Sheldon's furbabies

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, I hate when they peep during the injection. I always feel so mean and with the PT boys I'm always afraid they are just going to association their last days of me with pain.... Duh, I forgot its SQ, just kept picturing you trying to find little rattie veins :emb:

I hope she gets better and its nothing serious.

Me too but I fear it is PT. I think I will give her some Predsisone or Dexamethasone tonight. How soon would I see a difference in her after steroids? I have some Bromo too and can start her on that if necessary.

Me too but I fear it is PT. I think I will give her some Predsisone or Dexamethasone tonight. How soon would I see a difference in her after steroids? I have some Bromo too and can start her on that if necessary.

You CANNOT give pred or dex for 72 hours since you gave metacam as it can cause a bleeding ulcer/internal bleeding. You can start the bromo though and if you do think its PT the sooner the better. Response all depends on the rat and how soon you start it. Dex is used to boost the bromo.

It has been 48 hrs since I gave the meloxicam. I only gave it once and it was a half dose. I think the benefits outweigh the risks. If she is still refusing to drink tonight it could be because her ICP is too high. In that case, a bit of steroid could literally be the difference between life and death. Increased ICP could cause seizures and other neurological damage if left unchecked.

If you have injectable Dex, I believe you should see some improvement within hours. Orally it takes longer. I get the impression Dex is better in a crisis and Pred is good for maintenance.

I will give subQ Dex as soon as I get home. I will start Bromo now as well, and I will add in Prednisone in a few days. Thanks everyone...I really think this might be PT but I have never seen it before so I am just going by all of the articles and threads I have read from other people. Her behavior seems to match early onset PT as described by those resources.

I got home and found her in a bad state. Giving more boluses tonight and an injection of dex. If she makes it I will start Bromo tomorrow morning.

http://youtu.be/VGnl2DV6mx8

This was right after the bolus and dex were given. Her turgor is not great, she still has very dry skin and oral mucosa, and her level of consciousness is altered. She is not right. Please say a prayer for her. I am barely holding it together watching her go through this.

It appears she has drank maybe 3ml all day, eaten about 10ml of baby food, and pooped only once. Can't really tell on the pee.

I've never had such a rapid onset or failure to drink like that. It just doesn't seem like a PT. Perhaps she has another type of brain tumor. :(

I don't have any wise words, because I don't know any. But she seems she is very comforted by your presence. I will be thinking of both of you tonight. Hang in there sweethearts, sending all the love and hope to you both! <3

Well it looks like the dex injection did the trick. By early this morning she was drinking again, her eyes aren't pinched and she is moving around at 90% her usual. Does that mean it is almost certainly PT?

Glad to have my baby back. :)

Its usually the bromo or cabergoline that does the job and the dex just jumps starts it if I understand correctly. My boys were rapid onsets and just stopped drinking from the water bottle - we had to put in bowls or syringe feed the liquid to them along with SQ. We gave 3 feedings a day when they were in the bad stages of PT. Have you tried bowls of coconut water, etc for her? Weight loss with PT is a major concern - We mix together a box of baby rice cereal, 12 scoops of soy formula, 1 cup ground oxbow and put it in an air tight container then mix with ensure, water, whatever when needed. You will need to have her on antibiotics since the steroids will lower her immune system. PT is just a vicious cycle - I had a daddy and two of his son with it.

:tumkiss: Best wishes Sheldon!!!!!

That's great she responded so well to the Dex. The steroid reduces inflammation, so I don't think it confirms a PT specifically, but you can't go wrong by treating her for it in case it is.

Joanne is right, with out going back over your thread did you mention if she is using her paws? I had a boy with kidney disease and the symptoms were quite similar to PT - he would perk up with the pred and SQ fluids. Is she doing any circuling?

No, her paws seem to be fine. However, she is very slow and deliberate when moving around (due to lack of coordination I think) and she has that wide stance. Also, she was head pressing yesterday.

No, her paws seem to be fine. However, she is very slow and deliberate when moving around (due to lack of coordination I think) and she has that wide stance. Also, she was head pressing yesterday.

Hmmm, perhaps its not PT as Joanne said. What about ear infection? That would throw off her balance, but the dehydration???

Well if anyone was going to give us a stumper it would be her. I love my little weirdo...

You should PM, Aida some how she got her PT girl to survive a year or so.. amazing... Praying its something simply and curable for sweet Sheldon..

Back