Adopted the one eyed boy (Christmas) - update

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds like Chris is always going to be a 'problem child'. I'm glad that he is in your care - we know you will give him a great life even if he is a butthead.

I think he might never be suited to live with other rats. You were thinking that an unassertive rat might work, but Petite Grise was old and sick-- and he attacked her.

I would not feel safe putting young rats with him.

Godmother said:
I think he might never be suited to live with other rats. You were thinking that an unassertive rat might work, but Petite Grise was old and sick-- and he attacked her.

I would not feel safe putting young rats with him.

Earlier this year when that happened, Jorats wrote:
Some rats sense sickly ones and feel the need to rid the colony of them. It's sad but it's part of survival.

That made a lot of sense to me, especially where Petite Grisse was not a rat he knew and was the only one of the 3 girls he went after.
I am hoping that he will be able to free range and spend several hours a day with a couple of other rats,
even if I never feel safe allowing him to live with them.

Well .... my finger was chewed when I took Chris out of his cage this evening .... and two bandaids later, I seem to have stopped bleeding ...

But the intro went well .... no problems !!
and Chris even put up with being mauled by me LOL

October19TeaganandChristmas.jpg

October19ChristmasandTeagan.jpg

October19TeaganandChristmaseatingpuffedwheat.jpg

October19TeagangroomingChristmas.jpg

Chris being groomed. When Teagan gets too rough, Christmas just squeals ... no biting.

October19ChristmasandTeagantwocuties.jpg

October19TeaganandChristmastogether.jpg

SQ said:
mamarat said:
Does he also bite you outside the cage?

Yes, both inside and outside the cage but not consistently and no warning.
For example, he could be lying down on me and I could be petting him.
He might suddenly bite me very hard breaking the skin with blood everywhere, he might nip me but not break the skin, or he might enjoy being petted. I just never know ....
Since he's already neutered, I don't think there's much hope for him. He has some wires crossed in the noggin. :cry:

jorats said:
Since he's already neutered, I don't think there's much hope for him. He has some wires crossed in the noggin. :cry:

Chris doesn't seem to realise that it will hurt me .... if that makes any sense.
It is like another rat will nip or gently grab your finger to say I'm the alpha, stop etc.

And it isn't exactly a bite down, more like he bites down and then chews ...
He chewed off his slightly injured toe back in Jan.

I rescued a tilty rat once, House, and every once in a while, he would go berserk like that and bite down on humans and rats. I would put him in the punish cage but honestly he didn't seem to understand that either. lol

Thanks for the nominations ... it will likley be the last pic of the two together.
I have been fostering Teagan for Godmother and she should be taking her within the next day or so.

Back