An unsocialized female (added pics)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ace8670

So I've been begging my gf for this rat on Craigslist I will have to get her spayed first I know since I have all males and I don't want lil babies running around on accident
http://reno.craigslist.org/pet/3639554173.html
That's her I talked to the lady she has some major human trust issues and bites can I work with that and get her to trust me or am I getting to far in over my head?

I think all rats can learn to if not love humans, accept us. I'm working on two guys who were never handled. It's quite a challenge. It takes time and patience. If you think you can do it, go for it. She's still quite young and a spay will be hugely beneficial for her.

Well I definitely have to get her spayed I just this cage for her
http://reno.craigslist.org/pet/3653158578.html
Til she gets fixed and what not I just really don't want my rat population to get out of control the owner only handles her with gloves so I'm super nervous but I'm picking her up either Monday or Tuesday evening

:heart: She sure is a beauty!! :heart: We had a boy who was also very afraid and would bite out of fear not aggression when we adopted him. Templeton came to love his scritches and pets but we just knew we could not pick him up. If we needed or wanted him out to play and socialize he would crawl into a hammock for us and we would transport him that way. So yes I do believe you can socialize all scared rats to some point.

A friend of mine just picked up a bite who was labeled as nasty and bity. The sweetie never tried to bite once.
I think it has a lot to do with with your energy. No grabbing, only scooping, making the rat feel safe and comfortable.

Biters aren't really that hard to deal with, most of the time it's just a lack of socializing, she might not have been very well handled or handled very often. It's not as bad with girl rats, I find their bites don't tend to be quite as strong, lol.

It's a patience game, when I got my Luciela she was so terrified of humans she wouldn't come out of hiding til she was sure I'd left the room. If I sneezed or coughed, she'd hit the roof. She still squeaks when I pick her up, but at least I CAN pick her up now (and that is with a few months of working with her, considering she wouldn't even come near me at first, she's come a long way). You just have to be careful about how you handle them and make sure to handle them every day and they'll eventually get used to it. Jorats made some very good points. Imagine how you'd feel if a giant hand came down on you all of a sudden ;p You just have to be patient, it's a wonderful waiting game. As long as you have the time to spend socializing her, I don't see why you couldn't take her on! Heck, the previous owner might just be unsure about rats and might be exaggerating, when you get her you might find she's no problem at all!

She really is a gorgeous girl, I am so jealous ;3;

See that's what I'm hoping for she did tell me about her cat sticking its paws in the cage and the rats comes up and sniffs her and has never bitten the cat and that she picks her up with gloves because she has gotten bitten by feeders before so I am hopeful and that just shows me that she isn't violent just fearful if she does any biting I will post pics when I go pic her up :)

How exciting! She is beautiful! I'm sure with lots of love and patience she will come around. And I don't know how many rats have been rescued on this forum labelled as "biters" and have turned out to be sweethearts. Looking forward to some pics soon!

So false alarm the only reason she was labeled a bitter is because she was feed treats through the cage -_- other then she is fearful of being picked up and she did get me a few warning bites when i was moving her from her carrier to her cage once shes in your arms she is actually pretty sweet I think she will do just fine :)
She was in a little tiny hamster cage and gave her a bunch of yummies (frozen peas and roasted peanuts with a banana lol) to help get adjusted we decided to call her Dixie

In the carrier
ajtt20.jpg

She IS squirmy tho
2vtacyx.jpg

Her in her new home and cage :)
i1kw9u.jpg

Yeah lol I'm gonna still try to get all the boys together she will be joining them after a spay :) hopefully intros will go just as well or should I wait and just intro her with Bobo? I never had a female before will the males fight with her being with them?

No, they shouldn't fight over her, especially since she will be spayed. She's a lovely girl and very lucky you went to get her

Okay she is very brave and comes right up to my hand when I put it in her cage and bites me -_- once I have her up in my arms she is fine so how do I train her not to bite?

Is she nipping you or biting you? If it's biting, you would be bleeding an in severe pain. Nipping, no skin is broken but it's very annoying and it stings.

Umm it's actually pretty deep bites like latch on with blood :( if it was just nips I could handle it but the nicks and cuts on my fingers hurt but I don't think she is trying to be aggressive she just associates hand equals food I think idk for sure tho

Back