Bamboo's Beastie Boys (RIP Loki 24/10/2013)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pippin and Ty snuggling after veggies
2013-09-24210553_zps48fb15a8.jpg

2013-09-24210524_zpsaf1e79e1.jpg

Also, Ozzie continues to get better and better. He was never unhealthily skinny but he was definitely underweight. He's been steadily gaining weight since he's been with the boys and he's now a nice healthy weight. I picked him up the other day and I didn't feel like I might break him because he actually feels like a big, chunky manrat now lol

Before (September 2)
2013-09-02192824_zps00add392.jpg

Today (September 24)
2013-09-24230638_zps778d549d.jpg

Baby Baal is slowly but surely making progress. He's still quite nervous but the daily playtimes, despite having to be a little forced in the beginning, have really helped him out. I think it gives him something to look forward too. He loves coming out and just doing laps on the couch. He would be happy to popcorn back and forth all day if he could lol. Every now and then he comes over to sit with me while he washes himself and get some scritches but then it's back to being a bouncy baby.

2013-09-25205210_zps6b296d5b.jpg

2013-09-25205201_zps0f85e2ab.jpg

2013-09-25205154_zps213e60a9.jpg

2013-09-25210449_zps0adc1922.jpg

2013-09-25205021_zps64416250.jpg

I really want him to be with other rats. Especially at his age, I think he needs somebody to be able to play with all the time. So, I started intros with my existing group tonight. I'm doing what I did last time, so I started them in the tub with some warm water. It looks promising. Baal, typical of his age, lacks some manners but the boys were very tolerant. Baal can tell that Ozzie is, by far, the most subordinate of the group and kept trying to mount him. Ozzie didn't seem to care too much. Baal also made some attempts to mount Hedwig. Hedwig was far more concerned with figuring out what was poop and what was treat in the water and didn't stay still long enough for it too happen lol. Baal eventually seemed to give up trying but was still a little pushy (again, I think he means well. He just lacks manners)

After they settled a little, the boys kinda gang-groomed Baal lol. He was ok with it for the most part. He got a little overwhelmed at one point and peeped at them but once he realized he was ok, he actually seemed to enjoy it. I felt a little bad for cutting it short but I like to end the first intro on a positive note. They were together for 15 minutes without incident.

Right now my priority is to get Baal into a group. I'm hoping that he'll go into the existing group fairly well, and then I can intro the 2 groups. The double CN is supposed to get here early next week. I'm planning to have the top and bottom section separate so that both groups can be in there while continuing intros. The dumbo hoodeds definitely need a bigger space -even half a CN is better then what they're in for the time being. I haven't even started doing intros between the 2 groups. I'm still anticipating some difficulties between the 2 alphas, Hedwig and Pavel. Hedwig is very tolerant but I don't think he will be too happy about giving up his position to someone who really forces the issue. Ultimately, I predict he will but I don't think he's going to want to give it up without a fight.

Group intros have begun : )

*Knock on wood* They seem to be going well! I let each group out to play (separately) for about an hour each to tire them all out a little. Baal got about 45 minutes to play with me by himself. the last little bit of his playtime was continuing intros between him and the 3 existing boys. Despite being overwhelmed at times, it's already doing him a lot of good to be with other rats regularly. I can't wait until they're all together and he can have a big family! Except for moving his veggies around, he never touches treats. He loves his blocks but usually he won't even take a puff or noodle. Today he ate a cheerio, a puff, noodle and a whole piece of spinach while with the whole group. He seems to have latched onto Hedwig in particular. I'm actually really glad because I think Hedwig has the best energy for him. Calloway can be a little neurotic and Ozzie is just starting to come into his own. Despite being quite stubborn, Hedwig doesn't have a mean bone in his body. He is patient and he is also very confident in himself. I think that confidence is going to be a really good thing for Baal to pick up.

Fortunately for Baal, Hedwig has 'adopted' him as well. He seems to genuinely enjoy playing with him and taking care of him. The only thing that I've noticed is that Hedwig loves hammocks and Baal does not understand them at all lol. I put a hammock in the playpen the other day and Hedwig went right for it. Baal, not understanding what to do, ended up going to sleep directly underneath Hedwig lol!

Ozzie seems to have taken the recent changes as a chance to move up in the world. Gone is the timid little rat he was just 2-3 weeks ago. In his place is a reinvented hopeful looking to no longer be on the bottom. He will never be alpha and I don't think that's his goal but he is definitely learning to throw his weight around if he has to. Not long ago, Hedwig and Calloway would steal his treats right out of his mouth and he would just accept it. These days, if somebody tries to take his food, he gives them a shove and tells them to go get their own.

The dumbos are a big, boisterous group but seem to be very well mannered. They love their treats so they've made several attempts to grab from the others but they can take a hint. One shove and they'll move on. Ty and Hedwig (the alphas) have done very well together...better then I thought. There has been much ball-sniffing and power-grooming both ways but no fighting or even boxing. I'll be interested to see who ends up being alpha of the group. Before today, I thought Ty would definately overthrow Hedwig but now I'm not so sure. Honestly, I hope Hedwig ends up on top, for all the reasons previously stated: he's a great over all rat and he is a very gentle leader. My ideal situation is Hedwig ends up as the alpha and teaches Baal his ways, and then once Baal matures, he'll take over. But que ser sera lol

So far, intros have gone exceptionally well!! I've done them every night for about 2 or 3 hours at a time and now fights. Baal has taken to humping everyone who moves near him but nobody seems to care. They juts keep doing what they're doing. Hedwig is the only one who shoves him off lol.

Also, guess what just got here :cheeky:

2013-10-01152718_zps56b99356.jpg

Aww yeeeah!!! I know what I'm doing after work tonight :dance:

The good news: The CN is up and running :dance:

The meh news: The boys have all found their balls and now remember that they're boys lol. Well, not all but basically they're not ready to go together quite yet. I've separated the levels so the dumbos have the bottom and the exsisting guys have the top.

For the most part intros started well. We had four 1-2 hour sessions with no problems. Recently, Pavel has sensed the change and is determined to take alpha from Ty. However, Ty is not giving it up without a fight. During intros, Hedwig senses this and has been attempting to dominate both of them. Ty, for the most part, accepts this fairly well -Ty is not, for lack of a better word, "unreasonable" so Hedwig's low-key dominance is acceptable. I don't think he wants to give it up but with time, I really feel like he will.

Pavel, on the other hand is quite a bit more brash. Now that he's seen his opportunity, he doesn't want to give it up to anyone. He's become fairly aggressive towards the lower standing guys (Gandalf, Ozzie and Baal) in his attempt to rule with an iron fist. He approaches from the side and shoves them around. And when either Hedwig or Ty come into the situation, he screams at them. When they force the matter, that's when fights ensue. So far, we've only had one hardcore fight (no blood - just rolling around with lots of screaming) at this point, it's mostly been lots of vocalizing (mostly from Pavel lol), poofiness on top of the expected chasing and shoving.

So, my plan is to give them a day or two to have a break from intros. Then go back to square one and see where it goes from there. If I don't see much change, I'm going to book some neuters. I would say that Pavel will likely get one either way because right now he's a walking picture of male hormonal frustration. Ty could possibly use one but I think he'll be ok. Hedwig has been on edge but from what I can tell it's only in reaction to the energy coming from the other two. At this moment, Pavel is the catalyst so he's the one I'm going to be watching closest.

2013-10-02140628_zpse3d1aff3.jpg

I would also keep changing the boys around re: upstairs/downstairs so they don't consider one 'theirs' when it comes time for integration. I'm glad there's been no blood!

Oh yeah, they're being switched at least once a day. It's actually been interesting to observe. Hedwig has actually been quite poofy immediately upon being switched, so he is demonstrating some territorial behaviour and it's not just in reaction to the conflict between the other two. Pavel and Ty have been quite rough on each other and unfortunately, it looks like Ty is slowly but surely giving in. I really hoped Ty would come out on top, just because I feel like it would have made intros a lot easier but this doesn't look likely. Pavel power grooms him and flips him at every opportunity. Ty initially would try and fight back at first but now he just seems to accept it.

So yeah, here are some really quick pics of the new guys. They've also been renamed Thor and Loki. (I couldn't resist lol! It's too perfect! The big, blond (I know, I know it's actually beige but work with me here) one is Thor and the small, kinda skinny looking blue guy is Loki...is that not perfect? lol)

They've been moved to the dumbo's old cage because the one they came in was a piece of crap.

Old cage
2013-10-12150108_zps165e2cb7.jpg

New cage
2013-10-12145800_zps10652faf.jpg

Here's little Loki.
2013-10-12144514_zpsf38ab263.jpg

He's very nervous and very grabby. He's also a bit of a nipper, mostly when it comes to food. He came right for me when I was topping up their food bowl last night. He didn't draw blood but he made his point very clear. He did the same thing this morning.

And here's Thor, the big, tilty boy.
2013-10-12144630_zpsff2c7fa6.jpg

He's also quite nervous but I can tell his curiosity will help him overcome that, in time. I am also concerned about the tilt. I have baytril and I've been giving him some. I'm doing 1cc twice a day. He's 510g. I feel like it may need to be comboed with something.

The New Boys, Thor and Loki grooming together
2013-10-12222206_zpsf8521046.jpg

2013-10-12222220_zps539555d3.jpg

The First Four:

They just got back from a couple hours of out time so they're all exhausted. It was a perfect opportunity to get some pictures lol!

(Hedwig has been renamed to) Bean in the ducky hammock (look at all that buck grease. Isn't that lovely? That's what you get for trying to be the macho man 24-7 lol)
2013-10-12224626_zps0fb5d9b8.jpg

(Calloway has been renamed to) Kurt in the bunk
2013-10-12224550_zps89fa25eb.jpg

2013-10-12224606_zps1f8620cd.jpg

Baal giving me the 'deer in the headlights look' because I caught him ripping up the fabric liners lol
2013-10-12224822_zps992a266e.jpg

2013-10-12224636_zps327f6132.jpg

2013-10-12224514_zpsba9677d7.jpg

Then coming to give me kisses. Being with the boys has done wonders for his confidence.
2013-10-12224524_zps7de16eac.jpg

And finally, Ozzie. He had been in the hammock with Kurt but he found himself a blanket and is now enjoying some alone time. Him and Kurt have become very close. I caught the first time in a while that they aren't cuddled up together.
2013-10-12224800_zps3257981a.jpg

Baal and Bean lol
2013-10-13004334_zps08d79718.jpg

The Dumbos are busy as ever lol.

Pippin is the only one who looks the least bit tired from today
2013-10-12225206_zpsc5a09ffa.jpg

Ty, ever the attention hog, trying to make a leap for it (I hate when it's their turn up top because he does try to jump if you're not careful!)
2013-10-12225158_zps2fcf31a9.jpg

Gandalf and Pavel bellies
2013-10-12225143_zps5a429ba6.jpg

and last but not least, Gandalf and Pavel's faces (Even though Gandalf is blurry lol)
2013-10-12225150_zps98baac2b.jpg

That's quite the gang! So I need some clarification - who is living with who right now, and what is your ultimate goal as far as the group goes?

Bean, Kurt, Ozzie and Baal are living together in one half of the CN, while Ty, Pavel, Pippin and Gandalf live in the other. Those 2 groups of are completely separate from each other. I'm going to start intros fresh between them and Bean and Ty, the alphas of each group and aggressors, are going to be neutered. Thor and Loki are also separate.

Ultimately, the plan is for them to all be introed together.

http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35493

Little Loki left us early this morning. It was very sudden. He began having seizures at 6:30AM and was gone by 6:45AM. We took him out, wrapped him in his blanket and held him. We did what we could, talked to him quietly and held him. He left peacefully, surrounded with tears but comfort. Thor is devastated. He leaned on Loki so much. Loki was his confidence and he is lost without him. When the seizures started, Thor was sitting beside him, looking up at us desperately practically begging us to help him. We brought him out so they could be together.

Loki, despite being nippy when he first arrived, always meant well. He was never aggressive, he just wanted him and his brother to be safe. He learned very quickly that we weren't going to hurt him and that he was always going to have plenty of food. He was even starting to become a shoulder rat.

I hate that he had such a short life and, selfishly, I hate that we got to spend less then 2 weeks with him. I miss him already.

RIP Loki
2013-10-12144514_zpsf38ab263.jpg

Grooming with Thor
2013-10-12222206_zpsf8521046.jpg

Back