*** DESPERATELY URGENT SITUATION ***

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn

There are 30 rats in DESPERATE need of homes right now in the Montreal area and THEIR NUMBERS ARE GROWING BY THE DAY! If you have a little space in your home and heart to offer permanently or temporarily, it would be incredibly appreciated.There may also be some pregnant females and there are definitely some young babies. If we can at least get the females out so they can receive appropriate care in the case that they're pregnant and stop the reproducing, then at least it's a step in the right direction.
I'm trying to coordinate transportation right now so I can try to get there and get at least a few of those girls!! They've been at their current location for the past two months living in guinea pig cages (and escaping), hamster cages, aquariums, etc. and eating rabbit food. I've contacted Ottawa Rat Rescue hoping for some help and am awaiting a reply. SPCA were apparently contacted but are full. :( I'm waiting on pics and will post ASAP.

Also, they seem to have little hope for help. I was told that several rescues have been contacted since they've been at their current location but I've been the only person to reply up to now. :(

I can take in injured or older rats...I would prefer not to have pregnant females if possible. :(

Can you tell us more about this situation?

If someone is local, they need to go there and evaluate the situation, sex the males and females and put them in separate cages...tanks for babies and moms, bigger bar spacing for bigger males, etc.

I will keep my fingers crossed for these ratties.

Situations like this can be a nightmare, not knowing how many girls are pregnant etc :(

I've already emailed the contact person. We are trying to help and coordinate transfers/transports eventually if it comes to that. We can't take them at the shelter unfortunately as we are already overcrowded.

Keep us posted, I *might* be able to take a pair in - I can't promise anything right now though, no cage space.
I can also help with transport from TO (perhaps a bit further east - depends) to Hamilton so I can transport ratties to 1095732 if needed.

This is all amazing! Here is the update...

I went with a Vet Tech friend of mine who also has some experience in rat rescue herself. We sexed the rats, grouped them together, made sure they were comfortable with their cage mates, and made suggestions as to how they can better secure the cages. There wasn't actually a lot of moving to be done, but there was one little guy who crawled into the big boy cage and wasn't faring well so I'm glad we got him out and back with his own littler. We explained how to properly handle them and a couple of things about their behavior. Hopefully it will help a little.

Choosing who to bring home was so hard. The coworker who referred me to them (also a Vet Tech) took a wonderful, huge older guy with a bit of a head tilt who we named Dave, and his cage mate (now Tommy) who had a torn nail. They've gone home with her tonight. I left behind a sweet little male who looked like he may have had a health issue in lieu of taking a sweet and gentle mom and her five baby girls who seem to be around one month old. It was in her cage that two babies were found dead so I thought she could use a calmer environment. She seems underweight and they're all eating like they've never seen food! I'll give everyone some extra protein and Missing Link and fruits and veggies, which I don't think they've been getting. Next step is to find a proper cage to house them. They're in a guinea pig cage right now that they can escape from so they're in the cage in my bathtub with a blanket in the bottom until I can find a solution.

As it turns out there are 21 rats in total, including the six I brought home. Hopefully a little more manageable. I've been falling in love and am seriously considering keeping a couple, including the mom, who looks like a little possum! There's also a baby that looks exactly like her. She could melt your heart! I have to say that they really are one of the loveliest and prettiest little group of ratties I've ever met.

Here are some quick pics I took. I'll try to get better ones tomorrow...

4ytu8ere.jpg

Dave

Were the dead babies with your mom, did they have high-white markings? If so, could've been failure to thrive/MC instead.

Lovely lucky little rats!

So there was only 21 rats in total? Less your 6 you took home? Not including the 2 boys? So that's 15 rats left? How old do you think Mom is? Do you think she was one of the babies originally? Any more adult rats or are they all younger now?

Back