Velo's Intro Thread [Advice pls?]

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think he needs therapy and a Xanax :) Stll kills me that this boy is being this naughty. He was fine with the girls here, but I guess they were spunky as he was so it was an even match. I intro'd patches to Ruby, their sister and it is difficult, she is not very willing to cuddle or be friends. She kicks him constantly when he gets near her, but they are doing better, they avoided everyone for a long time but they are doing better now.

I will have to link you my thread with my first intros that jo had to help me with. I giggle at this wonderng if it will reach the page numbers taht one did.

Well let's hope we don't have the same page count!! I think things are improving, not staying the same or getting worse. So I'll take that. They did really good at times last night it was just turbulent for me lol!
He did really good with them on my lap and they were all close together at the end (of course when the camera was not rolling). He did get off of me to go see a girl (can't remember who right now) which means a big deal haha. I still have to edit the videos they are like too hectic.

Peggy, I still don't know what went wrong there. Lol!!
'

'Templeton hated hairless rats. I am telling you. He totally was fine with all other rats but every single time I tried a hairless it was the chase the rat and bite the crap out of him. He did that to every single one I tried. Looking back we know why it didnt work after his neuter since he was only partial neutered :)

Just finished tonight's intro. (Last night's are still being edited haha).
He was wrapping in the beginning a lot again, hopefully got some better footage I'm not sure yet though. I forgot to put the house in until the 20 minute mark but everyone seemed to enjoy it being there.

Lol ruby that's so funny
They are some wild girlies from that litter

One of the new girls, will be just like them. The baby girl is so spunky she is fighting with her sister already at 5 weeks :) I am in trouble with this one.

They will be together but I suspect he will always rule with an iron fist :) some boys are that way.

Aww! I love crazy hyper girls. Pika kicked Rocky tonight and it made me laugh. XD

I just watched the videos from tonight real quick, the 2 times I tried to get thorough close ups of the wrap didn't turn out well. Oh well.
I think they will get together when rocky lightens up!

Alrighty, Friday intros, handheld view first and ground view second. They don't match up hardly at all timewise. I would watch them separately, they are very hard to match up times. The handheld starts about halfway through the ground and the ground ends about halfway through the handheld so yup. The handheld shows more if you wanna skip ground view.
http://youtu.be/sEkmICoiUyg
http://youtu.be/k9cqcdzwbuo

I feel good about a lot of things.. But the wrapping is driving me nuts.
Hey Peggy, did Rocky ever do this to his old cagemates?
You can see wrapping in the first video (http://youtu.be/E3obrSd0_cs) at 7:24 and a few seconds after. My video from today shows some too but those are still uploading.

They are all uncomfortable. I think I would try to make it more fun. Rocky is trying to climb your leg he is more comfortable with you. The girls just dont look comfortable either. Personally I would try a cat toy something they can chase and play with or some bubbles.(the feather ones on a stick that has a string you can drag around) Maybe some cheerios in a tp roll? Something they can do together? The girls are tense as soon as he comes near them which I am sure because of that vibe he is sending off. You can tell he is sendign off some bad mojo :) He looks like he is putting his teeth on them waiting for them to mess up so he can bite. If the girls would submit he would probably stop but none of them look like they are willing to give into him. I almost wonder if maybe you stood out of the area for intros if that would help. He needs to learn to go to them for comfort. Jo?

I can tell you all of the sisters squeak like that! Ruby still does it to patches but luckily he is mean to boys but much better with girls so I have been lettng them adjust to it and each other but I still have them down near us so we can watch them closely. He comes near her, she squeaks LOL It must be in the genes.

Rocky was not this hard to intro, he would pin the girls and htey would go on about their day. They would go on their back to him, in the rat world that is like saying "Uncle" when someone does that hand squeeze to you. He was even pinned by them as well. He lived with 4 girls and not one had a scratch or bite mark ever, i had them in the play pen for a while, a cage down here then upstairs. That is what I dont understand. but he has been given up a lot. So i am sure it has effected him in some ways. He would chase them when they were in heat, just cruella but it never went far, even after he was gone and came back i put them down here to watch them and they didnt make much noise at all.

The girls like the chase sticks, I have one that isn't totally slaughtered. And they will dig treats out of rolls. Rocky might try but not exactly his cup of tea LOL
I think the hidey house helped, you can check out these newest videos. I put the house in at the 24 minute mark.

The problem is I really can't stand out of the area. The most I could do is stand in the bathtub. Rocky could jump in the tub if he wanted to. I have nowhere else we can do intros. My bed is on the ground so it isn't tall enough, and the girls would definitely jump off my kitchen table and couches.

Well it's good to know the intros before weren't the same at least. I know he's been moved around a lot, maybe it will just take a lot of intros before he gets that things are not going to change again. ):
The wrapping is so confusing though. How can a girl be pinned or roll over if he does the wrap? It seems to totally erase the possibility for a girl to properly submit... This is also why I can't really be -out- of intros, I don't think it's safe to let the wraps continue, I agree he is poising for biting or scratching. He -digs- his paws into them when he does it.

Anyways, here is Saturday (last nights) intro. Handheld first, ground second. Handheld starts at around 40 seconds of ground, ground goes a few mins longer.

http://youtu.be/jQ2HSC0Un78
http://youtu.be/JUaGn9I5JnM

I would tell rocky no, when he is on those girls that way. Toby would bit things through the bars and I told him no when he would do it and he stopped. Redirecting is great but I think rocky is smart enough to associate no with the bad act along with be rewarded for not doing it when he gets near them.

He doesn't get off of them unless I move him. I've tried no and stuff like clapping and snapping and squirting him with the water bottle (all from previous intros before I started recording)

but when you pick him up and move him a firm no may help. He is being such a bugger. I know jorats will be chiming in, she was watching the videos earler but I am sure those 8 wee ones may have pulled her in with her cuteness LOL

Oh I do say no when I move him. I say "No No No No No!" and wag my finger disapprovingly LOL
I might not have in the first video but I've been pretty consistent with No ^_^

I had a genuine laugh out loud. In a whisper I hear: "what the f I'm... I know it's stressful especially all those damn wraps at the beginning and yes, he's placing his teeth on her. So we will be doing intros for quite some time until he no longer does the wraps.
What he was doing with Theia, the mutual butt sniffing, that's good. Theia is bossing him, which is good. He needs that. And then I saw the Theia wrap escalate and I realize what he wants. He wants them on their backs so he can pin them which is common for rats to do but I don't like that he uses his teeth so still stop that.
We are going to try a new method of stopping him. When he's about to wrap, put your hand up, next to the girl and make it like a wall and shuffle Rocky off to the side. Don't pick him up anymore, just make a wall with your hand and sweep him away with the NO.

Another thing I would do with my bossy males and you might think I'm nuts but it seemed to help. I would put my mouth on the neck, doing exactly what he does to the girls. My breath on his neck with positive energy. I realize, that might be hard to do on the bathroom floor though. Maybe do that when it's one on one.
I think Theia really likes him...either that of she's your mom of the group. Sometimes the quiet ones are the one who emerges and settles everyone down.
When they are all together in the corner, huddled, noses in butts. That's good.
Rizzy going after Pika, that's play. That's good
And that part when Rizzy squeaked, he was about to go to her and then she squeaked and he listened to her. That's awesome.
BTW, the handheld is perfect. I see everything. You don't need the other one.
At 19min. Pika looks happy, quick groom, while on you, sniffing the boy. She's liking him. She's not scared there but doesn't want him making moves.
All those squeaks are small protests. I wouldn't worry about those at all.
Yes, all of them crawling on you is good.
Near the 22min mark, I'm really liking what Theia is doing. She's bossing him. And that's exactly what Rocky needs.
Also, all the tail stuff, he's just sniffing them. If he was biting, you would see a tug when the girl moves her tail and you don't. He's sniffing.

Like Peggy said, maybe try a feather for them to chase, maybe put some cherrios in a bunch of fleece and let them find it. Things like that.
Or even, put your fingers on the floor and tap/rap the floor, like playing piano real fast on the floor, some rats get excited with that.

Overall, it was a rough beginning but the ending was great.

Oh I do say no when I move him. I say "No No No No No!" and wag my finger disapprovingly LOL
I might not have in the first video but I've been pretty consistent with No ^_^
But you have such a cute voice that you need to make the no's more of mom voice :):ilike: that is my new favorite face! CHeck it out! How cute is that?

Back