*** DESPERATELY URGENT SITUATION ***

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She likely has mites. You should treat them all plus your own rats. She'll start taking better care of herself once she gets used to the idea that her environment is clean and grooming is not pointless. Give her a few weeks to adjust.

Nuts and seeds are fine for rats but they really don't need that many (even at this age), especially if they're getting a staple diet like Oxbow. It's better to emphasize fruits and veggies more when you're giving extras.

victoria said:
She likely has mites. You should treat them all plus your own rats. She'll start taking better care of herself once she gets used to the idea that her environment is clean and grooming is not pointless. Give her a few weeks to adjust.

Nuts and seeds are fine for rats but they really don't need that many (even at this age), especially if they're getting a staple diet like Oxbow. It's better to emphasize fruits and veggies more when you're giving extras.

Aside from the mites, no cause for concern yet then? Just need to get some nutrition into her?

Carolyn said:
Aside from the mites, no cause for concern yet then? Just need to get some nutrition into her?
Once momma realizes that the food will always be there, and she has had a full belly for a while and has calmed down, she should start to look and feel a lot better. :)
You are feeding them 'free choice', right? Always keeping the food bowl full?

I wouldn't be too worried if she's not showing signs of illness - lethargy, discharge, pain, etc. Mites is a pretty big concern when they're in conditions like those, they thrive when the rats are compromised and make the rats even more compromised. They'll have trouble gaining weight and fighting off infection.

Joanne said:
Carolyn said:
Once momma realizes that the food will always be there, and she has had a full belly for a while and has calmed down, she should start to look and feel a lot better. :)
You are feeding them 'free choice', right? Always keeping the food bowl full?

Yes, full bowl and full tummies all the time.

I spoke to a coworker who also have rats :D as I knew she wanted to add some babies to her colony and told me she decided to start rescuing following some discussions that we had. She will be discussing with her BF - hopefully two baby boys will find a new home! ((fingers crossed))

Unepuce said:
I spoke to a coworker who also have rats :D as I knew she wanted to add some babies to her colony and told me she decided to start rescuing following some discussions that we had. She will be discussing with her BF - hopefully two baby boys will find a new home! ((fingers crossed))

That's wonderful, Unepuce! Thank you! Hope it works out. :)

Should have done this a long time ago, but if anyone is interested in adopting, here is where the little ones are:

SPCA Valleyfield
2555 Monseigneur-Langlois
Salaberry-de-Valleyfield, QC
J6S 5P7
(450) 820-9924

The contacts names are Jennifer and Jessica.

temblabamomo said:
So many beautiful ratties. Thank you so much for stepping in to help. If I lived closer I would take a few. Fingers crossed that more people can adopt some rats.

So far things are headed in the rift direction. Although not ideal, they're now on better food, cage and food donations are coming in and, thanks to all the compassionate animal and rat-loving people who heard about them, interest in adoption is growing.

Thanks for the well- wishes, temblabamomo. :)

I pray that all the ratties are in good health and live happy long lives and find their loving, caring, forever homes soon.
Thank you Carolyn of taking on the mumma and her babies, your doing an great job helping out with the rescue.
:thanks:

SarahA said:
I pray that all the ratties are in good health and live happy long lives and find their loving, caring, forever homes soon.
Thank you Carolyn of taking on the mumma and her babies, your doing an great job helping out with the rescue.
:thanks:

Thanks for keeping them in your heart, Sarah. This is my first rattie rescue experience so everyone's support means a lot.

I don't think mama and this little one will be going anywhere. They've found a place on my heart.
e4u2y8us.jpg

Carolyn said:
This is my first rattie rescue experience so everyone's support means a lot.
Congratulations on taking the plunge! You have already made a big difference in all those little rattie lives. :)
They now have a good chance at a loving forever home. AND a couple of them get to stay with you and show you every day how happy they are that you cared enough to do something. :thumbup:

Joanne said:
Carolyn said:
This is my first rattie rescue experience so everyone's support means a lot.
Congratulations on taking the plunge! You have already made a big difference in all those little rattie lives. :)
They now have a good chance at a loving forever home. AND a couple of them get to stay with you and show you every day how happy they are that you cared enough to do something. :thumbup:

Thanks so much, Joanne. As I'm sure you know it's always a group effort to help them out - the amazing people on this forum who offer to take some in or even spread the word; Victoria at the SPCA and OPRR who have offered help, advice and have been looking for adopters; those who have responded to requests for transport, food, and cages. It's all incredibly appreciated!

Back