Sheldon's furbabies

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is Sheldon doing? Our Axe is losing weight fast, we can feel his bones (he has heart issue), but he is so active still. Started grinding oxbow today and mixing it with baby cereal, powdered soy baby formula, and ensure.

PT is just so terrible to watch take hold of our babies. I hope the syringe feeding help. How long has she been on the bromo? Took a week for it to work on Kona, but Kona was more advanced than Sheldon when we started it. :love6:

*hugs* fight the good fight. Thinking about you two tonight and send in good vibes!!

I am sorry Sheldon. :(

I will be sending healing vibes to your sweetie as well and thinking of you guys. Hang in there, little girl and start getting chubby. :cuddle:

She is taking the feedings pretty well. She fusses and fights at first but finally gives in. I have been giving her 5ml at a time because she is quite small. She too is very energetic, but she just looks like a little skeleton running around. :(
She has been on Bromo and dex for about 1.5 weeks.

Last edited:
I put some grapeseed oil in the mix because she loves it. I can't get her to eat anything willingly tonight. I have tried all kinds of things, some of them not even healthy so you'd think she'd go for it. I've tried yogies, hersheys white chocolate, broccoli, refried beans, and the mix. I tried to lick mostly high fat stuff because I'm trying desperately to get some calories in!!

I'm sorry she is not wanting her food. I did get to the point with my boy Hotch that he refused to be syringe fed any more, and once he stopped eating I said goodbye as I didn't want him to starve to death. He was too healthy to die quickly if that makes sense. Different PTs respond differently - some are great with the meds, and others don't seem to respond much at all...
I'm sorry you are going through this with your baby. :hugs:

I feel like a bee-eye-tee-see-Aach. I just put her in a hospital cage alone so I can monitor her intake. I counted out exactly how many oxbow triangles in the bowl. She has just been so active and really her usual self. She is burning up what little calories she consumes. She is so skinny I'm afraid to weigh her. I can see the definition of the two tendons at the base of her tail.

She is down to 260grams. Her weight loss has slowed, but is continuing. I had to remove all of the fun games from the cage because she can't stop. I did find that she loves some pork leaf fat in with her oxbow mush and she is willingly eating it again. She sleeps way less than normal in addition to the appetite and actively level changes. I was not going to take pictures because I don't want to remember her that way years from now when I look back. I took some though, so that if you have any further advice you might be stirred to share. I'll give some before and after pics.

Before-she fluctuated around 365g.

The infamous cake picture. Taken on September 1st.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415846911.835266.jpg

At the beginning of this whole ordeal-only 2 weeks ago.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415846928.051581.jpg

And now. These were taken tonight. She has lost almost 30% of her body weight.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415846941.083419.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415846950.018337.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415846959.956391.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415846968.540391.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415846976.640747.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415846984.601906.jpg

Oh Sheldon...poor nakie babe!
Its so hard with their little lives!
You are fighting so hard for her...and no matter what you know you tried everything possible to do whats right for her!!
My nakie boys thinks she's still looking pretty! Krieger licked her on the screen :);)

She really doesn't look that bad. Keep doing what your doing my PT boys lost 300-400 grams in a matter of weeks - they were around the 700 grams + though...

Hang in there Sheldon :flower:

Once Finn's kidney issue started I never saw him drink on his own after that. He only had times of improvement when on pred. He lost weight really fast too and at first I was told it looked like PT. He was my first rat to get sick. He also did a lot of circling, needed feedings, and SQ fluids. He has a thread on this site. He was diagnosised with a urine test

Not going to go into details but went to the vet and we couldn't find anything but she noticed Sheldon squinting a little in her left eye. She had been doing that the whole time but I had thought nothing of it. So she prescribed some tobramycin drops just in case. 2 days later and I wake up to this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416175849.557614.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416175858.307953.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416175866.861776.jpg

Excuse the language, but WTH?!

Back