Back from Dr Munn's - Tonka RIP :( Monkey did Fine :)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonka's internal abscess stayed at pingpong ball-sized for awhile, then it became golf-ball and recently small soft-ball. So my rapidly aging girl is back in to have the abscess drained. As soon as I saw signs of discomfort I called to discuss it and they had a cancellation today so rushed her in. Dr Munn called me at work to talk about it, and the fact that she is older, and more compromised, but we decided (esp. with the pain factored in) that we would go ahead. He isn't going to put in a drain but we will try packing the cavity with antibiotic beads, a slow release antibiotic he uses for rabbit abscesses.

Wish us luck, when I pulled her sleeping from her hammock this morning, she was crackling so thats another negative factor. :(

Tonight I am going to block off the bottom of thh FN and leave Talty down there to comfort her. they are both very similar in temperament.

TaltyandTonkajun28.jpg

Tonks is still sleeping but breathing, a good combo in my books. :joy:

The abscess had detached from the abdominal wall and so Dr Munn had to reattach it, which was tricky since the abscess seems to be adhering to organs now :( Then find a spot to open her up and remove the guck. Not as much as last time but close :(
They stuffed in the beads and I was warned I would feel them, but they are very light so that at least won't bother her.

Glad to hear the good news. Hopefully she be back to normal in a few days. Fingers crossed! :heart:

awwwww, sweet girl.
thanks goodness Dr.Munn KNOWS his stuff! have you bought him a new location?a new car? or paid for a nice couple of trips yet?
lol
all joking aside, I hope Tonks is up and feeling better in no time hun...

All the best to your little ones! I know this goes without saying, but Dr. Munn is amazing. I just had the sad experience of putting down my rat Moo Moo and Dr. Munn was so understanding and patient and really made the whole terrible process a little less terrible.

Good luck with the surgery!!
xo

She looked very rough last night, her breathing was horrific too. :( She also looked like she wanted to be alone. So there was no companion for her last night and even today. She's brighter this morning, but not like the last time. She was under for a long time, and it just takes longer to recover when you are an older lady. :D She fought me on the metacam, her breathing noises sound better and hopefully she is sleeping and healing all day.

Back