Bitten by Oliver 10/18/13 HOW LONG TO HEAL?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jorats said:
Deep ones take an awful long time. I have one near my knuckle where a year later, I can sometimes feel slight pain in the area.

This one is right on my knuckle ... I'm in for a long wait - Thanks

Owie owie owie!!!

Oliver's teeth might have clipped a nerve. I once got a deep gash on my finger pad - a new rat got me badly by mistake during a intro. Typing was loads of fun for months after. I'm guessing that the damaged nerve ending kept flaring up.

It took months when fabian got my index finger on the knuckle. It is my trigger finger and I couldnt hardly go shooting with the pain that would shoot through my hand when i shot.

If I have to go to my orthopedic with another injury - I'm certain I'm putting his kids through college I'm so accident prone!

I got bit accidentally when my fat rat Peter got stuck in his wooden house,I reached in to grab him and he freaked out. My mom then reached in and he got her on the same finger, same hand (we're smart) and she got nerve damage in her middle finger and the feeling took years to come back and my middle finger nail fell off slowly there was a hole at the nail bed then that fell off. It took two years to fully grow back. That was 7 years ago. I still have scars but no lasting damage. Hope you feel better soon!

Forgive my ignorance, but the actual wound itself doesn't seem that bad, except that it's infected. Is there something more about rat bites than just the bite itself? do rats (even pets?) carry bacteria with their bites that cause a bite to be more severe than it looks to be?

Keep in mind however "bad" is relative, I work with my hands and beat the hell out of them everyday, often times having open wounds while working with various motor oils, grease, lubricants, gasoline and diesel, so this is why I'm wondering how a rat bite can be so bad as that.

All pets can carry bacteria that will affect the area severely, but that is not a common occurrence. And it's also not common for rats to bite.

OUCH! I know the feeling, I have 2 big ouchy gash on my knuckles too right now, from my little Liam. Keep an eye on it, keep it clean, polysporin, etc. I was scratched by my panicking cat a few weeks ago and it ended up getting severely infected!

Tinypaws3 said:
OUCH! I know the feeling, I have 2 big ouchy gash on my knuckles too right now, from my little Liam. Keep an eye on it, keep it clean, polysporin, etc. I was scratched by my panicking cat a few weeks ago and it ended up getting severely infected!

Thanks, it was infected almost immediately, but like an idiot as soon as the antibiotics started to work I stopped taking them! Surprise surprise it appears the infection is starting up again ... its puffy, itchy, and swollen!! I'm no good at keeping on a medication schedule unless its take before bed!!! Still very painful especially if touched on the top where he bit me. I tried to open a can of cat food the other night (pop top) and the pain was unbelievable!! Hope your fingers heal better than mine has.

Back