Allergies to rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never was allergic but recently I have developed allergies to my babys :(
It seems I get more of a reaction around my black rats(more dander) If I rub my eyes after touching them my eyes swell and itch like crazy and every now and then I get hives on my neck and face but you cant see them the bumps are so tiny but you can feel them VERY easily. I'm around my rats all the time so I'm hoping it stops happening eventually..

I've started having itchy red marks down my arms and wherever they've touched me with claws too, and the hayfeverish symptoms :( I'd never get rid of them for the world though, I'm blaming my stuffed up nose and itchy throat and ears on excess dust! I've hoovered my room from top to bottom and let it all air out. Hopefully it'll help.

I've recently started breaking out in crazy itchy hives all over my body... I hope that's not a sign of a severe allergy to my boys. :/ I still am taking them out for their daily "out time" which is about 2 hours depending on what else I have left to do in the day (sometimes it's less, but never less than an hour and on weekends they get multiple out times throughout the day)... I'm more hoping I've developed a sudden allergy to the penicillin I'm taking for my ear infection. Never had hives before. Not enjoying it much. The worst places for them on me are the places my ratties crawl on me like my chest, neck, and arms. It's much more noticible on my chest than anywhere else, but half of that is because of the scratches they're leaving on me.

I never remembered having pet rats could be so painful! I didn't think they scratched me like this when I was little and I definitely never had any reactions to them!

I'm too scared to cut their nails, their toes are SO tiny and none of them like to be restrained at all... their fur is so silky smooth that they're SLIPPERY buggers and always find a way to slide out of my hands. I'm going to hopefully have a rock for them soon so they can dull their claws on that. It's getting ridiculous, everyone around me keeps commenting on my shoulders and chest because they're covered in welts. At least the hives are calming down somewhat... I'm thinking it might have been the penicillin I was allergic to!

My rat's have really sharp nails. I was afraid to cut them. So I bring them to the vet now and he does it. I tried rocks, stones, etc ..but nothing worked. My guys has their faces torn up from their long nails.

I take a shower at the end of the day and just deal with it for the most part.
i get hives and rashes, but i'm allergic to eeevverryything ESPECIALLY bunnies
and i live on a campus with a rabbit infestion so rats are no biggie :)

Cutting theyr nails shouldn't be a problem if you keep a firm grip on both the rat and the foot. Then get someone to gently cut their nails above the nerves / or make someone else hold the rat while you do the cutting :) Keeping them of your chest and shoulders by wearing a sweater with a high neckline also helps...

I'm posting this for a friend, she has 3 males rats, she gets all watery eyed and her eyes get puffy, what could she do to try and help? it just started happening all of a sudden?

Does she have an air purifier? And is she sure its rat related (I'm only asking because you said all of a sudden and its the time of year for seasonal allergies)?

Those symptoms seems to be those for seasonal allergies. Typically allergies to rats is more hives, rash, itchy skin, breathing issues. Maybe it's the bedding? My sister is very allergic to aspen and carefress.

jorats said:
That's crappy. Do allergy pills help?

Yes it sucks! it's def not seasonal allergies because it only happens when she is around her rats. What kind of pills should she get?

There are a great deal of allergy pills out there and all using different ingredients so I'd try them all until one works. Like Claritin and such but I'd use the store brands not the brand names, too expensive.

Ah I wanted to add if you don't think you can/don't want to attempt to cut your rats' nails, you can always file them! :)

Cait said:
Ah I wanted to add if you don't think you can/don't want to attempt to cut your rats' nails, you can always file them! :)

Ewww I tried filing but their little toes look so fragile and bendy >.<

I get extremely itchy with bleeding welts from scratching them too much. I use Aveeno Anti-Itch cream on them and the itch stops almost immediately. Any anti-itch cream, really. I also have the worst asthma I've ever experienced around them, particularly my rex, it's obviously the dander. :(

I'm positive if I ever get the chance to refill my puffer that there will be relief. Better get on that! I'd like to try giving them a single litter box to use and covering everything else with cut-to-size towels or flannel blankets that I can change daily. I also found that bathing them every time I clean the cage helps too.

As for keeping your rats nails filed, try putting sand paper on high traffic areas. :) Saves alot of stress on the both of you.

InternetGypsy said:
I also found that bathing them every time I clean the cage helps too.

Bathing rats can dry out their skin, and if you have males, they actually produce MORE buck grease, which is what some people are allergic to.

jorats said:
There are a great deal of allergy pills out there and all using different ingredients so I'd try them all until one works. Like Claritin and such but I'd use the store brands not the brand names, too expensive.

She tried one, and it never worked ..so she gave up and gave them away :(

Back