Adopted the one eyed boy (Christmas) - update

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it sounds like he is moving in the right direction. I'm glad to hear he is starting to be a little conscious of how hard he's biting you. That's a good sign! Keep at it - you will prevail in the long run, I'm sure of it. :)

Christmas enjoyed snuggling on my lap and watching TV wih me this evening.
The blanket he was burrowing in and my clothes smelled like the other rats and he was ok with it.

So things are progressing ... but later, before returning to his cage, the little monkey bit me.

March12ChrisonmylapwatchingTVtogether.jpg

Oh well ...

Christmas was out on my lap watching tv with me last night.
He still wants to be in charge but it has been some time since he has bitten me and drawn blood :thumbup:
Last night, Christmas grabbed my finger in his mouth (to show me who was boss), but he didn't bite down hard enough to hurt.
Either he is improving or I am getting faster at moving my hand away LOL

I'm going to go with Christmas is improving.
Hopefully, some day soon, I will be able to start intros without putting my other rats at risk.

I'm glad to hear he is becoming gentler. If he really wanted to bite you, I'm pretty sure any contact would be bloody, so he really is improving!

Christmas is turning into snuuggly boy.
He enjoys snuggling on my lap, being cuddled, and having his head rubbed.
On April 3 he switched cages again as the babies and their mama went into the R695

April03Christmasonthebox.jpg

Christmas standing on the box ... he likes boxes .... they're fun to chew :thumbup:

April03Christmascheckingthingsout.jpg

checking out the tube ... What is this thing?

April03Christmasisbackinthesinglecage.jpg

Now comes the hard and terrifying part .... trying to intro Christmas in with other rats ...

May 8 - Christmas loves to explore and he likes corn on the cob

May098Cristmasonthebed.jpg

Christmas exploring at Godmother's

May08Christmasisanexplorer.jpg

over here?

May08Christmasconsideringhopingdown.jpg

down here?

May08Christmaschecksoutabook.jpg

not here ...

May08HiChristmas.jpg

nothing in here ....

May08Christmaslikescorn.jpg

Ahhhhh ..... corn !
May08Christmassaysgoodcorn.jpg

Christmas hasn't bitten me for quite awhile, even tho I always smell like other rats.
He does grab my hand or a finger in his mouth when he is unhappy with me, and he bites down .... it hurts but he does not break the skin.
Christmas spends a lot of the time sitting on the side of his cage watching and listening to other rats in the next cage.
He does not show any signs of aggression.
I have had Christmas out on my lap a couple of times for a few mins with Molly.
Lots of sniffing but again, no signs of aggression

Yesterday I had a vet appointment for Petite Grisse and little Storm. My 3 older girls Petite Grisse, Molly and Alberta made the trip, along with little Storm and her mama Easter.
Christmas also made the trip ... in my jacket pocket and exploring the front seat and sniffing the bars of the container the girls were in. No signs of aggression.

In the waiting room at the vets I let Christmas join the group .... I have found vet visits and car drives can be good intro places as very unfamiliar territory and everyone is on their best behaviour.
Christmas ate treats in with the girls, walked around, sniffed a few butts, ate some more treats ... no signs of aggression.
About 10 min into the intro we had a fight between young big strong one-eyed Christmas and tiny ill Petite Grisse .... I immediately reached in and pulled Christmas out. Surprisingly, I was not bitten.

Elderly, frail Petite Grisse was having difficulty standing up and walking, she was bitten 3 times on the back and started bleeding a fair amount.
The vet examined Petite Grisse and said the bites were quite bad, quite deep - through skin and muscle ...
He said that if Christmas had bitten any harder, it would have punctured one of Petite Grisse's lungs. :sad3:
Poor Petite Grisse, no pain meds because of the pred she is on ....
Needless to say, Petite Grisse is not feeling very great .... not eating a lot, on meds .... very glad to be home in her cage with her 2 girlfriends.
While the vet was examining the ratties and talking to me, Christmas kept trying to get back into the container with the girls .... still showing absolutely no signs of aggression.

Christmas is still alone .... no signs of aggression when he eagerly watches the other ratties
I had thought introing him in with my 3 older girls would be good as they would not be any kind of a threat and they move slow so they would not startle him ....
My other two groups are all about 1.5 years to 13 weeks old .... so young, active, wrestling playful ratties that would likely be a threat to Christmas .... or move fast and be attacked when they startled him.

So .... I'll continue socializing Christmas. Perhaps continue introing him on my lap with one rat at a time ....

Please feel free at add any suggestions

Remember that of the males ratties he was abandoned with, he was the only male without a badly injured partial tail. Although his tail shows that it was injured in the past, it did not recieve the extensive injuries his cagemates had.
Christmas was seperated at the SPCA after the staff found blood splattered everywhere and his terrified badly injured cagemate hiding in the room.
Christmas was neutered in early Jan, and he chewed off one of his own toes after I adopted him.

When I had my very sick Chief, Sansa was relentless at attacking him. But she's perfectly fine with the healthy rats. I wonder if that's what happened with Christmas. Some rats sense sickly ones and feel the need to rid the colony of them. It's sad but it's part of survival. I would still try him with the others.
How old is he now?

jorats said:
When I had my very sick Chief, Sansa was relentless at attacking him. But she's perfectly fine with the healthy rats. I wonder if that's what happened with Christmas. Some rats sense sickly ones and feel the need to rid the colony of them. It's sad but it's part of survival. I would still try him with the others.
How old is he now?

Thanks Jorats. That is interesting .....
I have never had that happen ... a few insensitive greedy rats in the past that would steal treats etc from weaker, ill ratties or the elderly ... but that has been it.

I will continue to try him with the others ... but the eldery girls are not a good idea of he will attack weaker rats with health issues .... and the younger rats might be a threat to him ... from seeing the injuries on the other rats at the SPCA, I'm afraid he would likely kill them trying to sort out the social hierarchy :sad3:

I'm not sure how old Christmas is. We thought he was an older boy when I adopted him but my vet said he was a strong young boy when he examined Christmas shortly after his adoption in December. Christmas has grown and filled out since I adopted him ..... so I would guess that he is probably 9 months to a year old.

SQ said:
I'm not sure how old Christmas is. We thought he was an older boy when I adopted him but my vet said he was a strong young boy when he examined Christmas shortly after his adoption in December. Christmas has grown and filled out since I adopted him ..... so I would guess that he is probably 9 months to a year old.
That is a prime age for his reactivity. Give him a month or so and try again.

I too had a girl who would attack the sickies, she would bite their legs as they tried to get away from her. A few had HED. She was fine with the other rats.

I was bitten when I handed him a piece of carrot today.
No signs of aggression, just sniffed me and bit hard and deep ... lots of blood.
Guess I smelled too much like Petite Grisse and possibly other ratties.
A step backwards .... guess he needs more mauling (ie handling) and belly kisses

:cheeky:

Back