Baby Wipes for Cage Cleaning

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I have seen that alot of people use baby wipes to clean their cages, so I bought Huggies Unscented & hypoallergenic baby wipes. Is this the kind I should be using? What kind do you use?
I used them last night & even tho they are scent free ..they still smelled like baby ..this morining when I got up and come out into the rat room ..all I could smell was baby ..lol.

We use Lysol/Clorox/Whatever is on sale for 2 for 1. =) I know they're not all hypoallergenic and unscented, but I let everything dry before it goes in the cage, and most of it is covered with fleece anyway. Just don't buy the ones with 'moisturizer', they leave it feeling all greasy. :p

I use Percept RTU wipes. However, I wouldn't let my animals have direct contact with any surfaces I used these on because their pretty strong (They say that they're organic and safe for contact with skin, but I don't like to take chances) I let it sit for 5 minutes, then I wipe it up with a moist cloth and a little bit of Natures Miracle. They're really good though, since they're a general virucide and bactericide.

MomRat said:
We use Lysol/Clorox/Whatever is on sale for 2 for 1. =) I know they're not all hypoallergenic and unscented, but I let everything dry before it goes in the cage, and most of it is covered with fleece anyway. Just don't buy the ones with 'moisturizer', they leave it feeling all greasy. :p

I never liked the idea of using wipes made to clean your house with....too many chemicals for my liking. Especially since if the rat's fur comes into contact with an area cleansed with one of those wipes (which is likely for my men) then they could be ingesting any residual chemicals that will still be there even after air drying.

I'd advise being *very* careful with Lysol around pets. The active ingredient is highly toxic to most animals, absorbs through the skin and mucus membranes, and tends to stay in plastics for an extended period of time.

Same here... I'm trained in detergent chemicals and it's really really bad for you. I don't even use it in my home. Stick with the unscented baby wipes.

smilez_n_hugs said:
MomRat said:

I never liked the idea of using wipes made to clean your house with....too many chemicals for my liking. Especially since if the rat's fur comes into contact with an area cleansed with one of those wipes (which is likely for my men) then they could be ingesting any residual chemicals that will still be there even after air drying.

I ran out of wipes yesterday when I was cleaning my cages and decided to try out vinegar and water in a spray bottle. I was ASTOUNDED with how well it cleaned up dry stuck-on urine! I have used those special cage cleaning sprays, baby wipes, Lysol wipes, etc etc and I have not found anything that works this well. I would recommend it. Then all you need is a wet cloth after the initial vinegar spray with paper towels to make sure there is no scent/residual left over.

I hope this is OK for the ratties, I really want to continue using it!

A combo of vinegar and peroxide(sprayed individually to allow chemical reaction, as opposed to mixed in the sprayer) is our other cleaning method. But now that our cage is WAY too big to fit in the shower and rinse off, we've sort of gotten away from it. I clean our floors with diluted white vinegar + peppermint oil, but I suppose the peppermint could be bad for the ratties if I used that one on their cage?

They say if you want to repel rats use peppermint oil...so I don't think I'd use that for the cage.
I use vinegar and water with a mild dish soap detergent to wash my cages.

i make my own, but it mostly vinegar and water (and paper towels of course). i'm not sure if it's cheaper or anything but at least i know what's in it.

jorats said:
They say if you want to repel rats use peppermint oil...so I don't think I'd use that for the cage.
I use vinegar and water with a mild dish soap detergent to wash my cages.

I have read this too...and I think its funny...cause my ratties love peppermint...I have had the essential oils and they sitt by the door of the cage and sniff the air in the direction the smell is coming from...and if I move it to another side of the cage...they will all run to that side and sniff wildly like they would like to get at whatever that wonderful smell is...
They loved candy canes at christmas and peppermint candies and I had them steal a package of fishermen's friends peppermint cough drops and these are crazy strong peppermint...

I also use diluted dish soap with vinegar and water to clean them and in the past when I've had lice problems I've used very diulted bleach and rinsed clean afterwards. Both seem to work well.

I bought the cheapest baby wipes I could find today, of course they are hypoallergenic and unscented ..and they actually never smelt like baby, I was pleased :)

So those of you that clean with baby wipes, do you just use baby wipes exclusively? I don't think I'd feel the cage got clean enough if I did that too often - I use a washing up bowl of hot water and lemon juice scrubbed with a dish sponge because the guys soak everything with pee and the bars get sticky D:

Everyday I take out houses and litter pans and wash them with hot water and abc detergent, I wipe down the whole cage with baby wipes. Once a week I take the cage outside and hose it down with hot water and ABC detergent.
Baby wipes clean poopy bums, so they can clean cages :)

Babies still get baths in between, but I guess you're right in saying that lol You seem very thorough :p I can't get my cage out of my room in one piece so I have to sit up here with a dish scrubbing brush and a rough sponge and scrub it to death! XD

Back