Biorb Fish Tank - fish pics, pg.5

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there is some that only grow to an inch. there is many types of rasboras. again, i dont even know if i can get them around here yet. long time to wait until i can get fish :( i put water in my tank to check my heater and pump etc. and my mum freaked

Its getting closer to getting this tank going!
I only need a water test kit, a bottle of ammonia, and a bottle of dechlorinator to get before i can get going - although i am tempted to shot a load of fish food in there and get it going and just test once i get the kit and start it off properly with a bottle of ammonia when that comes too.
I bought a cute piece of bogwood that fights in the tank :) It was hard finding a piece that would go in and out and not be too big because of the shape of my tank. Its currently getting boiled in a pan trying to get some of the tannins out of it.
2010_0219bogwood0006.jpg

2010_0219bogwood0013.jpg

I am writing a list to give to the guy at the Aquatic Centre of fish and plants for when my cycle is done. The final stocking is (hopefully) going to be 6x galaxy rasbora, a Betta, and a purple/pink apple snail :)

Getting excited now! :)

The betta and the rasbora might not work. Bettas can be aggressive and rasbora can be nippers. So be prepared to set up another tank for the betta in case it doesn't work out. ;)

Oh and when you get a test kit make sure it's a drip test. The test strip one's aren't very accurate.

I can't wait to see it when it's all done!

If the Betta doesn't work out hes going back to the store :p im not having two tanks lol. There is one in the shop at the minute thats in with some tetras and rasboras. I am going to check it all out properly first though.

If my dad gives me money as a late birthday present :roll: i am going to order the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. I've heard its the best one around and is more acurate than the test strips. Going to order it off EBay for £15 because the pet shop are selling it at £35.. pfft

If you aren't sure that you can keep a betta then don't get one. That's just seems irresponsible. Two small tanks aren't much work anyways. Besides bettas have awesome personalities and you can get pretty attached to them. :p

Don't forget, Ryelle is in England where the pet situation is very different from southern Ontario.

I can't wait to see your Biorb with some fishies in it!! :D

Yes, Ryelle, our poor Betta's here live in tiny cups with an inch of water. Heh. So you can understand how no one would want a Betta to have to go BACK to those conditions!

LOL i would DEFINATELY never send a fish back to live in those kind of situations. The shop i am getting my fish from keep them in really large heavily planted tanks along with other fish - ill try and get a picture next time i am in there. the pet shop down the road keeps them in floating breeding traps or in floating plastic bags :( they only ever have one betta in at a time though, but i wouldnt buy from them anyways

Randomrat said:
The betta and the rasbora might not work. Bettas can be aggressive and rasbora can be nippers.

I have just found this on Wiki:
The Celestial Pearl Danio seems overall quite peaceful, though some fin-nipping occurs. Consequently, it cannot be accompanied with large or "bully" fish. Small, swarming danionins which require similar water conditions would be a natural choice for company, as such more active species provide nice contrast behaviorally and, being available in a wide range of colors and patterns, also make it possible to choose fish that complement the brilliant colors of D. margaritatus.

so i am doing some more research. I think i might not get a Betta but get a friendly larger fish, or re-look at my list of smaller fish. Got plenty of time to still look :)

Betta's are very unpredictable and they all deal with other fish differently. I have had some that would get along just fine with Cory catfish and then another that decided to try to eat a cory.

Guppies are a great small tropical fish. Not sure how tough they are where you are but here they deal well with a range of conditions. Just make sure you go with all males or they will overstock the tanks within weeks.

Small tetras can be touchy with their conditions.

White cloud mountain minnows are pretty cool and survive just about anything but are pretty plain to look at.

When cycling your tank you should do it without fish. It can take up to 8 weeks to complete the cycle but it is worth it. Cycling with fish is risky because the cycle is stressful and normally ends with fish dying.

The tank you have is awesome. We have seen them here but the price was so much. Good score.
Keep us up to date with what you decide to do.

Definately doing a fishless cycle - hence having plenty of time to look at the perfect stock for my tank -LOL! I have already decided on the plants though... and the layout... :giggle:

I have been advised against Tetra's because they are very active and the shape of my tank isn't really suitable for them. Guppies are at the larger end of the scale i was looking for, same applies with the minnows. I have been mostly looking at microrasbora's just because they are smaller so i can fit a nicer number shoal in there, and i definately want to get a snail or two.

I could scratch the idea of getting a larger fish, just get a shoal of smaller fish and get some cherry shrimps instead. I was originally going to get some, but thought they might just be dinner for a Betta, and then i saw a guy near me selling some purple and pink striped apple snails so decided on them instead. The shrimps in the shop are getting bigger now though...

hhhmmmmm :think:

Just be aware of the bio load . Snails are fairly messy as they eat mess and then poop it so try to understock the tank for this reason ;-)
I am not a huge snail person but i am aware that some are hermaphrodites, be aware of that breed as they will over populate your tank in no time.

Can't wait to see when it is all done. Should look awesome.

Oh and plants are difficult to keep alive most of the time unless you have good lighting. Java moss grows well in less lit tanks but i have had no success with anything else GRR

I have been looking at reaaaaalllly hardy, beginner plants that will grow in the lowest of low lights. eventually i will upgrade the light on my tank to one thats supposed to be a tiny bit better for plants. But yea, i am looking at Java fern, Java moss, Anubias, moss balls and getting some advice on a tiny little plant that looks like cress. lost the name of it for now :(

I came across this website which is pretty cool (you can do a search for light-specific plants ^^) http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/foru ... /index.php

It will all be about trial and error for quite a while to come.

And snails - i had a Giant African Landsnail for a long time and had to 'dispose' of his eggs so i wasn't overrun. I have a pond outside that gets full of snail eggs too so i know what to look out for, so ill just 'dispose' of them too :) . And all snails are hermaphrodites, and as with ALL hermaphrodite animals, they need to have mated atleast once before they can spawn fertile eggs, so if i got one young enough it could solve the problem (Gary my GAL was tiny when i got him and never laid fertile eggs, i still put them in the freezer though to be safe)

I'm pretty sure you've heard this already, but the best way to keep your Java Fern alive is to stick the roots into a crevice in your driftwood, as opposed to burying them in the gravel or whatever you're using as substrate.

Water Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis) and Ruffled Sword Plants (Aponogeton crispus) are pretty hardy, low-medium light plants. I've never had the Ruffled Sword Plant, but I've heard lots of good things about it. The only thing is I'm not sure how big it gets, so you might what to double check that before you get one lol. I have, however, had Water Wisteria before and it is one of the best aquatic plants out there. It grows in low-light conditions, but if kept in high-light conditions it just grows faster lol. It doesn't need supplemental Co2 and is generally carefree. I highly recommend it :thumbup:

2010_0309mrvenus0006.jpg

:bunnydance:

Beginning the cycle as soon as my Water Test Kit arrives (definately before the weekend). Everything else is in order :D

yaaayyy

Lookin good!

I just wanted to say I am jealous that you had a GAL... They're illegal here but I want one so bad. :(

Back