Baby Wipes for Cage Cleaning

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We use water/vinigar for spot cleans and Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo for major overhauls :) Since we use the J&J for bathtime for all animals, I figured it was good to use on the cage. And it smells lovely.

I just use a spray bottle filled with vinegar and water, and then a paper towel to wipe everything clean and dry. Much cheaper than the wipes, and no unknown chemicals.

Every few weeks on warm sunny days, I take the cage outside for a good hosing down, then let it dry in the sun.

minnow said:
I'd advise being *very* careful with Lysol around pets. The active ingredient is highly toxic to most animals, absorbs through the skin and mucus membranes, and tends to stay in plastics for an extended period of time.

Why would you worry about using lysol, one of it's original uses was feminine douche ha ha ha

Making sure that you are using the correct dilution is important, we use the original lysol not the new age scented.

I now use baby wipes everyday, but every friday I take the cages outside and spray them down with cage cleaner and let them soak.

puffnstuff said:
I just use a spray bottle filled with vinegar and water, and then a paper towel to wipe everything clean and dry. Much cheaper than the wipes, and no unknown chemicals.

Every few weeks on warm sunny days, I take the cage outside for a good hosing down, then let it dry in the sun.

I tried the vinegar and water mix, but it never worked well with my ratties noses. Also I find PT leaves white pieces behind. Also baby wipes have no unknown chemicals, as they are used for baby bums :)
& if you get them in bulk, they are rather cheap and convient.

I have a bunch of tools for cleaning, including baby wipes, wet tissue, dish scrubber, dishcloth and detergent. For thoroughly cleaning, I will use dish scrubber, detergent and warm water to wash first and then wipe the cage with a clean and dry dishcloth.

So I have seen that alot of people use baby wipes to clean their cages, so I bought Huggies Unscented & hypoallergenic baby wipes. Is this the kind I should be using? What kind do you use?
I used them last night & even tho they are scent free ..they still smelled like baby ..this morining when I got up and come out into the rat room ..all I could smell was baby ..lol.

We use vinegar and hot water to spray down the bars and trays when cleaning our cage ...I think theres ways to use paper towels and a solution to make your own wipes .. might be cheaper ?

Back