A shock for me; found Katie dead in the cage

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godmother

This is the first time for me, and it was a shock. My sweet Katie, a feisty and lively girl who came to me as one of three sisters. She had been the runt of her litter, but you'd never have known it lately. She was only fifteen months old and had seemed perfectly healthy.

Tonight I gave meds to Leto, my little girl with PT, and refreshed food and water for the others. It was late, because I'd come home tired and fallen asleep in a chair for two hours.

I wondered why I didn't see Katie run out. Then I took up some kale for the girls.... Still no Katie. And then I found her, lying in a Kleenex box, dead for no obvious cause. I can only assume it was her heart. She looked very peaceful. RIP, little sweetie.

I'm so sorry godmother. As sad as it was, just remember that she died so peacefully, and with her friends in her little home. That is a blessing compared to so many of our rats that have to be PTS, or spend their last few months fighting against tumors or infections. Rest in peace little baby.

How awful!!! :sad3:
No doubt she died peaceful and happy knowing that you were her human.
Run free at the bridge with all your friends Katie. :heart:
Watch out for my Olive tho.
She will steal your treats. :hugs:

I'm so SO sorry for you Godmother. For Katie I'm so happy she had a good life and truly lived til she left. Young yes, but that's just a sadness for you, not a suffering for her. Thankyou for giving another kid a good life. Heartfelt Hugs.

I'm so sorry for your loss :( I found it so hard to find my Luna passed away when I knew there was a good chance she would as she was very sick, I can't imagine losing one when they seem healthy.

Thanks, everyone. It took me quite a while before I could go up to sleep. I kept thinking about how I might have missed something. This is especially because my focus has been on Leto's PT. I didn't even worry about the three sisters because they are lively and always at the cage door when I come in... until Katie wasn't last night. She had a good appetite even yesterday morning.

I find it strange that her two sisters were acting completely normal, even though Katie was lying dead in the Kleenex box. I guess they'd checked her out and come to terms with it.

Please help, I am loosing my baby Carmella as I type this. She has a PT and over the last 4 days, she has showed symptoms and now progressed to her last breaths :( she is only 18 months. She is from a good breeder. I feel like I caused this by doing something wrong. Is this something that was inevitable? She was the sweetest animal I could have hoped for. It is breaking my heart

Back