Girls have arrived/spay done/time to meet boys

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sonoma was doing owie stretches this am while eating breakfast so more metacam was quickly handed out and they have all been sleeping together since. Eldora acts like nothing happened and wants to climb around.

how much metacam did your vet give them? was it once a day dosing? how were they right after the surgery?
my girls were in a lot of pain after their spay and i discovered too late that the vet way under dosed them for pain meds. I was really upset, still kind of am, but mostly at myself for not making sure they were going to get enough.

their incisions are beautiful, tiny and straight no exposed stitches, so it wasn't all bad, but it's awful to see your kids in pain and not know what to do for them.

Glad that everyone is recovering nicely and that you noticed one of the baby's needed more pain meds. I hate it when my pets are in discomfort.

how much metacam did your vet give them? was it once a day dosing? how were they right after the surgery?
my girls were in a lot of pain after their spay and i discovered too late that the vet way under dosed them for pain meds. I was really upset, still kind of am, but mostly at myself for not making sure they were going to get enough.

their incisions are beautiful, tiny and straight no exposed stitches, so it wasn't all bad, but it's awful to see your kids in pain and not know what to do for them.
They are on different doses, but Sonoma who weights 404 grams is on .27 twice a day for the first 3 days then it tapers down the next 5 days or so. I think they are on the metacam for 7 days.

They are on different doses, but Sonoma who weights 404 grams is on .27 twice a day for the first 3 days then it tapers down the next 5 days or so. I think they are on the metacam for 7 days.

thank you so much for this, do you know if it's the 1.5mgs/mL or the .5mg/mL concentration?

I still haven't spoken to the vet about how much pain my girls were in, I called last week and got a tech who was very rude to me and I just haven't been up to dealing with them

Metacam is 1.5 mg/ml

wow
my vet gave me that same concentration, but the pre filled syringes each only had 0.05ccs in them
I got 5 syringes for each girl (one weighs 340 and the other weighs 370, I think?) and was told to give them the first dose at 1pm the day after their surgery (they said they got their first dose at 1pm the day of the surgery)
By that night, both girls were writhing in agony, doing owie stretches, sucking in their sides etc
One of them looked like she was terrified, and I was afraid she might go into shock from the pain.
the meds had no info on them, what the concentration was nor even what it was, so I was scared about giving them more but did anyway, I couldn't stand seeing them that way.

I am trying to find some more or less "official" guideline on pain meds after major surgery for rats to give to my vet so this never happens again.

it was just awful.

Glad to hear the girls are doing good!

Oh Petunia, that sounds horrible. ):
I looked it over, and your vet was dosing them at .2 mg/kg (I believe this is the very lowest dose listed on RatGuide, with 2mg/kg being the highest)
Dspch's girls were getting 1 mg/kg, which ~seems~ to be the after surgery standard (just based on me reading some other posts, forums, etc).
I'm sorry you had to go through that. ):

wow
my vet gave me that same concentration, but the pre filled syringes each only had 0.05ccs in them
I got 5 syringes for each girl (one weighs 340 and the other weighs 370, I think?) and was told to give them the first dose at 1pm the day after their surgery (they said they got their first dose at 1pm the day of the surgery)
By that night, both girls were writhing in agony, doing owie stretches, sucking in their sides etc
One of them looked like she was terrified, and I was afraid she might go into shock from the pain.
the meds had no info on them, what the concentration was nor even what it was, so I was scared about giving them more but did anyway, I couldn't stand seeing them that way.

I am trying to find some more or less "official" guideline on pain meds after major surgery for rats to give to my vet so this never happens again.

it was just awful.

That is awful... I know a lot of people on here have bad things to say about buprenorphine, but we have not had a problem with it as a pain killer. We allow them to give them an injection after surgery (to avoid owie stretches), but they cannot use it during surgery. We also do not get prefilled syringes - we get a bottle. In fact, I think we have three right now. (we always have someone needing it) If they still seem in pain we can add tramadol to the metacam.

Sonoma is getting .27 ml twice a day for 3 days, then once a day for 3-4 days
Bristol is getting .25 ml (same way)
Eldora is getting .20 ml (same way)

Last edited:
Girls had their post op appointment today and have been given the all clear to meet the boys!!! Daddy is demanding supervised dates - no touching below the waist, no kissing, no aggressive grooming, maybe hand holding :laugh4:

Tucker meet the ladies last night and he seems to have taken a liking to Eldora although she isn't to sure about him. He made a mounting type movement toward Sonoma and she shoot him down so he spent some time flipping her. He was very gentle with them. Bristol is a squeeker whenever he came near or touched her she squeeked. We will try again today.

Back