Peanut's eye thread - Possibly NOT the end!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peanut is out of surgery and awake. The infection was just in the eye and she does believe she got it all. Apparently she has done this surgery before. Daddy is on his way now to get the big guy! He will be coming home with antibiotics, metacam, and tramadol. I hope he doesn't have one of those silly collars on.

YAY! No more yucky eye!:thewave:

Oh my - one of those collars w/b adorable. Well maybe not to Peanut - but to us ! LoL!

Last edited:
Can't wait til you get him home, then I can breathe again :D

Oh sorry, he's been home for a couple hours and he's eaten a little bit. Here's some photos...

Pre-surgery:

Post-surgery:

About 15 minutes ago: I think this is his version of "DO NOT DISTURB" Peanut is unavailable, go away....!

AS long as he's resting and not removing those stitches LOL

It looks good, and will heal very fast.

I was worried about him pulling them out too, but he just had his antibiotics and he had tramadol at 7pm. He is laying around right now and seems to be chewing the fleece. Yes, he had that medication - not during surgery, but after for pain.

My ratties that have had surgery had always come home chewing on their towels and fleece I think it's just something to comfort them? lol but I'm glad to see that he's finally on the good path :)

On the bright side it is impossible to chew those stitches out so he has that in his favor now as long as his claws stay away but I think they will be pretty claw safe. Poor boy. I cannot believe this has happened to him but I can say he couldnt be in a better home. I love seeing my adopters do so much for the babies they adopted from me. It makes my heart very happy. I did get your text today but it was insane at work but I did read them. both of you need a pat on the back for being perfect adopters for these sweet boys. Hugs to you and kisses to peanut when he comes out of seclusion. :)

My ratties that have had surgery had always come home chewing on their towels and fleece I think it's just something to comfort them? lol but I'm glad to see that he's finally on the good path :)

Pica is analogous to vomiting in those incapable of vomiting. That is why they frequently do it after anesthesia. They are nauseated.

Oh, so happy to see that Peanut is home and recovering, hurray!! :joy:

I am sure he is nice and comfy in his warm blankies and resting up from his big ordeal, yay again! His stitched eye socket area looks a million times better than his eye before, yes? I am sure it will heal very fast!

Dspch, you must be soooo relieved to have the surgery over with and Peanut back home with you...send him all my love, okay? Get well very soon Peanut, we love you! :cuddle:

Pica is analogous to vomiting in those incapable of vomiting. That is why they frequently do it after anesthesia. They are nauseated.

I thought pica was the ingesting of inedible items? And the buprenorphine injectable pain medication causes this effect in rats if used in high doses.

from: http://ratguide.com/meds/analgesics/buprenorphine_hydrochloride.php

Important note to veterinarians: It has been reported that rats may develop pica after receiving this drug.1,2,4
Be sure to instruct pet owners to monitor for this behavior if an opioid medication is given, and to contact vet immediately. Also have the pet owner remove the rat from any bedding source that might be chewed and ingested until medication has passed through the system. In severe cases it may be necessary to reduce or eliminate the drug from the rat

I thought pica was the ingesting of inedible items? And the buprenorphine injectable pain medication causes this effect in rats if used in high doses.

from: http://ratguide.com/meds/analgesics/buprenorphine_hydrochloride.php

Important note to veterinarians: It has been reported that rats may develop pica after receiving this drug.1,2,4

Be sure to instruct pet owners to monitor for this behavior if an opioid medication is given, and to contact vet immediately. Also have the pet owner remove the rat from any bedding source that might be chewed and ingested until medication has passed through the system. In severe cases it may be necessary to reduce or eliminate the drug from the rat

I thought pica describes both - it's the eating if non nutritional substances in reaction to nausea in animals that cannot vomit.

I thought pica describes both - it's the eating if non nutritional substances in reaction to nausea in animals that cannot vomit.

Exactly this. It's all they can do because they cannot vomit but the reason they do it is nausea. That drug causes really bad nausea and that's why they do it. Poor babies...that has to be miserable.

Exactly this. It's all they can do because they cannot vomit but the reason they do it is nausea. That drug causes really bad nausea and that's why they do it. Poor babies...that has to be miserable.

Back