14 Ratties (& me) now have a home in Halifax, NS

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HMMM I really don't know what to tell you. When I was in Sudbury I lived in a worse part of town, but I borded with a family of three. So it wasn't really all that bad.

You have been looking for months. It really depends on what you think is more important. I like pros and cons lists, they help.... sometimes.

Sorry I can't be more help.

I did a quick google search on a few well known alarm system companies, and they required a 36 month contract. :(
Not very helpful if you're not sure how long you'll be staying.

**sigh** Maybe I'm just being a Drama Queen over this but...as a friend, I would be concerned over your safety. Yet, I lived in real sleazy places in Boston and survived :wink:

Too bad you can't get a big dog.

It's too bad you can't get in there until you find something better.
I don't know... this is really a hard decision.

Personally, if it were me, I'd sign the lease, I wouldn't hold back my education.

I also would sign the lease. You know how hard it is to find a place now.
You seem to like the place overall and thats important.

don't put your education on hold now, when you've got it started again.
Its only for a year, not a permanent move. :thumbup:

Just returned from Halifax (5th trip to look for a place).

Applied to move into a one bedroom apartment at the fire bombed building but on the second floor ... same price but much nicer.

Does anyone know much about bedbugs?
I did a google search ... seems the building was recently sprayed for bedbugs Ugh!!
no personal experience ... will they bite ratties?
Hope this means they are dead but I wonder ...

Suggestions, info. ....
Should I still want to live there?

Oh I hope this works out for you. You have to feel better about the location of your apartment in the building. The other seemed scarey. The bedbugs you can probably get rid of if they were to return. I agree with Jorats that most pest control know what they are doing.

Ann

Such hard decisions. ONe thing that is helpful is to contact local police to find out about unsafe neighbourhoods, affordable ways to prevent break-ins at vulnerable points like balcony windows.

When I lived out west, the local police often gave talks on things you could do to keep safe.

Haven't heard back about the apartment (applied to rent it - some woman sat on my application for a week and no one clould find it or the cheque I had written :( ) so still looking for a place ...
have to be at school tomorrow ... driving to Nova Scotia in the morning as will not have anyone to look ater the ratties until then ...

Burrell escaped from the play area yesterday, tried to get Ralphie through his cage, and bit me when I picked him up. My hand is very swollen .. can't move my fingers .... went to emergency last night - they said it was swollen because of internal bleeding and that it would be several days before it goes down Oh well, so much for packing, cleaning, etc. keeping my hand elevated ...

Started school this week. Had to be at school on Tuesday so drove up from NB Tuesday morning.
I am in a very intensive program - only nine of us are in the first year of this masters program. I am feeling quite inadequate.
Heading back home to NB now ... can't wait to see the ratties ... Linda has been ratsitting them this week ... which I really, really appreciate!!

It is about 5 hours each way, so no commute.

Good news tho ... think I may have found a place ... 8)

Keep us posted on the apartment hunting. I bet you will look back at this is a couple of months and says that all this trouble was worth it.

Ann

Back