adoption contract .... broken

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that no matter what type of pet you have, you learn what care the animal needs and you provide it.
When you take in an animal, you become responsible for it.

This family was given lots of information re rats, how rats hide illness, the need to be vigilant, etc. They were given links to helpful sites such as this one, a rat health care book, and were told they could contact me re. questions, concerns, etc at any time by phone or email.

You don't sign contracts that you don't intend to keep.
If you find it is more then you bargained for, you make other arrangements ... in the case of adopted animals that may mean returning the animal.

I agree with you SQ.

It's such a shame (and annoying) that people don't do enough research before deciding on a pet and then finding out it isn't for them.

How is Dandy doing? Poor guy. I hope he is feeling better.

.....but we all make mistakes also. When I first had rats, SQ would have probably been pounding on my door to get the rats back! Fifteen rats later, I'm a much more knowledgeable about caring for rats.

I'm also with Jorats and Dewi I've had dogs and rats and and I worry much more about my rats than I did my dogs as they are sickness-prone animals. Also, I spend more money on vet bills for my rats than all the years I had my dogs! But I still love my rats. :heart:

Yes we all make mistakes, but hopefully we make an effort.
This isn't about making mistakes ...
(If I had "pounded on your door", which really isn't my style, it would have been to offer help and share info and resources.)

This was not about adopters making a mistake .... it was about breaking verbal and written agreements and mostly it was about making sure the remaining girl was ok ... unfortunately Dandelion wasn't and isn't.

How does someone not notice a rattie losing so much weight that she is just skin and bones ... how does someone not notice a rattie struggling to breath because of fluid in her lungs ....
I made an animal cruelty complaint today because I do not want them to do this to another animal. I know that nothing much can be done but it will hopefully give them a wake up call.

RatsForever said:
.....but we all make mistakes also. When I first had rats, SQ would have probably been pounding on my door to get the rats back! Fifteen rats later, I'm a much more knowledgeable about caring for rats.

I'm also with Jorats and Dewi I've had dogs and rats and and I worry much more about my rats than I did my dogs as they are sickness-prone animals. Also, I spend more money on vet bills for my rats than all the years I had my dogs! But I still love my rats. :heart:

Well, I guess I'm an odd person. I worry about ALL my animals equally but for different reasons. I will worry about my rats as much as my dogs, and worry about my fish as much as my rats etc. I'm always fussing over them no matter what AND...I worry about my neighbours pets too ( are they getting out enough or getting vet care etc).... seriously, there's no hope for me!

As for vet bills. I have adopted dogs with health issues ( that I knew before hand) so I'll probably spend equal amount of money on my rats as I do my dogs too. Haven't pestered the vet to check on my fish yet though...but I am tempted! :wink2:

I think I will go prematurely grey with the amount I worry about my pets, ah well! :giggle:

SQ when you don't notice an animal getting to skin and bone...that's outright neglect. If my dogs lose a 1lb I notice right away. I am so glad you got him back. AND right on for making the complaint. These people just shouldn't have animals.

Back