Bitten by Oliver 10/18/13 HOW LONG TO HEAL?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspch911

It was devastating to lose Mr. Curley and Mr. Finn, we are still crying every other minute! BUT darn it Oliver!!! yes, the demon rat got me!!! Not going to lie - it hurts, that's an understatement, hurting more by the minute!!! To make things worse he got the knuckle of my right pointer finger - I spend my day typing, I need to type quickly, I cannot bend my finger and right now I can only use the ring finger of my right hand and thumb and its VERY painful. Dang boy latched on too, dang bf kept swatting at him - fyi, that's makes them bite harder. Not using right hand anymore, left hand typing only!!! :cry: I stayed calm and I have to say it a very strange feeling when your feel your skin pop as its being punctured... Pain is exceeding tolerable now .... need to go find pain killers!! Cannot wait to see what tomorrow as in store for me!!!

Argh! They pick their moments, don't they? Poor you.

Sent from my U20i using Tapatalk 2

Are you guys touching your other group and then touching them? It just seems odd that they are so bitey?

hopefloats said:
Are you guys touching your other group and then touching them? It just seems odd that they are so bitey?

This time I did, it was after the trios playtime and Oliver and Snickers were worked up I went to get Snickers who squeaked and Oliver chomped! Thought it was probably a bad idea, but over thought my inner voice!!!! :gaah: Hand is pretty useless right now - Al just had to cut up my food for me.....

Did it bleed a lot? The one and only good bite I ever got didn't bleed a whole lot so all the saliva and whatever else got trapped inside. My poor hand swelled to 3 times its size and I almost had to go to emerg to get IV abs. It never hurts to get checked out :)

Oh dear, he got you good from the sound of it. Sorry he did, and hopefully it doesn't swell up badly. I had bite at the base of my index over a month ago that still isn't 100% right...I often say people don't know real pain until they've experienced a good rat bite. Ouch. Sending your finger/hand healing vibes. When it rains it pours, but hopefully things will start looking up for you soon.

smilez_n_hugs said:
Did it bleed a lot? The one and only good bite I ever got didn't bleed a whole lot so all the saliva and whatever else got trapped inside. My poor hand swelled to 3 times its size and I almost had to go to emerg to get IV abs. It never hurts to get checked out :)

Yes it did, the way it was dripping all over the floor one would of thought Oliver hit an artery!!! I'm pretty sure its infected or at leasted heading in that direction. I'm swollen tip of finger to middle of hand about 2-3 times the size of my other hand and what isn't purple is turning red. I briefly washed it before the bf flew in with some new skin stuff that he brushed on like nail polish - I think this was a big mistake as I do believe its trapped everything in and I cannot get the stuff off. Still cannot bend the finger and basically everything up to my elbow hurts.
temblabamomo said:
Oh dear, he got you good from the sound of it. Sorry he did, and hopefully it doesn't swell up badly. I had bite at the base of my index over a month ago that still isn't 100% right...I often say people don't know real pain until they've experienced a good rat bite. Ouch. Sending your finger/hand healing vibes. When it rains it pours, but hopefully things will start looking up for you soon.

This is definately up there as one of the top 10 worst pains to experience!!

IMG_4767_zps4a7d0737.jpg

IMG_4766_zps5d38d05d.jpg

IMG_4764_zpsb35f5416.jpg

Went to the er today - as we thought INFECTED!! Cellulitis fingertip to mid hand thanks to bf and his seal in an infection. FYI that new skin stuff or whatever it is - is a no no!!!! I have to soak my finger in warm water 3-4 times a day, antibiotics every 6 hours, and my finger/hand is splinted and wrapped so I don't spread my contagious infection... Thank you Oliver!!!!!

:gaah: Boyfriends!

I really feel for you right now. That looks very sore. You're due a break any day now. :heart:

xcat said:
:gaah: Boyfriends!

I really feel for you right now. That looks very sore. You're due a break any day now. :heart:

Actually, it only hurts if touched or I try to bend it. I don't get it the bf has been bitten 3 times now and nothing! I get an instant infection :redhot: Its looking much better already, not the actual bite, but the rest if my hand.
The vet called, our babies are ready to come home - we miss them so much, but at least they will be back with us even if its not in physical form. We had them cremated.

I know rats are smart, but do any of you think they feel sorry for what they do or something like that? Oliver will not approach me since the bite. If I open the cage he starts to come toward the door, stops sudden - like he has noticed its me, and back ups. Its almost like he's afraid, feeling guilty, or sorry about biting me. I never acknowledge the bite to him, never made a noise, never touched him while it was happening, nothing - so he has no reason to be afraid of me.. He will only come to me if I call him or say "come on Oliver its ok" - even for treats he will back up if its me. I was just wondering...

I really don't believe animals live in the past or future. They only live in the now, the present... so I don't they feel guilty about something that happened in the past.
But maybe now, he's able to control himself. Maybe he's reminding himself to hold off on the lunge and bite, that's my momma at the door.

How long does it take for a rat bite to heal? My finger is still extremely painful - especially if I touch the sides of the top knuckle or the top of the bite area its self. After using a mouse and/or typing for too long I get pain all the way to my elbow. I'm starting to wonder if the fuzz butt didn't damage a tendon.... Its my mouse clicking finger and everytime I push down I get a tingling, sharp pins and needles feeling throughout my hand. Is this normal?

Back