*** DESPERATELY URGENT SITUATION ***

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just discovered what I believe is a boy in my group. (I check daily.) I was at the vet with one of the babies today and, as I suspected, they're 3-4 weeks. Can/should I separate them now? They're weaned.

Not yet. I wouldn't separate them until 5 weeks, and I have had a few that weren't separated until 6 weeks, and no one got preggo. I think the highest risk is with an adult male in the mix. Is there only one baby boy? He is going to need a buddy!

Joanne said:
Not yet. I wouldn't separate them until 5 weeks, and I have had a few that weren't separated until 6 weeks, and no one got preggo. I think the highest risk is with an adult male in the mix. Is there only one baby boy? He is going to need a buddy!

Thanks, Joanne. I though five weeks was when they were able to mate, but that they should be with their mother until six weeks so I wasn't sure. So far, from what I can tell, he is the only boy. I'll continue checking to be sure. I'll have to find a good home looking for a buddy for their boy(s) when he's ready to move on.

Awe sweet picture of momma! If we Can get a rat train to me or somewhere a little closer I would love to take in another boy for Tyrion and Little Boots!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

SterlingRats0408 said:
Awe sweet picture of momma! If we Can get a rat train to me or somewhere a little closer I would love to take in another boy for Tyrion and Little Boots!

He will definitely be needing a good home and some friends. Where do you live?

I received some good news and bad news his morning...

The good news is that OPRR has graciously found fosters for five girls so I'm trying to get them to Ottawa this week. If anyone is available to help with transport, please let me know.

The bad news is that the remaining 7 boys and 2 girls have been given until the end of the month to find homes so the shelter can start preparing the space for a kitty nursery. If anyone has any solutions, please let me know ASAP!!

There are a group of girls going to OPRR on Friday. How far from Ottawa are you? Maybe we can put out a request for transport from Ottawa.

Lol I'm at 9 in less then 2 months. Huge case Of GGMR especially after Sterling passed
I am on the foster list for the Sarnia HS. They get a few every month or so. Sometimes groups and they have no. Choice but to euth. them :( so now I have my doors open to them!

SterlingRats0408 said:
Lol I'm at 9 in less then 2 months. Huge case Of GGMR especially after Sterling passed
I am on the foster list for the Sarnia HS. They get a few every month or so. Sometimes groups and they have no. Choice but to euth. them :( so now I have my doors open to them!

That's incredibly sad. They're lucky to have you. Thanks so much for offering to take the boys from here on top of your brood. You obviously have a very compassionate heart.

My colleague came to me this morning (was working for another building yesterday) and she said she is still working up her boyfriend. No guarantee there, but still I am reasonably hopeful. Her babies have now tripled in size, I know she is very tempted to get new ones... :cheeky:

Back