Biorb Fish Tank - fish pics, pg.5

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryelle

My friend has just given me a fish tank! :joy: She has just split up with her boyfriend (lol! he was such a jerk) and is moving her stuff. She's had this tank sitting around for a long time without any fish in.

I don't have any pictures because i can't find any batteries for my camera. It had sand in the bottom (?) so its scratched a fair bit, the pump has been cut off it and it doesn't have the plug transformer thing. It came with a heater too (atleast thats what it looks like LOL) but that also has the plug cut off it. I have a pump from when i had an old fish tank that should fit on it, and a transformer from a bubble light thing i have, and its easy enough to attach a plug to the heater.

I can't afford to do anything with it at the minute, but i am excited at the prospect of having maybe a tropical fish tank at some point :) When i get a job i will have to buy bits to go towards it. I have cleaned everything out and its going to sit in the spare room in the attic for a while

here is a picture from the website:
ReefFamily-sml.jpg

I know the pictures look like they have real plants in, but i was wondering if you could actually keep real plants in there (i hate the look of plastic ones and have always dreamed of having a more realistic set-up) and keep the tank healthy still? I wonder what type of fish i could get in there too! I don't know about dimensions, but i dont think i would want too big a fish in there.
Im only dreaming :) but its a nice dream and im excited :)

I heard once a long time ago though that round bowls are supposed to be unhealthy for fish and its better to have a rectangular one or a square one - can anyone shed any light on this?

A rectangular/square tank is better for fish because there is a wider opening for the fish to breathe off of (especially bettas/gourami's or other fish with a labrynth organ) and easier for multiple fish to eat at once.

ty for the info Tarah :D

I may try and get this set up for my birthday in February - ask for fish for my birthday. I am doing some research at the mo and it says "Catfishes & Labyrinth fish: They generally would prefer a broad, deep tank with plenty of water. Some fish love to hide every now and then, try to give them small hiding places." so they obviously wouldn't be suitable for the tank that i have.

I was originally thinking of getting smaller fish like tetra's. I am still planning though :) Not even sure if the heater works yet. Still need to find a plug and fix it all up

no. i *think* i have the larger one. I am planning on digging out the spare pump i have and rigging it all up to make sure it works properly (light, heater etc.) and then i will work out how many gallons are in there.

I found this one a website:
Tank / Fish Ratio
Length of tank * Width = Water surface area / 40 cm (standard) Now, divide the size, or the average, of the fish you want to add.

Example:
90(cm)* 35 (cm) = 3150(cm2) / 40 = 79 / 5(cm) = 15 fish

I don't think this would work with a round tank though

no, the guidelines for tanks are only for rectangular or "standard" tanks.

an easier one to follow is 1.5 inch of fish per gallon. but, as with rats, the more the better.

i worked out i have the 30L tank, which according to google: 30 L = 6.59907 gal

so i could get approx. 9 fish in there if they were 1.5 inches long?

that's really nice.

the only thing i find with bowls is it's really hard to keep your water levels and chemical levels good. (nitrites, nitrates, and amonia)

I am allowed to get fish in February :)

I found the old pump i had. It isnt super strong, but it does the job and circulates the water properly. I need to check out getting new stuff for the filter thats in the pump. There is a little 'bubble stone' thing and the air just can't get through it - i originally thought it was the pump, but i blew through the tube and nearly choked because the air just wouldnt budge - so i think i need to buy a new one of those. Lots to learn and buy before i can set it up.

I still dont know if the light works, because i can't find my transformer plug. I attached a plug to the heater, but i dont know if it works. I have a thermometer so im thinking of putting some water in a jug, putting the heater in and seeing if it will hold the temperature, not sure if that is the right way of checking but i think its an ok idea lol. better than setting up my tank in february and THEN realising it doesnt work

bborb.jpg

Nice little tank. You should have lied and said "Oh look at my fancy fish tank" (blinks eyelashes)

haha Maple, i will definately post pics once ive set up.

I looked online and i can buy all the little bits i need quite easily. There is a few aquarium shops near here, so i am going to go for a walk down later and look and maybe buy a book. I read a fair few bits last night.

And! the heater works :D :D It kept the water at 34°C instead of 30°C, but that was in a bowl of water without circulation so i will just have to check it.

I read a fair few bits last night and im thinking of setting up the tank either two days before i add plants and then a few days after for fish? i read about the cycling thing last night, and im going to ask the fish man about ammonia and stuff later

I'll have to disagree on the inch per gallon rule. It's all depending on the bioload. tetras do not have a large bio load. So in a ten gallon tank I would be comfortable with 10 neons, or 6-7 serpae tetras, 5-6 rummy nose, ect. The size of fish per gallon is really useless. Like a gold fish might only be 4-5 inches (depending on the type and how badly it's growth is stunted) but it doesn't belong in a ten gallon.

i was thinking of having the minimum number of tetra's in there - enough to make a comfortable group (dont know the collective term for tetra's lol) but not to over-load my tank. and possibly one more fish that will not grow large
I have been researching the sizes of fish, like what size you buy them at and what they , and i know i want all small fish.
Ive just applied to join a good fish forum to ask about substrate, how to grow plants etc. I have noooooo idea. Its mostly about growing the plants for me and making it look nice, rather than having tonnes of fish in an empty tank

A good start for plants would be java fern and anubias - they're both hardy slow-growing plants that do well in a variety of PH levels and lighting conditions, and they don't need supplemental CO2. As far as fish, in a small tank it's best to go with small, slender fish like the small tetras or danios (I :heart: danios). It would probably look best to have a single school of fish rather than more than one type.

im lookin at fish that arent going to grow over 2inches. my boyfriend bought me a fish book today and it has a whole directory of fish in it. i have a list of social fish that are around the same size of tetras, so i have a choice, it just depends what i can find at the time.

and yea, Java's and anubias are the ones i will probably have to chose because the lighting in my tank isn't that good (not that ive turned it on yet, but the wattage isnt very high)

minnow said:
A good start for plants would be java fern and anubias - they're both hardy slow-growing plants that do well in a variety of PH levels and lighting conditions, and they don't need supplemental CO2. As far as fish, in a small tank it's best to go with small, slender fish like the small tetras or danios (I :heart: danios). It would probably look best to have a single school of fish rather than more than one type.

danios are too big for a tank like that. (long)

yeah, the smallest Danio is 2 inches long. Thats my max. And they have to be kept in a shoal and i wouldn't have room for more than two(?) or atleast not enough to make a nice shoal

Ive been looking at Rasbora's instead of tetra's but i still dont know if i can get them here. Im just looking through my book at the minute

Back