Anyone have this cage?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadamBelladonna

http://www.petsupplies.com/item/a-and-e ... 1b2166becc

It's called the A and E 3 level Ferret cage, which I've never heard of before. I've been shopping around for a nice, big cage for a better price than a CN, but similar to CN. I came across this one and it's not really like a CN but it still looks pretty spacious... not worried about wire shelves, I can cover them.

The others I am looking at are the Prevue Hendryx Feisty Ferret cage ( http://www.walmart.com/ip/Prevue-Hendry ... s/12438846 ) and the Marshall Estate Ferret Home ( http://www.petsupplies.com/item/marshal ... 1b2166c62d ). Again, not worried about wire shelves or bar spacing, I've got plenty of hardware cloth.

Gimme your thoughts! If there's something I haven't listed yet that would be a good option (under $200 USD) let me know, open to other options!

I dont recall ever seeing that. the only concern I could see if the feeding doors, I hope they latch tightly......

Oh wow, that Marshall cage looks very nice. It actually looks...astonishingly like an FN. I wonder why there's such a price difference?

The Marshall cage is okay... I didn't realize how much I would prefer the FN till I had both. With the marshall cage you don't get a pan for the bottom of the "top" half. The Marshall cage is also much smaller. The shelving also sags down with weight and slips out of the holes quite often. I really dislike it and wish I would have spend the extra money to get the FN. Idk it just feels cheaper than the FN but functionablility it serves its purpose. I have 3 ferrets in it

Is it smaller? I was looking at the measurements and it seemed to be about the same size, but proportioned differently...but I'm bad with spatial reasoning lol. Would FN replacement shelves/pans fit on those top shelves?

I dunno what kind of cage Belladonna has (you've got an aquarium topper, right? or do I have you mixed up with someone else?) but I've got this stupid Superpets cage and I hate cleaning it so much.

Yeah, cage topper for the girls (cuz they're just babies right now-that's why I'm getting a bigger one. Won't stay babies long!) and a homemade cage for the boys. Homemade cage is HUGE, made it out of a bookshelf so I'm not worried about a new cage for them.

I thought about making another cage, but it is a PAIN IN THE NECK to make and I really just want a nice store-bought one.

If you are looking for a cage for your girls then you will probably want to find something with 1/2 inch bar spacing or if you do decide to go with an inch spacing just factor in the cost of wire mesh. I don't have any experience with the cages you listed but from personal experience a CN is totally worth the investment. It might take you a bit longer to save for it but if you take care of it the cage will last you for years and years.

The marshall cage just seems smaller and no the FN replacement cages do NOT fit the marshall cage. My advice to you is to spend the extra and get the FN. The quality is worth the extra money

smilez_n_hugs said:
If you are looking for a cage for your girls then you will probably want to find something with 1/2 inch bar spacing or if you do decide to go with an inch spacing just factor in the cost of wire mesh. I don't have any experience with the cages you listed but from personal experience a CN is totally worth the investment. It might take you a bit longer to save for it but if you take care of it the cage will last you for years and years.

Spacing is no issue, I've got TONS of hardware cloth leftover from building my boys' cage

MadamBelladonna said:
smilez_n_hugs said:

Spacing is no issue, I've got TONS of hardware cloth leftover from building my boys' cage

Keep in mind also that hardware cloth is galvanized and soaks up urine. It needs to be replaced from time to time and scratches the finish on the cage, which can lead to rusting. I've also got a CN (that cost a lot more than they do now) and would highly recommended. It's not perfect, but better than any other cage available.

Hardware cloth IS a big pain, that's true. Especially if you didn't do it very well so it sags. It gets caught on everything and definitely collects urine and such.

MadamBelladonna said:
Hey just found a feisty ferret cage on craigslist, it's been painted red-how bad is this? Anything I'd be able to do to fix it?

It depends what kind of paint it was painted with. If it was painted with toxic paint or any type of paint that comes off easily then you could have it sand blasted and powder coated (but I'm not sure how much that would cost).

kscanuck785 said:
I think it's MY cage you are looking at on CL!!!! LOLOLOL

is this the ad:
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/pet/2710157888.html

if so, yep, it's mine!

it has been sandblasted and painted with a non toxic paint.

this is not a perfect cage, it doesn't look like new, but it would def. work as a 1st cage :)

WOW ok lol

I will totally take it if you've still got it. PM me when ya can lol

Back