*** DESPERATELY URGENT SITUATION ***

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
amanda1472 said:
I live to far to help physically, but I can send a little $ if it is needed.

That is very kind and generous of you. Thank you for your offer. If you would like to donate, you could call the shelter where they're being kept if you'd like and make arrangements with them. They're at the SPCA Valleyfield and the phone number is (450) 377-2428. The contact person's name if Jennifer. If you do decide to flow through but you have trouble getting in touch with them then please let me know. Again, thank you very much for the offer.

victoria said:
I've already emailed the contact person. We are trying to help and coordinate transfers/transports eventually if it comes to that. We can't take them at the shelter unfortunately as we are already overcrowded.

I realize you guys have your hands full. I'm keeping hope that we'll be able to get them out and straight into homes. Thanks for all your help, yet again.

1095732 said:
I could take some in if needed, if we could figure out a way to get them here.

I'd have to figure something out, but if be more than happy to try to coordinate transport for them!

Unepuce said:
:( So sad...

I always wanted to foster a preggie rat, but I am over limit as is right now, timing sucks....

If it's any consolation, there's only girl that my fiend and I think there's a possibility of her being pregnant. Hopefully she isn't.

lilspaz68 said:
Were the dead babies with your mom, did they have high-white markings? If so, could've been failure to thrive/MC instead.

Lovely lucky little rats!

So there was only 21 rats in total? Less your 6 you took home? Not including the 2 boys? So that's 15 rats left? How old do you think Mom is? Do you think she was one of the babies originally? Any more adult rats or are they all younger now?

I don't know what the dead babies looked like. All I know is that it was recent and that one was found dead and the body intact, and the other was dismembered. What are "high-white markings"?

In the case of the one who was found intact, is it possible that mom wasn't able to adequately provide? They were being fed bunny food with no extra protein or fruits or veggies. Mom is on the skinny side and her fur is rough and scraggly. :( I'm now giving them nuts, seeds, cheese, bits of boiled egg, and an immunity-boosting supplement.

The total was 23. I brought home 8 (2 of whom went to their new home last night) and there are now 15 left at the shelter.

I have no idea how old mom is, but I don't think she was one of the babies born there. I actually think she and Big Dave may have been part of the original 6 dumped on the doorstep.

Those who are still in Valleyfield are all pretty young except for the two older boys and one more who I don't recall seeing. If you figure that there were 6 originals about two months ago, no one who is left should be older than since they were all born there.

The pics you have shown of the boys and the mom and the babies all look to be high-white (blazes, white patches, head spots, etc) which can indicate the possibility of megacolon, a genetic condition that hits babies once they start eating solid foods, their bodies are unable to push the food through their digestive tract, and the bloat up with food/gas and die painfully. High white rats are more likely to have MC which is why I asked. There also is a late onset version of MC as well, but the most common one is with tiny babies, and these babies usually show failure to thrive right from the beginning, smaller, unwell, slower in development.

The body being partially eaten of the one baby is an instinctual "cleanup" rats sometimes do. A "predator" could smell the body and come check it out, endangering the colony. Its gross but natural, but it also doesn't happen that often, so don't worry too much.

How old are the "older boys" left behind? And the little boy you were talking about, what do you think is wrong with him?

Carolyn said:
lilspaz68 said:
Were the dead babies with your mom, did they have high-white markings? If so, could've been failure to thrive/MC instead.

Lovely lucky little rats!

So there was only 21 rats in total? Less your 6 you took home? Not including the 2 boys? So that's 15 rats left? How old do you think Mom is? Do you think she was one of the babies originally? Any more adult rats or are they all younger now?

I don't know what the dead babies looked like. All I know is that it was recent and that one was found dead and the body intact, and the other was dismembered. What are "high-white markings"?

In the case of the one who was found intact, is it possible that mom wasn't able to adequately provide? They were being fed bunny food with no extra protein or fruits or veggies. Mom is on the skinny side and her fur is rough and scraggly. :( I'm now giving them nuts, seeds, cheese, bits of boiled egg, and an immunity-boosting supplement.

The total was 23. I brought home 8 (2 of whom went to their new home last night) and there are now 15 left at the shelter.

I have no idea how old mom is, but I don't think she was one of the babies born there. I actually think she and Big Dave may have been part of the original 6 dumped on the doorstep.

Those who are still in Valleyfield are all pretty young except for the two older boys and one more who I don't recall seeing. If you figure that there were 6 originals about two months ago, no one who is left should be older than since they were all born there.

Oh no. That's not good news. What signs should I watch for? Will it ever be safe (or ethical for that matter) to adopt them out?

I'm not sure what is wrong with the little guy. The friend I went with who has more experience than I do said that he had his penis "our" all the time but that it was very young for that to happen. Being a Tech, she also said that he just "didn't seem right" to her. I'm sorry, I realize that's vague. He also has gotten into the cage with the older rats and he may have been nipped as there was some blood on his tail and small streaks on the cage.

The penis out all the time could be paraphimosis or even worse. Can you get him out of there? He needs help ASAP.

If the babies are not showing any symptoms by 6 weeks you are probably in the clear to adopt them out. :thumbup:

lilspaz68 said:
the penis out all the time could be paraphimosis. Can you get him out of there? He needs help.

I feel horrible. I didn't want to leave him behind, but this is all so unexpected and I have no space at all left. I took the family because I was trying to take as many girls off their hands as possible so that there would be no more litters. Even they are inappropriately housed at the moment. I knew I should have brought him!!

I can do my best to get him. The shelter is far from where I live and I don't drive, but I'll try to arrange something. Can you explain a little of what paraphimosos is, please.

More pics...
aha4u7e8.jpg

ybybaqa4.jpg

Those are some.gorgeous ratties! I wish I had room right now to help. I'm too far and full for my house especially with wrenns girls coming to stay.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

lilspaz68 said:
http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4242&hilit=goliath+paraphimosis

What did he look like? Could he have had a big belly?

I didn't notice that he did. Just the unsheathed penis. I don't know if he was licking at it either. I skimmed the info that you gave me and I'll read more thoroughly shortly so I can figure out how to beat help him.

I work as a receptionist at a vet clinic with some very understanding vets. If I know what the treatment is I might be able to get access to it there and minimize costs in case more care is needed.

It all depends on what is causing the pressure pushing his penis out of his body. Goliath was neutered and the swelling pushed it out. If the baby boy has MC then the pressure in his belly could be pushing it out. If he's fine and its just ideopathic paraphimosis (of unknown origin) then metacam is best, and keeping his penis moist.

lilspaz68 said:
It all depends on what is causing the pressure pushing his penis out of his body. Goliath was neutered and the swelling pushed it out. If the baby boy has MC then the pressure in his belly could be pushing it out. If he's fine and its just ideopathic paraphimosis (of unknown origin) then metacam is best, and keeping his penis moist.

A vet visit it is. I'm going to try to get them to get him care ASAP. I've left a voice mail and email but no reply yet. If push comes to shove, I'll so it myself if I can get him (and a friend) from the shelter.

Can someone make space for me and 10 rats? I think a divorce may follow this whole experience. Lol!

Good news. I spoke with the shelter worker and she said his penis has retracted. She's going to keep an eye on it and give me updates.

I also checked the babies' tummies and so far they seem fine, soft and no distention.

I'm concerned about mama rat. Her fur is scraggly and rough and she's pretty skinny. I also haven't seen her groom herself or the babies. She's been eating bunny food throughout her pregnancy and nursing period with nothing to supplement - no fruits, veggies, nuts or seeds. Since yesterday she's been eating like she's never eaten before, devouring the Oxbow and anything else I give her (all of the above plus raw almonds and bits of boiled egg). I'm also supplementing with Missing Link. Is there anything else I can do for her? I'm considering a vet visit.

Back