Bella's icky eye pics...new pics 12/24 :-)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bella's eye is worse, I can't keep it moist enough now. :( I upped her metacam for any discomfort, and she is still on baytril/zithro. Amazingly she is still happy and bright, and bouncing around my livingroom right now. :doh:

She really is wonderful!!!

Bellaeye2Dec9.jpg

BellaeyeDec9.jpg

My so brave girl who will sometimes lick me outside the cage, and has even let me pat her inside the cage. :heart:
Bellaeye1Dec9.jpg

Oh sweetie-pie Bella! Kisses little love.
It's just so unfair that a kid should have that happen to them :evil: I'm glad she has you to give her the best care possible.

Ugh, things are regularly sticking and drying to my girls eye. I feel horrible. :( I soak it down with polysporin ointment and it softens it enough that she gets it off, but what if she can't?

The other day, part of her eye tissue came off..blech. I felt rotten. What do I do? And for anyone curious. When I am putting the ointment on, it hurts her and she squeaks, but never once offers to bite or even nip me...my poor sweet girl. :sad-p:

I think once Bella goes I will try sweet Lisbet in the old gals cage below and hope she's not too horribly depressed when her "rock" leaves her.

This is what was left of the eye tissue she got off
Bellaseyeewww.jpg

Is it a viable option at this point to have the eye removed and the eyelid sewn shut? That way she & you wouldn't have to deal with the goo and debris on the poor thing.

I just wanna scritch her beatiful nekkid belly :0

Notamuised said:
Is it a viable option at this point to have the eye removed and the eyelid sewn shut? That way she & you wouldn't have to deal with the goo and debris on the poor thing.

I just wanna scritch her beatiful nekkid belly :0

Poor Bella is 30 months old and has a chronic URI that I fight to keep under control. When my vet saw her and I mentioned an enucleation, she dind't seem to be very optimistic esp. with the URI.

My rat wasn't as old as your poor little girl, so when he had a very icky eye wich he couldn't see with anymore,I let the vet remove it.

First we tried for several weeks on antibiotic but his eye kept getting bigger and bigger.
I asked the vet to remove it because my beautifull guy was in pain because of the swelling.
Twice! he sent me home and told my the rat was not in pain :?

I demanded for metacam to show he's wrong and that worked!
In a few days on the metacam,Lucky got much more energetic en playfull again. (he was only 7 months old at the time)

At last the vet amputated the sick eye.

I can feel the pain you feel,because you don't have that option :(

Good luck and al the best for you and your little girly :praying:

It sure must be hard to cope with this. I was lucky that my Tia had her eye removed when she was still young.

It is so difficult to put anything on a rat's eyes. Liquids don't adhere long enough to do much, gels have the problems that Lilspaz describes.

Lots of kisses and scritches to your brave little ratty girl.

Not yet...but I really do hate when she gets something stuck to her eye. :roll:

Here she is still fat and sassy
BellaDec14.jpg

And scratched up Lisbet, she's sooo sweet, but with a chronic URI.
LisbetDec14.jpg

They really are beautiful... I feel terrible. All that time I was so sure it was just like what happened with my rat, and it wasn't, I hope I didn't give any bad advice... :cry: I'm still rooting for you!

You didn't give any bad advice Tara. I appreciated all the comments from you :) Bella is still "well" so we keep going, its more on the line of "watch and wait" now then "watch for cure", but thats okay. She's an old gal whose much happier than she used to be...

((hugs))

Well with all the worry over Mattie I guess I wasn't seeing what was happening under my very nose. Bella's eye isn't protruding as much, it seems that last scary bout may have sloughed off dead tissue leaving only a bit that's "not right" and a very small eye under that. She's happy and well, and has become very sweet even in her cage...my fingers are rarely in peril now :D

BellaseyeDec17.jpg

I think the tissue of her eye [the bit that was protruding] has been slowly sloughing off. Dr. Munn said the eye was dead, so it would make sense that the tissue is slowly going to come off like that. Sort of like a scab, where it flakes off around the edges after a while.

Back