Adopted the one eyed boy (Christmas) - update

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
Today I picked up the one eyed lone older rattie boy with the torn ear who attacks other rats, drawing lots of blood, but loves people, from the Oromoncto SPCA.
He is one of the 18 ratties that were abandoned in a kennel outside of the Fredericton SPCA and taken in by the Oromocto SPCA, when the Fredericton SPCA decided to have them pts because of the condition they were in.
For their story see:
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=27897
and viewtopic.php?f=4&t=28090

Here are pics xio and I took of him earlier this week
Dec10boy08looksabitrough.jpg

Sweet older boy with Xio

Dec19boy08inhanda.jpg

Dec19boy08oneeyed.jpg

Dec19boy08mynewfriend.jpg

Sweet older boy cuddling with me

Dec19boy08Cuddling.jpg

Dec19boy08cuddlinglittleboy.jpg

I ment to take pics when Ratsforever dropped by with her rattie boys but we were so busy putting cages together and setting up cages that I forgot.
(I'm ratsitting for godmother and ratsforever at godmothers for a week. I'm going to be very busy with my 17 + 8 + 2 + 1 groups, godmother's 8 + 1 girls, and Ratsforever's 4 boys)
I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow.
He is settled into the top half of a martins 695
Poor little guy had a lot of changes today and is overwhelmed.
He is a lone boy because he attacks and seriously injures other rats.
He also bites through the bars hard enough to draw blood.
My plan is to get him neutered and then gradually intro him in with other ratties.

Edit: I took him so he would (hopefully) have rattie friends and not have to live alone
Hope I haven't taken on too much ......

some rats are mean when they are in pain...I cannot say that eye feels good! Is his tail ok?

Hunny even if that little old man cannot accept friends, that last picture says it all...he would be happy just to have you to love him. :heart: He's a very lucky boy no matter what happens with his social circumstances. ((hugs))

Looks like his life just got a lot better. So glad you saved him. Good luck with integrating him with the rest of your crew. I hope the rat sitting goes well and you really enjoy it.

Thanks for the moral support

:hugs:

hopefloats said:
some rats are mean when they are in pain...I cannot say that eye feels good! Is his tail ok?

I was unable to get him in to see a vet after I picked him up .... thought I had a vet appointment but there was a mix up
I do have a vet apt for him on Wednesday.
If you think he may be in pain, I can give him some metacam.
I don't like the way his eye looks, and no one knows how long it has been like this or what happened to it.
I didn't like his breathing when I saw him earlier this week at the SPCA, but it seems to be ok now

Last night he moved the floor material covering the wire in the 695 to see my 2 baby girls in the bottom half. He seemed very curious but not aggressive. He also doesn't seem stressed or bothered by all the other ratties in the same room.
All the other males in the room are neutered and all girls except Godmothers newest 5 and my 2 babies are spayed.
Anyway, another good sign :thumbup:

He is the only boy whose tail wasn't severely injured. His tail is fine, just needs a good cleaning.
(The girl's tails were ok too when I saw them at the SPCA)

.... I was up arrangng cages until 5 am .... then to the grocery stores and Walmart (opean all night last night! :thumbup: )for a few last minute rattie supplies, and back to godmothers for sleep at 7 am.
It was still snowing and roads were not the best so I drove about 40 km/hr all the way into town .... I was afraid I wouldn't be able to stop for rabbits, raccoons, pets, deer, moose etc. Fortunately I only saw a couple of other drivers and no animals.

Earlier today I was petting him in his cage and he bit my finger hard enough to make me bleed all over the place.

Now he is in my lap exploring and we are watching Harry Potter on TV.

Thought we were making progress today as he was happily shoulder sitting .... then he bit me, hard, and I had to run for another bandaid.
:(

Didn't anyone ever tell him not to bite the hand that feeds you??!

Maybe he heard that SQ gravitates to viscious biters, and figured he could stay with her if he keeps biting :twisted:

Back