Velo's Intro Thread [Advice pls?]

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you, I'm fighting some cold like the rest of my company. ):

Ah okay. I did separate him immediately when I saw it, instinct dictated it was a no-go. Especially because Theia couldn't really submit where she was even if she wanted to.
Haha yes I think Theia keeps him in check! She is constantly following him around with her head up his butt. :D
I think he is much more calm with Rizzy now too.
Pretty good stuff overall, I'm happy Theia is helping him along. Peggy does have the best ideas, they went nutters over the box. So easy to control what happens too.

Excellent, really? It's not too big a deal that he's attached to me and ignores them a lot? I'm glad to hear it though!

Familiar ground is the ratroom, a small bedroom. It has the cage in it and a LOT of stuff scattered about. Tons and tons of hide boxes, igloo, alligator hidey house, random cat toys, snack shack, 3 tunnels, one of those playpens with the balls in it for ferrets, disk wheel which they don't use... and a "couch" (one of those folding mats) that has an area behind it with scraps of fabric and the cat scratch post... I also keep treats and the two carriers in there, since they like to play in the carriers (always found it ironic that when they get out of cage time they choose to go in a cage XD). So familiar ground has a LOT going on!
Rocky does play in there somewhat, mostly on the couch though. But he is definitely familiar with the area.

I'd be scared to put them all in the same carrier! I have the cat carrier for the girls which is small and then Rocky's carrier is a small cage. And I thought intros at this stage + cage made for bad times?

Maybe bring some thing(s) from familiar into the bathroom?

At this point, I think it's ok that Rocky is ignoring them in favour of you. And if you want to sit down and let them climb all over you, I think that would be ok now.
That room is pretty big and lots of stuff so I agree, bringing more things from the rat room into the bathroom is the way to go for now.

Alrighty, I will grab a thing or two from in there tonight. I'm hoping to do one tonight, tomorrow morning and tomorrow evening. I'm excited to see if he will be less wrappy again. c:

I learned from Jo :) SHe spent months with me and those demon boys of mine. I had to tweak some of it because of how many rats I intro at once around here so we have to know exactly who is biting and so much easier with these boxes, they feel secure and we can see what is happening. Jo has always been my go to for intros. She is much better at describing them where I know what to look for and ways to avoid it or change it.

I was liking how theia was being, He has a thing for bossy girls. but another thing, the girls he lived with here was all intact and these 3 are all spayed... Do you think the difference in smell from a intact to spayed girl is something he is being confused by?

I was liking how theia was being, He has a thing for bossy girls. but another thing, the girls he lived with here was all intact and these 3 are all spayed... Do you think the difference in smell from a intact to spayed girl is something he is being confused by?
I think he keeps waiting for one of them to go into heat. When I had intact boys introed to spayed girls, they always checked and it would stop after a couple of weeks of living together but once in awhile, I think they forgot and tried again. lol
And then you have the hussies like the girls my mom had. They were spayed but still presented themselves to the males. You can imagine how shocked we were. lol

Haha I do think he is a bit confused. Should figure it out soon though, it's been 14 consecutive days and I'm no expert but they would have gone into heat a few times by now, ya?

Oh you would liked Theia tonight too peggy, at one point she was seriously pushing him around and he just squeaked and accepted it haha!

Anyway!
Things went okay again tonight. I think I may have mistook wrapping when he was grooming.. I only think that cause it's Theia. Sometimes it's a really hard choice for me to make... plus I was at work way too long so a bit fried.

I tried the kitty post from the rat room but it felt like an accident was gonna happen because they were piling into the tight space made by the teepee shape of the center... idk opinions would be good, I'll put the video up tomorrow after I watch.

Overall nothing world changing or world ending! I do feel like he sought out the girls more, just gotta work on what he does when he interacts with them.

Yes I am a slow learner haha!

Only had time for one intro today but I feel it went really well. He actively seeked out the girls a few times and was generally well behaved. He was a bit bossy in the beginning, as the trend seems to be.

Things were switched up, I made the area smaller and blocked out the bathtub, lots of stuff to cuddle and play in/with.

I also noticed the girls flipping themselves onto their backs. Like he would come up to them, barely touch them and they would flop on their backs. Interesting development.

I'll get yesterday and today's videos up when I can, vacation seems more busy than work (go figure).

I'm gonna put up the videos of intros now so I don't forget. Haven't had a chance to review them and make my notes yet though.

Tuesday night:
http://youtu.be/ymAcSs-I-uI
This might be ungodly boring to watch.

Wednesday night:
http://youtu.be/YKJRte8W0KY
First vid, like 3 mins long. You can see a back flip in it. I do drop the f bomb pretty loud in the first minute though so heh sorry. X3
http://youtu.be/9I-tcf5fums
Rest of the intro.

Today's intro:
http://youtu.be/Rz3zVOj9d5s

I feel like things went really well today. He did get Pika on her back once, was still being a bit jerk-y to Rizzy though. Otherwise they all seemed to be having fun and he seemed like he was part of the group. :)

I agree with you. He definitely is not giving off the "I want to kill you" vibe at all. And I feel like we are not progressing. He seems to think that he needs to flip them or wrap them or avoid them.
Would you be willing to let him do the flip and let him do the wrap and see where that goes. Like you said, it almost seems like the girls want it, they are willing flippers. lol
The pinner usually will kind of pat the belly and do like a digging motion, I believe they can spread their scent that way. I'm wondering if once he claims them all, he will be a happier boy.
The last video is pretty good.
Next video, grab a good book, read your book and ignore the rats. Try it. :)

I am really nervous to do that. Not cause I think he'll hurt them intentionally, but he may very well do it accidentally.
I'll give it a go though. How many times should he want to pin/flip them before he's satisfied?

He shouldn't do it too often... check the girls' stress level and judge accordingly if you should stop it or not. But from what I've seen, it seems very innocent and the girls don't seem to mind so much.

I'm in with them now. My recorder just ran out. I think they were all pretty uncomfortable. Maybe the girls were okay with it before because they knew I would stop him. He was very very persistent. He laid near them for a few minutes at the end but I'm not sure allowing it did much for him.

Yes kept wrapping repeatedly and I let him. It was my intention to fully let him do what he needed and not interfere... There were no flips, willing or not. I was talking to him while he was doing it "No rocky come on stop it she's saying no" kinda stuff. The videos are a bit crap though. He and Pika rat balled and he and Rizzy did an intense nose off. He was pretty chill with Theia, but not like cuddling or anything. He lets her boss him about.

I noticed he was grabbing up Pikas fur repeatedly with his mouth during a wrap. Not really grooming as he wasn't licking.
After some intense intetactions, Rizzy and Pika both took to squeaking loudly and running away when he approached.

He took full advantage of me not stopping him to terrorize them. I hate to use that word but he refused to let up.
I will have to figure out more things that are fun that aren't too enclosed I have some ideas though.

Back