And now Fuzzy - RIP little ones. I did the best I could.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fenshae

EDIT: I found this site to be exceptionally helpful, probably the most accessible site I found on the topic especially because of the very detailed feeding amount tips and such. Figured I'd link it here in case this thread gets stumbled across by anybody in a similar situation.

Well. This has certainly been an exciting night.

Was heading to bed when someone knocked at the door. I open it to find my boyfriend's cousin with a shoebox in hand, begging for help for an emergency. In the shoebox? two pinkie rats.

I don't know a whole lot about them, apparently his brother found them in the parking lot of his work (Walmart). I don't know if they were dumped there or if they're wild or what the story is, but nevertheless, they ended up on my doorstep.

Not sure on age. no fur and eyes are closed but ears are open and they're fairly mobile. they're old enough that I can tell they'll be black berks. Or at least dark-furred berks. So I'm guessing around a week?

anyway. got some pedialyte and esbilac. they each ate .25cc of the pedialyte and I massaged em all over with a warm slightly damp cloth like i was grooming them, and induced both of them to pee. The site I saw said to start them on pedialyte then work up to formula so thats what I did. now they're in my hand so i'm tping one handed, hence the lousy punctuation lol.

I don't have a scale so not sure how much to aim at feeding them at a time. I'm also not sure he best way to try to feed them. the nipple on the bottle i have is for kittens so it's too big. i read they would suckle the corner of a damp cloth? For the pedialyte I fed them I just syringed it slowly into their mouth like I was giving meds but I know they really need to be able to suck in order to eat effectively and not swallow air. I've got a friend who's a paramedic so she's going to bring me some IV catheters I'll see if I can make nipples out of.

I've got them in my smallest carrier . I made a heating pad out of brown rice microwaved and put under a cloth, and then put that down on one half of the cage for them. They seem to like it, they're crawling around and trying to suckle at the floor which I think they think is mama. Guess that means I should try to feed them again...paramedic friend gets here with nipple soon. And that was a very strange sentence. Sorry, it's 5:30 AM and I'm a little out of it.
any help/guidance would be great. i'm not too optimistic about their chances wuith no foster mom but i can sure try.

oh, and pics.

babies3.png

babies2.png

babies1.png

Sounds like you are doing everything you can. Good luck to your sleepless nights and hope the babies make it. :hugs:

They very well might be wild rats. Nevertheless, they are getting a chance at life thanks to you. I think you have to feed them quite often...
Good luck!!!

I heard somewhere that you can use a paintbrush so baby rodents can suckle it. They also need to be fed every 2 hours ...around the clock. I look for where I got the info. Good luck!
This is where I got it. The woman seems to have lots experience with different babies. Ive watched all her videos. This is a thud warning too as the baby mouse is so adorable :thud:
http://www.youtube.com/user/CreekValley ... NX2byHbppM

Well, good news abounds, my friend hooked me up with a pretty sweet feeding system with the iv catheters/syringe, the babies took to it right away and started suckling up a storm. So now time to catch a snooze before I have to feed them again. If they're around 1week I should be OK with feeding them every four hours, which means the boyfriend gets to be trained in this also so they can eat while I'm at work. Unless I try to sneak them into my cubicle drawer...... >.>

Anyway. Alright. Snooze time.

ALSO anybody care to weigh in on the ears? You can see in that bottom shot the best, at least one of them has ears that seem to stick straight out which means we might have dumbos on our hands. How exciting is that. I took a peek down south and I *think* they're girls but I really suck at sexing. Will try to get sexing pics up later so we can play that game.

But first....zzzzzzzzzz.

They are well under a week unfortunately from their lack of coat. My guess is 4-5 days? You have your work cut out for you that's for sure. I thought wildies for sure until I saw those ears...confusing.

Well, good news -- 3 hours later, eepers are still eeping.

@Shelagh - I was going off of Bellaratta's Growth Journal for my age estimate, they look exactly like that bottom picture/the 8 days picture on the next page. You think they might be younger? hrm, not encouraging news. Glad to see I'm not the only one with some suspicions about those ears, though.

back to sleep I go. ugh.

Good luck with your little sweeties. They are awfully lucky little ones. Sounds like you are doing great with these wee ones, but if you have any questions you might want to PM Phyllis. She has raised several very tiny babies like that.

Aw yeah Shelagh, that's...pretty much identical to mine. Man.

They're still squirming and eeping away, so steady as she goes I guess. I tried them with formula this feeding and they did OK. I might swap out the syringe for a smaller one though, it's hard to regulate the milkflow with this one.

Ran home from the in-laws to check on them & feed them some lunch. Glad to see they're still eeping away.

Does anybody know approximately how much a 5-ish day old baby should/would weigh? I'm trying to figure out how much they should eat. they've been suckling like a champ but tend to turn down anymore after about .5ccs, which based on what I was reading would be what they should eat if they weighed 10 grams. but I don't really know what 10 grams looks like and I don't have access to a scale just now. Clearly I need to borrow one from my drug-dealer friends....

Back