Advice maybe!?!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nia

Alright, a few months ago Plum had what looked like mites. To begin with I tried some oils and such to see if that would work however as soon as I would stop applying it she would start looking bad again. I went away for a semi-vaction towards the end of August and had a friend house sitting for me. When I got back I saw that she was worse than she had been, so I made her an appointment at the vet. He gave her a dose of Ivermectin and put her on what he said was an antibiotic (it says Rx:Smz_Tmp Suspension on the bottle). He had her taking 0.1 ml of this, twice a day, for two weeks then we went back in for her second dose of Ivermectin. By this time her wounds were dry and looked to be healing. Two weeks later, after still giving her the antibiotic twice a day, I called to let them know that she still looked the same as she did on our second visit. The healing process had seemed to just stop. They had me bring her in the next day. He gave her a third does of Ivermectin and put her on Baytril, 0.2 ml twice a day. It's been a week now that she's been on the Baytril and so far there's NO change!!! He mentioned while we where in the office last week that if in a few weeks she was still the same he may have to lightly sedate her and take a skin sample. He said there's a possibility that she could have a more rare type of mite. The vet has complimented me on how healthy she is and has stated that he loves her personality - he sees how well she's taken care of and loved.

After our first vet visit we bought her a brand new home, switched to a different type of bedding and went the whole nine yards! She stays so clean... idk what to do!!!! About 4 years ago I lost a hamster due to a vet, the vet messing with him was just too much and he basically had a heart attack. This worries me! Every time I take Plum in she tries her best to get away from them and back to me. It breaks my heart! When they let her go she literally jumps onto me and crawls to my shoulder, snuggles down and fusses at them. The idea of her being sedated, even slightly, terrifies me!!! I'm the chick that stayed at the vet alllllll day long on the day that my two chihuahuas got spayed and neutered! Yeah, I'm THAT mommie!!!!!!!!

Has anyone else gone through anything similar? Should I take her to a different vet? Any suggestions??

I tired to get some pictures of the areas this evening during play time, I did the best I could, she's very wiggly!

And here she is playing with mommie:

Have your vet look into Revolution topical treatment for mites. Ratguide.com, or members here can recommend a dosage. That does indeed look like mites. Also, try freezing bedding 48 hours prior to putting it in her cage. Mites frequently get in that way, and freezing kills mites and eggs. I'm not sure I under stand your vet usuing antibiotics for mites, except maybe to prevent infection in the scabs? Also, put any huts or other porous cage toys (wood chews, etc) in the freezer 48 hours to kill any buggies/eggs on them.

Yes, the antibiotic was because the area around the scabs was irritated and to fight off any infection that they could have caused.

Thanks so much, I will ask him about the Revolution and I'll start freezing her bedding!! Since this started she gets new toys every time I clean her cage. I just don't want to leave anything to chance! Maybe I'm a little paranoid now, but I want her to be safe and healthy!

If Revolution doesn't work she may have developed pyoderma or some other form of dematitis. Slight sedation, if done with gas, is quite safe and better for the rat because they won't get stressed or panic. If it doesn't clear up quickly, I would get further tests done to figure out what is going on.

With the Baytril Plum was doing the same however after she got off she got much worse. We went in to see the vet again and after some more examining of the areas, and all that we've done both on his part and mine, he has concluded that it is in fact not mites. He said it looks like she's been in a fight with another rat, which isn't possible as she is still my only rat at this point. He gave her another does of the Ivermectin as it helped her clear up some the last few times. He has also put her on a steroid .05 every other day as well as back on her first antibiotic twice a day (it says Rx:Smz_Tmp Suspension on the bottle). He also has me giving her .05 of children's benadryl once a day. He's thinking that she has bad allergies, which although uncommon is completely possible, and it's what is causing her to scratch so much and produce the sores. This is the first case he said he's ever seen of a rat with allergies... I'm also adjusting her food to make sure she's not in-taking too much protein.

Is it possible that she is having a reaction to something she is eating? Or possibly a new laundry detergent or something she is coming in contact with? I would def. try to get Revolution for mites. I took in 2 girls from someone who could not care for them and once I treated with Revolution and got them on a good, healthy diet, their skin did clear up.

The time before I took her in the vet said if she came back in he would do skin samples. This time around he didn't because he said that since there was nothing oozing out he didn't have anything to test. It's just red scratches. It doesn't even look the same as the marks she had in the very beginning. There's nothing new that she's come in contact with recently. When we first started treating her we bought all new things and she was getting better. Then he switched the medication and she stayed the same while on it, but as soon as it was done she started itching like mad. I honestly think the Baytril made everything worse. She was finally scabbing up before he put her on it, it was just taking her scabs forever to heal, almost like she'd hit a point where they weren't really healing anymore just staying scabs. We're using the soft CareFresh bedding for her. In the beginning the vet seems sure it was mites now he's acting like he's certain it isn't. As far as Plum herself, it doesn't seem to be affecting her other than the itching. She's eating and drinking normally and still playing.

I'll assume your vet is an exotic vet? I would say try asking him to get a skin biopsy anyway just to eliminate any other poltential issues. I never heard of this before, so I can't really help, but I do know rats heal freakishly fast, so to hear that her scabs aren't going away is worrysome... I hope a solution is found for your sweety soon.

Joanne : I get this when I try to open the link: You are not authorised to read this forum.

Eeper: Yes, he is an exotic vet!

I took some pictures today to show you. It's not like the ones on the link above. It's literally all over her.

PicMonkeyCollage2.jpg

PicMonkeyCollage1.jpg

Took Plum to a different vet today. He did all kinds of tests as well as a skin scraping. Turns out she has a fungus!! She's got antibiotics and a once a week dip of sulfuric lime.

She's only had one dip (it's once a week) and has been on the antibiotic for 2 days now and she's already looking much better!!!!!!

HUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY :dance: :dance: :dance: I thought a skin biopsy would help clear anything up on what it could be, and looky looky it did! This vet did exactly the right thing! Oh plz send us pictures on her recovery!!! Like before and after pictures! lol :D

Back