Peanut's eye thread - Possibly NOT the end!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine just became drugged out zombies that chewed on anything their teeth got onto...

Feb2514Adiraandpicapostsurgery.jpg~original

I thought pica describes both - it's the eating if non nutritional substances in reaction to nausea in animals that cannot vomit.

Exactly this. It's all they can do because they cannot vomit but the reason they do it is nausea. That drug causes really bad nausea and that's why they do it. Poor babies...that has to be miserable.

Exactly this. It's all they can do because they cannot vomit but the reason they do it is nausea. That drug causes really bad nausea and that's why they do it. Poor babies...that has to be miserable.

I think it is more than that. I had them act like they have literally lost thier mind. Buprenophine was used in children from what I understand and they stopped using it because it cause hallucations in them. It does far more to these rats than just make them sick to their stomach. I had PICA hit us and I swear it looked like they were on Bath salt.

I think it is more than that. I had them act like they have literally lost thier mind. Buprenophine was used in children from what I understand and they stopped using it because it cause hallucations in them. It does far more to these rats than just make them sick to their stomach. I had PICA hit us and I swear it looked like they were on Bath salt.

While there is absolutely nothing funny about this topic, the idea of ratties on bath salts made me choke on my coffee. What a comparison!

But we are threadjacking just a tad now.

How is Peanut looking this morning?

Ohh that's what it is I guess it's sort of like when feeling like that chewing on him or sucking on a mint helps me from feeling I'll don't know why? But it always did

Peanut is just laying around... he removed two stitches. Well, one he just untied so I pulled it out. There is no bleeding or anything and its still holding together. He now has stitch, no stitch, stitch, no stitch, stitch - at least he's consistent. Mentioned his pica to the vet and she said that is from being in pain and not from the medication. He has never seemed to be in pain to me.

Did they glue and stitch it together?

Not to my knowledge. She put some kind of foam (cannot remember what she called it) in the eye because it was bleeding a bit so she thinks that has stuck to the skin and is holding it together. Hubby will take him in tomorrow with Axe for her to look at it and see if she wants to replace the stitches, but I don't see a reason to.

Peanut is just laying around... he removed two stitches. Well, one he just untied so I pulled it out. There is no bleeding or anything and its still holding together. He now has stitch, no stitch, stitch, no stitch, stitch - at least he's consistent. Mentioned his pica to the vet and she said that is from being in pain and not from the medication. He has never seemed to be in pain to me.

The following link is just one of the many studies on pica and nausea in rats: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8415820

Maybe your vet could read through it?

That's always a good sign.

It seems to be his thing now, he peed on me again when I gave him his nightly meds - and his pee stinks - not UTI stink, but bad stink, I hope its just from the antibiotics. Went to check on him this morning and he pulled all the fleece, not just the fleeces pieces, the entire fleece bottom (small pan cover) into the plastic hut to block the door. Oh my silly Peanut!! :nahnah: Try and get me now mom .... :nahnah:

Peanut is down to 950 grams, but the eye or where the eye used to be, looks good according to the vet. His appetite is probably down do to the pain meds.

Peanut is down to 950 grams, but the eye or where the eye used to be, looks good according to the vet. His appetite is probably down do to the pain meds.

Soft foods don't forget, but these enuc rats heal really fast once the swelling goes down. He's going to be a very happy boy soon :D

And at that weight I would think a little lost grammage can only be a good thing ;)

Soft foods don't forget, but these enuc rats heal really fast once the swelling goes down. He's going to be a very happy boy soon :D

And at that weight I would think a little lost grammage can only be a good thing ;)

He asked for a little lipo or tummy tuck, but they didn't give him one. He has oxbow and baby food. I was just told he's eating corn.

Back