Aspen

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

16kacha

Hi, so someone said none kiln dried aspen was bad but ive never heard the kilndried vs nonkiln dried arguement with aspen since it doesnt contain phenols like pine and cedar do. I know they kiln dry aspen to eliminate bacteria, yeast and mold but does it have to be kiln dried? Do theu even sell unkiln dried aspen?

like you, I have never heard of this.
I was not aware that they kiln dry aspen to eliminate bacteria, yeast and mold
I wonder if they were confused re softwood

I wasn't aware of kiln-dried aspen, but I was of kiln-dried pine. A local rat breeder instructed me that kiln dried bedding typically does nothing more than remove moisture from the wood and doesn't actually get hot enough to remove phenols, which I assume goes the same for fungi and bacteria.
That same person also says aspen is safe so long as there is no excessive odor or dust. She is against pine and cedar, whether or not they were kiln-dried.

EDIT: I've never used any sort of wood bedding for my rats. I've always used paper or fleece, so I'm not sure if any of this is true or not. Perhaps more experienced members could give insight on this.

Back