Velo's Intro Thread [Advice pls?]

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't really want to put them in the playpen again, Rocky didn't seem to like it last time (which was when he ripped Rizzy's fur out after being in it for 2 minutes) and it really is a very small space. It wouldn't be familiar to him either, the girls spend like 3 hours in it every Saturday during cage cleaning but he doesn't go in it. You can't fit much in it at all so there are like no distractions.

Personally, I'm not fond of playpen intros unless the rats are really good together. Peggy, I have no idea why yours work so well. I'm thinking it's because of all the rat smells. You have so many that come and go, your rats don't know what's what so the playpen intros work well.

Your rat room, is great. Remove those carriers and you can start doing it there. A good time to do that would be right after the one day of missed intro. If that's possible. So it's like they won't know what hit them. A change in routine can be hard on some pets or it can be exciting.

So tomorrow night (they'll be missing an intro tonight) I will try out the rat room intro. I'm excited to see how it goes and hopeful it goes well. I know they all really enjoy the room so hopefully the will enjoy it together. I think my iPad can record videos, I should be able to prop it up somewhere so I can get some kind of record of how it goes.

Peggy also has the playpen that's twice as big as mine, that one is much more spacious. :nod:

It's a perfect spot for them to hang out while I clean the cage, totally worth the 100$, but I can't imagine it being any good for "playing" with how small it is. The big ones are really nice but I have no room as is hehe.

Oh yes, it's perfect for a hang out. But the big one, it's got so much diagonal space, lots of room to run away. My sister loved her small martin's playpen.

It dont always work for us but the rats from uostairs are sheltered from the dogs and kittens so for them it is super scary. Some we have to do in the couch for a while first then I put them in the playpen and they stay as long as they do not fight. They never split up in there it is alwAys one big rat pile in the litter box because that is usually all they have at first. It works more than it doesnt here and it allows us to keep a close eye on them.

I dont have a table anymore so it is lose them in the couch, on the floor or where ever else they manage to fly off to. So the playpen works here but with Cooper and his attitude self, it did not. I dont use it for the mean boys they never seem to play right with others in there but most of my groups are just bratty girls and boys who generally get along with anyone. But yet it worked with rocky and the 4 demon girls.

Rocky is a free soul now no more walls for him lol !! and hopefully the rat room will work with Rocky and the 3 Munchkiteers. Got it all set up tonight so that I can micromanage and not trip and fall (as long as I don't slip on the pvc tube eheh)

Rocky is a free soul now no more walls for him lol !! and hopefully the rat room will work with Rocky and the 3 Munchkiteers. Got it all set up tonight so that I can micromanage and not trip and fall (as long as I don't slip on the pvc tube eheh)

We have already done no balls for him so I guess walls is the closest thing left? LOL :ilike::ilike::ilike:

Haha yeah well the mental balls stick but usually it goes away ones the devil beads are away. He is just a goofy cookie because it makes no sense why he is like this. I cant wait to see the post on it tomorrow, i am headed to bed soon :)

Devil beads!! Ha!!
Yes he is my precious little anomaly. :p

So things started off a bit rocky (pun intended haha) but got good! Nothing ground breaking really... although he was popcorning multiple times!

I have a 65 minute video so it was long too! I had to end because Pika really wanted to go home. But overall he did good, not much by way of wrapping or bully behavior, he was a bit of a jerk in the beginning but he stopped. He did ignore them quite a bit but also stopped to say hi to each girl.

The girls were more than happy to be out and share their space with him (he plays here too but this is really truly their area) so no defensive attitude from anyone.

No real cuddling or serious bonding still but no injuries or anything either!

The video will probably take a while but I'm pretty pleased right now! :3

Well I just about passed out from the stress in the first 5 minutes but I think that was the worst part of it hehe!

But they made it over an hour without injuries or anything so that's awesome!!

Back