'd never seen anything like it before, and neither of us could come to a conclusion on how it happened - but Sparrow seriously injured his tongue. Dr. Munn thinks that he will at least lose half his tongue.

But for now, we need to get past the initial stages. He's on metacam, baytril and doxycycline. He was dehydrated (like I thought), a little cold, and very very weak when we got there, so she was afraid to put him under. She really wanted to get a look at his tongue to assess the damage, but we couldn't get him to hold his mouth open. Anyway, half his tongue is a very deep red/black already, and it almost looks like it's split down the middle. It looks just awful, and he is still bleeding on and off.

Right now its going to be up to us to nurse him back to get more strength. My sister went to the store to buy ensure and tons of soft foods. Dr. Munn said it was a serious injury, and we need to come back next week to see how he is doing, and go from there. If it heals on its own she said the dead parts will probably slough off.

I just finished giving him his medication, so hopefully the pain killer will kick in soon and he'll feel a little better. :( Healing prayers for Sparrow.

Here he is right after I gave him his meds.
jan11sparrow.jpg

Poor little sweetheart! No wonder he was limp. :(

I hope that he makes a great recovery; ratties never cease to amaze me with their resilience.

Wish I could be there to feed him up with banana mash.

Poor Sparrow that must've hurt. :(

I hope it sloughs off for you as nasty as that sounds. Metacam will help, and tons of fluids etc.

They do surprisingly well with horrific injuries...

I am sorry Shelley, glad to hear Vincent should be feeling better soon.

Thankyou for all the well wishes, were hoping it'll be a fast and smooth recovery.

The pain meds have kicked in, so Sparrow seems a bit happier. I got a picture of the three boys together, they keep sleeping on top of Sparrow, probably to keep him nice and warm.
I'm hoping Vincent's breathing will improve, they've only just started treatments, so I think it'll be at least another day or more before I see any real difference. Poor ratties, all sick/hurt at the same time :( At least Bobo is being a real sweetie and giving them their space when they need it, and cuddling when they want it. :D Can still see the blood around Sparrow's mouth and the porphyrin from stress :(

jan11group.jpg

Back