Peanut's eye thread - Possibly NOT the end!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poor boy. Always better safe than sorry if you're worried it's infection, so s good thing you got him in. Fingers crossed the antibiotic shot helps to clear things up. Hope the e collar doesn't make him too pitiful....

Glad you took him in then. Did they have to remove the packing too?

Yes everything had to be taken out. Apparently he lacerated the "eye" area too with his darn nails.. I have no idea how he got them in there, but there apparently was a nasty lac in the area. Now he has to where the collar for a week! He can barely move in it, but they don't want him to be able to get his paws anywhere near it. We are spoon feeding him... He's so pathetic..

Oh no, poor Peanut! I feel for him...I know he must be thinking, "Great...now I have to wear this dang collar and boy am I cranky about my rotten luck this week!"

My poor sweet Peanut boy. He will get better now that he can't reach his eye socket...I know he must hate all this stuff he is going through. Hang in there Peanut, it will be over soon!

Achilles sends his love to his brother-in-food and says he would mail Peanut a get-well soon cake if he could. Stay strong Peanut, we loves you!

Yes everything had to be taken out. Apparently he lacerated the "eye" area too with his darn nails.. I have no idea how he got them in there, but there apparently was a nasty lac in the area. Now he has to where the collar for a week! He can barely move in it, but they don't want him to be able to get his paws anywhere near it. We are spoon feeding him... He's so pathetic..

If he had infection, the natural thing for a rat to do is try to remove it, by any means possible. I doubt he'll have to wear the collar for a week, just watch the healing. Did they use glue this time? Did they remove the foam now? He likely still had some bacteria left in his eye causing the underlying infection, or his body was attempting to get rid of the foam as an unnatural body, just like an abscess forms around a retained stitch.

Last edited:
There is nothing there but a big gapping hole. I can see about half an inch into his head - not exaggerating!! I will get a picture today if he cooperates. He is trying all he can to get it off. I scratched him and cleaned him up yesterday since he cannot do it. I think I might of pushed his winky out too far (is that possible) since it was hard to get the whole thing back in. I know, mom sucks! Bringing home ky today just incase the tiny tip is still protuding, like he needs another problem. I think I will try and take it off when I get home from work and hopefully he will eat something and NOT mess with the hole....

There is nothing there but a big gapping hole. I can see about half an inch into his head - not exaggerating!! I will get a picture today if he cooperates. He is trying all he can to get it off. I scratched him and cleaned him up yesterday since he cannot do it. I think I might of pushed his winky out too far (is that possible) since it was hard to get the whole thing back in. I know, mom sucks! Bringing home ky today just incase the tiny tip is still protuding, like he needs another problem. I think I will try and take it off when I get home from work and hopefully he will eat something and NOT mess with the hole....

Poor baby :(
When Lucky passed after his second operation, before burial I removed the antiseptic gauze from his eye (wasn't sure if it was biodegradeable so figured better to remove) and there was a big empty socket. Very unsettling, although the more I looked at it, the less squeamish I felt about it.

Poor Peanut. :(

I agree, Dspch...giving him some supervised "cone off" time so the poor guy can get a break sounds like a marvelous idea and I am sure Peanut would be very happy for a break. I really feel for him. Keep your spirits up Peanut, we are thinking about you. :kisskiss:

Now you get to watch the incredible rat healing powers. Juicy inner eye cavity is good. Since the cavity is a lot deeper than Eli's it will take longer but maybe this will give you more hope?

Eli - 06/15 - 9 am

Eliscabalmostoffjun14eve.jpg

Eli - 06/15 - 9:30 pm

Elisscabisoffjun15.jpg

I tried to post yesterday with pictures, but my internet service stinks! Anyway, he enjoyed his time out without the cone. He is very gentle when he rubs around the eye so I have to agree he was probably just trying to get the gunk out when he must of scratched it. It was a definite battle to get it back on him.... These really don't show the extent of the hole!

Here are some of the photos I was able to download.

Here are the other pictures from yesterday

This is the "pen/cage" I have made for him to live in for now since I couldn't stand to see him banging around with that cone on his head. Plus he loves to hide in things and I couldn't find anything he could fit in so he now has something to go into.

Dspch, wow, I love that playpen area you set up for Peanut! The poor guy has had such a hard time this week with his eye, the cone, all the crud he has been putting up with, and to see what a beautiful and accomodating area you set up for him just makes my heart melt. What a wonderful Mommy Peanut has!

That playpen area looks so perfect for him right now, with all those wide open spaces for him to move around in and cuddle boxes, the whole shebang. Simply wonderful for him. :love11:

It kind of reminds me of Achilles' situation since he has gotten so elderly and (yes, fat) and we finally moved him permanently into his "day play village" as there are no ramps and the spaces are much more wide open for him to waddle around comfortably in. I guess this would be his "retirement resort" of sorts. :) Now Peanut has a great ratty resort/compound to waddle around in too, while he has his cone. So nice. :)

I am sure Peanut LOVES his sessions with that darn cone off his neck too, the poor baby. Give him all my love and kisses as usual! Hang in there Peanut! :getwell:

Back