Account of a Rescue and Her Litter! Day 25 pics & vid NE

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldsGal

Well I took in a momma rat from another shelter recently along with her litter of 9 babies who were about 4.5 weeks old. I also was given Daddy at the time. Daddy was given to me in a separate cage. Well Momma was separated from her boys at that time and the boys were put in with Daddy. The girls are all living with mommy. They have been in my home for 2 weeks now. However, last night I noticed that momma looked like she was getting awfully fat. The more I look at her today the more I have a sinking suspicion she might be pregnant again. I felt her tummy and it is not squishy like fat. It is kind of firm to the touch. I would start to weigh her daily but since we are living in a construction zone all of my things are packed away in storage including my rat scale :doh: I have tried to find it on several occasions for other rat needs before this and have been unsuccessful. I really hate to break down and buy another one when I know I have a perfectly good one already. So I have sent an e mail over to the shelter contact today confirming if daddy was in with momma when the mom and babies came in. One of three things is happening here....

1. Daddy was not pulled from momma before she had the babies and he got her pregnant again right after the babies were born.

2. The babies were not pulled from momma soon enough and one of her sons got her preggos (which I really don't think this one was the case)

3. She is just getting fat from all of the good food and no longer feeding babies.

So here are the pics. What do you all think? (Sorry I do not really have any before pics to compare)

DSCN1671.jpg

DSCN1672.jpg

DSCN1673.jpg

DSCN1674.jpg

DSCN1675.jpg

DSCN1676.jpg

DSCN1677.jpg

Holy crap... she's preggo! And I think Daddy is to blame. I really doubt the young boys would be the ones to have a go at her.

Ooooh, please post pics of the whole event!!

I don't know why but my brain won't work to calculate out an approximate due date. She has been with me exactly 2 weeks to the day. The babies were approximately 4-5 weeks old when I got them. So when do I expect babies? I plan to pull momma from the cage she is in and put her into a nursery cage to have her babies but I just don't know when to pull her as I don't want to leave her all alone without any companionship for longer than necessary. What do you all think. The good news I guess if there is any in all of this is that at least this litter of babies will be much better socialized then her other litter I have currently.

Staci

She should pop in 7 to 10 days. Unless... she was pregnant by dad a while before so that means she could pop any day now. :shock:

I would put her in her maternity cage now just in case. She has that low down bulge they carry when its going to be soon. I may be wrong on when since she was just pregnant and I assume her body is a bit stretched out of shape but she sure seems preggers to me. :D

She is a beauty too!

Yup, that be a baby bump! The main reason I'm posting though is to tell you that I just love her coloring! If I lived anywhere near you I would come and get her!! :lol:

Well I guess the vote is unanimous that she is preggos so I settled her into a nursery cage for the night. I still have a few things to add to it. I am scouring the house for a good nesting box and I will be giving her more and more pieces of papertowels and fleece each day for her to work up a really great nest. So without further ado here is Thumbelina in her new nursery with her first plate of "I'm a special preggos girl food!"

And note to mods since this is now more of an update thread rather than a question feel free to move to rat tails if need be!

DSCN1678.jpg

DSCN1679.jpg

Mmmm chikin good!!!

DSCN1680.jpg

:shock: I thought the chicken was babies at first!! :roll: Goodness! Well, I can't wait to see pics of the babies! It looks like it could be any moment! Congratulations, You're about to be a grandma! Again!

I think this is a good place for it too... a good account of a rescue girl, pregnant, birthing and raising her bubs. I may just sticky it too. :D

Back