A New Henry for Henry's Mum-NEW pics!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
None of my hamsters have ever bitten without a reason. Either my hands smelled like food, they were socialized, I had woken them up or they were territorial. Hamsters make great pets if you take the time to understand them.

This little guy is adorable! <3 Congrats!!

The habitrail cages are far too small, hamsters need lots of room to move around. Most people either recommend bin cages or aquariums (20 gallon long minimum) for hamsters. They don't have such sensitive respiratory systems as rats and so long as the cage is cleaned as needed. Be sure to get a solid surfaced wheel as well. ;)

Here's an example of the bin cage I made for my meecers.

Lack of bedding is due to a mite scare I had here, but upon checking the mice today I can safely attribute the balding to Marley and her barbering behaviour.
I took me an hour to make and if you have one of these lying around it is super cheap to make.

i've got a TON of bins, but they're either full of litter, food, etc. OR theyve got no lids...
I do have the purple based SP cage open at the moment, I wonder if this would be ideal?

one of the ones shown here ontop of the FN's?

Looks good to me then!

Maybe he'd even like a hammie-hammock... Some of mine used hammocks! And those things are tall enough maybe you can rig him up a level with a ramp... Ooo... Hamster cage planning...

I'm sure he'd be happy in there. All you need is a nice hamster size silent spinner. The wheel I'm using for him is too small and every once in a while he gets his head caught in it when he tries to get off. I don't want to take it away though cause he loves his wheel!

- Water bottle
- Bowl
- Level
- Ramp
- Wheel (big enough he can run without his back curving at all)
- Hamster hammock!
- Some hidey houses, like a mini igloo even!
- PVC tubes (bigger around than the habitrail ones. he needs to be able to turn around in them easily)
- Lots and lots of bedding/nesting materials
- Sticks (mine liked apple branches, these are just fun for them to chew)
- My dwarves liked having a sand pit, pretty sure my syrians never cared, but it might be fun for him. THat would just be if you're trying to fill space in the cage though, it serves no practical purpose as they don't bathe in it like dwarves do. He might use it as his litterbox even.

Basically that's about it really... Whatever toys/boxes/whatever you want to give him I bet he'd like too.

Henri is ADORABLE!
he's still in his travel cage for the night as I had a bit of a fall on my way out of Shelagh's apt. tonight.
He'll go to his bigger cage tomorrow.
But for now, here's Mr.Handsome!

He will resdie in Coles room, away from the rats....

Back