as gross, and uncomfortable they are, PLEASE go....

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henry's_mum

and have your papsmear (sp?) done at least yearly...
We had a friend diagnosed with HPV, and then Ovarian Cancer, pass away this week. She was 36, and leaves behind her 13 y/o daughter, and a husband.
As much as I HATE going for mine, 3 years ago, I made the promise to her, and myself and family that i'd ALWAYS go.
The funeral is on Saturday, and it will be heartbreaking.
I love alot of you like fmaily, and wish that you too will promise to go yearly to be checked...
:cuddle: :cuddle: :cuddle:

I lost my Grandmother to ovarian cancer so I definitely understand how important it is to see a gynecologist yearly. It's a good reminder to everyone.

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

I think paps are greatly needed and overlooked by many. Thankfully I have had one done every year (or more) since 2007, I thank the kids for that. I will continue to make my appts. Let's not forget those boobies too!

It's ucky but it's fast and uncomplicated and you are done for a year. I have been getting mine every year for the last 21 years.
Same with breast exams... Ladies, you've got to stay on top of your health.

I'm so sorry Lynds for your loss and so sorry for that young family.

I'm over 30... my family Dr. says it's only necessary to have them every 2 years now since there is no history of ovarian cancer in our family. (Also, because I'm married and have only one sexual partner.)

Uncomfortable is having a "newbie" clamp in place, then forget where the swab is and leave you lying there like that while he looks. Ugh! At least hubby was there to add comic relief! (Went in to confirm pregnancy.)

I've been told every 2 years too by Family Planning, as a 26 year old married woman... but full exams (including pelvic) every year.

:( So sorry for your loss.
I'll be going in just a few weeks.

Lets not forget our boys too... Testicular cancer is huge among men 18-25... Its very treatable as long as its caught early...

Agreed. We are lucky to have a test that can catch cancer at an early stage.

I am so sorry for your loss and for your friend's family. It never makes sense that such a young mother could die.

Thats a terribly sad thing to read. Im very sorry for your loss and her family. Its a very hard thing to have to go through.

I do want to mention that Papsmears have no bearing on detection of Ovarian Cancer, they are to check for cervical changes/cancer/HPV. There really is no good early indicator and it usually is found in later stages unfortunately. There is a blood test..CA 125, but that is not usually run until there is a really high risk. The exam done during the pap will help the doctor detect changes when they do the internal exam.

Its important to get yearly check ups, to follow docs orders and do what you need to do to protect your health the best you can.

Mine is scheduled for December 21st, not looking forward to it, but its important. I have a 13 year old daughter as well and I want to be around for as long as I possibly can be.

BTW..... dont ignore the mammograms ladies!!! baseline between 35-39 and do it yearly starting at 40! I know they changed some of the reccomendations, but I go with better safe than sorry!

I just had mine friday.
I've only ever had one other... and usually when i get tests done its because something is wrong so I do hear from the doc...

Should I expect them to call me and tell me that my pap is normal? or should I assume no news is good news?

OMG, I'm sorry.
I hope her daugher realizes the importance of having this test done when she's older and doesn't see it as a thing to be feared considering how her mom died.
Maybe one of her mom's friends could keep a comfy relationship with her to be there to explain or accompany her when time comes for her 1st exam.. Not something you feel ok talking about with Dad or Grandma... I'm sure her mom would appreciate that of someone who could make a relationship now with her daugher

Should I expect them to call me and tell me that my pap is normal? or should I assume no news is good news?

If you dont hear from them within the week, call and ask. Many docs take the "no news is good news" but I always want to know. The doc I see does call with results, peace of mind is priceless.

Back