An unsocialized female (added pics)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so she is cutting you. So it's a little more serious but still not aggression, that's good. It's going to be hard to teach her but it's not impossible. I have two boys right now who do this and I'm trying to teach them not to. One thing in the past a member wrote was to feed them with a spoon so that when they bite down, they hit the spoon, eventually they stop the biting down and started to lick instead.

Okay I will try it thanks shes fine once I pick her up I use a small baby blanket and scoop her up with it since no matter what I do with my hands as soon as they go in her cage for anything she immediately comes up to my hands and chomps but once she is up in my hoodie she is fine she then nips its alittle hard and stings but its more like she is just test biting then and it's just occasionally like if I'm texting she will come nip the thumb so that shows me she bites then outta curiosity which I'm okay with that but she always assumes as soon as my hands are in the cage it's for food and 90% of the time I don't even have food :/

Her chillin in my hoodie
34jcbjl.jpg

otntcl.jpg

34gpk5c.jpg

She's so pretty. :nod:

I have read that if you make a little squeak noise when they bite you it makes them realize they are hurting you. I have never needed to try it, so I don't know if it works. Has anyone else heard about this?

Are you giving a very loud "EEEEP!" every time she bites you? You need to communicate with her that you disagree with her behaviour. If she bit another rat, they would tell her in no uncertain terms that they didn't like it with a loud squeak. Don't pull away your hand either (unless she's going to town on you!) because then she learns that biting makes you go away. That would be reinforcing her behaviour. But, if she's chewing the bejeepers out of you, then concessions need to be made...

Yeah lol she getting better with the out of cage nips from only working with her an hour shes gotten alil bit softer each time I just tell her no and use my other hand to scoot her away from where she was nipping now the hand in cage that is alil more difficult she bite hella hard lol but she is very smart tho and learns fast

apparently my rats hate the sound of clapping lol so whenever they get into some on the floor they're not suppose to or trying to chew up my barricades i clap it kinda startles them, not really, but get's their attention. and they stop and run off. i treat them like dogs i guess lol they dont go near my tv cords any more, that's for sure, so it worked for me. i dont know if it will work in your case with the biting but i guess im just adding to what greylightnewday and joanne said. seems to prove pretty effective, from my experiences

Lol usually snap my fingers for my boys it does well I've been doing the EEP! Everytime now that she tries to nip it works well now she's really gentle shes learning sooo fast :) I hate to say it but she is definitely smarter then my boys lol and it's kinda sad you can tell she is so lonely tho she keeps bruxing in my hoodie and she is loving the rubbing her head I can't wait to get her spayed so I can do intros with the boys so she will have friends

Hmm? They came in upside down? That's strange it's an iPad so it automatically adjusts to whichever way I hold it so idk :/ the all look right side up to me. On a side note Dixie was being feed dog food and now she hasn't touched her food really will she just eat whe she is hungry enough?

Hmm? They came in upside down? That's strange it's an iPad so it automatically adjusts to whichever way I hold it so idk :/ the all look right side up to me. On a side note Dixie was being feed dog food and now she hasn't touched her food really will she just eat whe she is hungry enough?

In the recent pics, your head is at the bottom, unless you are lying down and you took it that way.
I'd give her time, she'll eat when she's hungry.

Sorry I did t mean to post upside down pics I've been making her chill with me as much as possible and good news is today she ran from my hands instead of bit so she is still fearful of being picked up but I've been scooping her instead of grabbing I think she will warm up to it quickly :)

You can give her other nutritious treats and yummies - my rats love rice and pasta and salad and fruit and oatmeal and mashed potatoes, and, and...... :)

Actually had a beautiful break through today :D no baby blanket she let me scoop her up and no bites or anything she actually came right up to the cage door to be scooped up :dance:

Back