Alright my favorite rat experts :) only when difficult :) ha

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He seems to be, it is really odd, loki i think can get along with any rat just about. I had them on the table, so i pulled the girls cage up to the table, yeah i know ballsy eh? lol but i closed off the bottom, took out the things to hide under and watched. It was a hump fest for templeton. No wonder he is sleeping like a rock now. Loki climbed up into a hanging basket with Pika and snoozed for a good two hours, they just cuddled.

Mally does not like Templeton mounting bindi, I freak out, it is hard to see a boy on a girl rat lol even if he is shooting blanks. Bindi kinda squeals, mally comes running to her aid.

I left them together for a while, till mally started getting a little cage rubbing war started. Templeton would rub one spot, then mally would come rub it a few minutes later.

So I am assuming since he is still rubbing so much he is still full of hormones?

tomorrow i will do the table again, switch cages for a bit, then see how it goes in the top half of the cage again.

My other intro group, Al is looking more and more like Templeton son. He is slapping Finley in the head LOL he doesn't hurt him, but he slaps at him. Finley is a menace and toby had to do it to him too, now they are best buds.

Ludo and al have been though some big changes, no more Loki and Templeton, they seem to be adjusting outside of minor attitudes. I just hope this works out for them all.

This is odd to not see a lot of attitude, I know when the newness wears off, then it might come through, right now Templeton has found his purpose as x-rated as it maybe. But his attitude now matches his actions LOL.

They have been in the cage since about 7am. Normally i don't move so fast, but I am trying to get Templeton out of excited hump mode, into ok, they are at my disposal, i dont have to act like this is the last meal on earth.

They girls pretty much ignore them, on occasion will go cuddle up with loki, but not Templeton, Loki is like the nice guy and Templeton is like the date from hell :laugh4: I hesitantly left them together since they were eating lunch while i ran to the store.....

but i came back to this

loki is in what is left of the cozygloo, alone with mally and another girl in the other one
205120_10150166280471409_634516408_7096821_8344762_n.jpg

The 3 other girls are in their basket, Templeton is on the right in the red one.

216067_10150166281171409_634516408_7096834_7061997_n.jpg

As far as tonight goes, I don't think i will leave them in there, I will see how it goes after they wake up from the afternoon nap.

I hope and pray the mounting business slows down at least a little bit. I guess we will see what happens as the days unfold.

Well they have been together all day. One outburst with mally but nothing major. The mount fest calmed down a lot. The girls have slowed down with the dance that drives him bonkers. They will sleep with loki but still not templeton. He lays under their basket, I actually felt bad for a split second. Then I remembered the hell he put me through. I am leaving them in the cage because the excitement meeting generates causes mally to get stressed then she tries to show the boys who the boss is. She does well when the group is quiet. Plus templetons mounts them for hours going from a lazy manrat to that can't be good. I will be sleeping by them to make sure all is well.

My other groups still has a little unrest with ludo and al but they seem to be working it all out without causing major damage to each other. The two boys seem different not being under templeton anymore. I can't believe this might actually be the end. Finally down to two solid groups with out comes I never imagined.

Not a peep from the cage all night :) happy dance. The boys stayed over with the girls. The humping pretty much came to a dead halt thank goodness LOL. Now to watch for the next few days and see if he digs his new living arrangement :D

This morning they were all in different spots. I let them out, gave them some banana's and they actually laid together.

Mally is with Loki, yesterday we had a big fight over this bed, they fight over these beds more than any bed in the cage. Mally did not want loki in it, she is a cocky girl, sticks up for her girls when the boys get them, and is the one i have been worried about.

With the boys, Templeton would have a total fit over one being in these beds. It was so bad i had to remove them. He does not do that with the girls.

208757_10150166865531409_634516408_7100816_4668049_n.jpg

Last night, bindi and loki

208159_10150166628706409_634516408_7099364_2759445_n.jpg

Last night, Templeton laid under this basket. He would try to get in it, they would stand there and squeak. This morning, they let him in there with them!

215484_10150166865721409_634516408_7100818_3054682_n.jpg

It is so nice to see him in a setting, relaxed and laying with other rats. He would not lay with the other rats hardly at all, he sought out the girls and climbed in with him, that says a lot about intros :)

Rats are funny little things. Imagine, making Templeton wait until the girls are ready for him to enter.
It sounds like it's going to work out just fine.

I think they are a done deal. But I am keeping the SP cage up, because every single time I talk about putting it up, hell breaks loose!

Templeton and Ludo came into our house in August I believe something like that. I swear he as been trying to get those girls every since then. Now he has them, and you can tell, he is at total peace. It is amazing.

Today has still been quiet. Templeton was sleeping with bindi, the little lover that she is.

The other boys are taking a bit longer, but the are males so I can see why. It is a normal intro with them though, which is a relief, you can tell they are still working on who is what. My rattie stress level is gone. I no longer hear screams from the cages. Even the girls seem to be getting along a little better. Pika, is a model girl, which shocks me.

Thanks again for all your help, guidance, and helping me learn the body motions/attitudes of the rats. Intros were so new to me when I started them with these guys, It was a relief to have someone to help me through it.

It has absolutely been utter chaos getting these guys down to two happy groups, but I believe it has finally been accomplished. A group of 8 and a mixed sex group of 7.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

As long as it stays that way :laugh4:

I was watching the boys, Two girls had loki cornered. He kinda just sat there, waiting for the storm to pass, they moved and he went an laid down, the difference is amazing. They are truly more gentle with the girls.

I think the girls are putting the law down about when it is ok to sniff them, lol the boys are obeying.

I really enjoyed this whole thread, sometimes so funny to read the antics. Glad everything worked out so well for all your ratties.

Thanks....It seriously made me crazy. well more crazy. I ended up taking ludo and al out of the hairless group and put them back with Templeton. I think they missed them to much.

So the final verdict is

mixed sex group of 5 females and 4 males.

toby's group only has 6....

But they are all happy now, I can put the old cage up. I just love watching how the boys and girls interact with each other.

So I figured I would keep to this thread. I guess I have missed it.

I am introducing Horatio and Mr lefty to the dopey s group. 8 boys. These guys are a bit of squabblers but never has been anything major.

I tried those two with all 8. It was bit much for the two boys :) Yeah I know. Mr. Lefty got one of the boys but nothing major, but it was puncture wounds so I have a bit of a fear with him now.

I have been letting these two out on the common area, I moved their cage right next to the boys so they are not as shell shocked as they were. Now they can meet with with out a major puff ball fest happening. I have been doing little meetings with one or two rats. These two are more fear based biters. The hairless guy hasnt bit, but the beige hooded has (mr. Lefty Testy)

Today i did a play pen, my ghetto fabulous one with Edgar and Eli. These two boys are generally the sweetest boys, I was hoping it would shine through with the intros. which it did.
296912_10150277403031409_634516408_8104505_3832230_n.jpg

Horatio does not like Edgar smelling him
321014_10150277403081409_634516408_8104507_4002495_n.jpg

Little puffy, look at horatios neck, it was literally tense!
296769_10150277407036409_634516408_8104555_7691821_n.jpg

I decided to sit in the pen for a bit with them, Mr. Lefty generally avoids me most of the time. Not today
299381_10150277407086409_634516408_8104556_1699868_n.jpg

This is Horatio's look through the whole thing, sitting in the corner making himself as small as he can lol

318470_10150277407401409_634516408_8104561_7658074_n.jpg

I let them meet for around 10 minutes. Right now I have switched cages on them. So I am sure have them all types of angry.

the two boys are sticking to one shelf in the fn. So i just blocked off the bottom half and put them in the top only. They are not happy about it at all.

I could tell when I was with them, the attitude was better for Mr. Lefty. I will probably keep to staying in there for a bit during intros.

Anything else I can do or try? I am worried about slapping 8 rats at them at once.

Mr. Lefty will be neutered on the 29th, he will also have a real name then, I told them at the clinic they could name him :)

The last couple of intros I have done have been two to eight, and one to nine. The big group already has their hierarchy figured out. If you split up the group for intros, the rankings will change, and then when they're all together again, things will need to adjust again. You can do a few at a time just to say hello, but when the real intros get going you will need the whole group together. (Unless you're not planning on keeping the group intact.) That's my two cents.....

I am trying to keep them all together. It was so over whelming for Mr. that I did a few hello meetings I am trying to get them used to the idea/smell a bit just in hopes it will make it easier. I know the real intros wont start until it is all 10 of them. I am just trying to find the best way to ease these two into it.

Once the neuter happens then I will be full speed ahead but right now I am just doing the little meetings to get them familiar and cage switches. which i just started.

i am not splitting my boys up, they are to bonded and have worked out their little hierarchy, these two are just different from the mean guy introductions i had with T's group. Just a little unsure how to do it.

Mr. is not thrilled with the idea LOL this is him in the boys cage.
319332_10150277510841409_634516408_8105660_1361080_n.jpg

Like Joanne, I like to do the big intros. But, go with your gut, if you feel they need smaller "hello" meetings, do that. It sounds like it's working so far. :)

Well I tried the "whole group" thing. Epic fail! I was only able to get 4 of the boys out.

If i sneezed LOL he jump two feet in the air! It was a great jump i must say. if i stand by him, he is running to get on me, tries to hide his head in my arm. At least I know he does see me as a bit of a safety. he doesn't show it well.

It was screams if i touched him, high jumps and spazzing out. He didnt bite but he was not even remotely comfortable with the situation. They spent the whole night switched in cages.

I am going to give it a few hours and try the play pen on the floor and see if that calms him a bit more than being on the table because that caused him major panic attacks.

I can remember a few threads with rats like this but right now I cannot remember who's. I know kimbers was one, and there was a few more. If you remember who's let me know I would like to go read up on their threads.

Back